Slide Brook Lean-to (Dixes)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
Hi !

We are planning the Dixes this Saturday but would like to know if there is any chance the Slide Brook Lean-to would still have 3 spots left. We are planning to be there at around midnight. I thought this wouldn't be a popular trailhead/lean-to since evrybody is doing it as a dayhike, but reading a bit more about it, it seems always full on Saturdays...So if I get this right, there is only one lean-to ? Any nearby tentsites ? water, etc...? We don't see the point of going up further the trail to reach the other lean-to at Lilian Brook.

Where would be nearest campgrounds if it should be full ?

Thanks

Good water and numerous tent sites are found in the immediate vicinity of Slide Brook leanto.

G.

1 lean-to. No way to know until you show up. Midnight on Friday..... might be tough, but you never know. I'd bring a tent as back-up. There are a couple of nice camp areas just before you get there on either side of the trail. It'll be dark, but the areas wouldn't be to difficult to set up a tent if you had to.

Water is not an issue at the site (stream nearby), but can be up on the range.

I camped at Slide Brook back in June and we arrived mid-day on Friday and it was vacant. About 2 hours later a group came in looking for the lean-to as well. We offered it to them but they said they had 5 more people coming

Here are some pictures of the LEAN-TO and of SLIDE BROOK

If you look to the left of the Lean-To you can make out a small bridge. There is a small brook right there. Hope this helps and I will be looking for your trip report when you get back

Adam

Motabobo said:
Hi !

We are planning the Dixes this Saturday but would like to know if there is any chance the Slide Brook Lean-to would still have 3 spots left. We are planning to be there at around midnight. I thought this wouldn't be a popular trailhead/lean-to since evrybody is doing it as a dayhike, but reading a bit more about it, it seems always full on Saturdays...So if I get this right, there is only one lean-to ? Any nearby tentsites ? water, etc...? We don't see the point of going up further the trail to reach the other lean-to at Lilian Brook.

Where would be nearest campgrounds if it should be full ?

Thanks
Ok, you do know the remnants of the tropical storm will be here then, right? Water will not be hard to find! :D Bring a tent! It could be very windy, so make sure it can be securely attached.

Hmmm I think we are better reserve in a campground after all. I remeber crossing one on my way to Upper Works...doesn't seem to be a state campground and I don't remember the name. Can't find any infos on it on the net. Can somebody help ? Or what would be nearest campground ?
Thanks

If you travel to Long Lake there is a public campground called Hoss's they own that whole corner in town. There is an ice-cream stand behind that is the campground and across the street is a country store and gift shop. The distance is about 39 miles so I am guessing there is something closer.

If my memory serves me right, it cannot be Lake Harris, from I-87 it is way before the road that leads to Upper Works. Lake Harris is after that road...I think it is not a NY state campground but it is the closest to Elk Lake for sure !

I believe there is a private campground on Rt 2 that is not far from Elk Lake... Doodles and I went by there this past weekend driving to Keene Valley from hiking Allen on saturday, there is a sign for some kind of private campground there.

I have stayed at Lake Harris too when hiking in Upper Works, it's a nice place and you can also kayak in the lake..

Jay

You're right, I usually come in from the "other side" (not 87). Lake Harris is right near the turn off to Tahawus/upper works but on the Long Lake side.

Motabobo said:
If my memory serves me right, it cannot be Lake Harris, from I-87 it is way before the road that leads to Upper Works. Lake Harris is after that road...I think it is not a NY state campground but it is the closest to Elk Lake for sure !

You're talking about Blue Ridge Falls Campground, on the Blue Ridge Road about halfway between the Northway and the Elk Lake Road,

Blue Ridge Falls Campground
3483 Blue Ridge Road
North Hudson, NY 12855
518-532-7863
1-888-575-3054
http://www.blueridgefallscampsite.com

Their web site appears to be down. If you stay at Slide Brook lean-to or pass by it, let me know if there are any problems, I am the adopter of the lean-to.

Motabobo said:
I thought this wouldn't be a popular trailhead/lean-to since evrybody is doing it as a dayhike,...
I'd disagree with that bit abaout everyone doing it as a day trip. I thnik that most people hike in, set up camp at/near the lean-to and hike the next day. My experience is that of someone working on that trail at least 3 times a year, for the past 10+ years.

Furthermore, the lean-to/camping area tends to be used much more aug/sept than in June/july. The parking lot can fill up as well. There are NO alternative parking areas either.