Slow Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loanshark

Reaction score
While on the Engine Hill Bushwack last week with my Lab Dooley and good friend Ed Smith. I saw alot of deer and moose sign. I didn't see any animals because we were moving pretty quickly and I didn't pay attention to the wind. But that's ok as Mt Isolation as a day hike does not afford one the time to dally. It made me think of a couple of recent hikes I took near my home. One was in June and one earlier this week. I called it a slow hike because there was no peak to bag, and frankly I didn't try to cover more than a couple of miles. I'm fortunate to live near two state forests and some conservation land owned by the town. So I picked a day that had some recent rain to make the ground nice and quiet and put the wind in my face. Not too far into it I got lucky and spotted a good size doe in the wide open. Even luckier to have two fawns at her side. I was dressed in drab colors and was not moving except to point the camera. They didn't stay put for long but I did get the fawns before they followed along with mother. The next hike came during a misty day in June. I was able to get close to several browsing deer, mostly yearling does. There was one young buck growing his first set of antlers. Next up was a pair of birds that I first thought were Robins but turned out to be Rufous sided Towhees. A short while later I came upon a groundhog who panicked when he saw me. I didn't know it but his hole was behind me and he nearly ran me down to get to it. Pretty funny. The last deer encounter was a bedded fawn. I watched her for a while hoping to get a glimpse of it's mother, but the wind was not quite right and she eventually sniffed me out. On my way back home I spotted a large black snake. I'm guessing it was some sort of water snake as there was a swamp nearby. Someday I'm going to put my peakbagging aside for a while and take a slow hike in the whites. Here are some pics. Sorry if some are not quite focused, but these darn deer don't stay still for too long.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580577479jPYSkr?vhost=outdoors

Last edited:
I recently did an early morning trail run, which is relatively quiet, and I counted 14 deer, including two separate young deer that I ran right by, perhaps no more than 15' away. They just watched me go by. It really was fun sneaking up and spooking a few.

slow hike

Thanks for the snake ID audrey. I once found a large one of these with a half ingested chipmonkl. Both dead. Thanks Eddie. Amazing what's out there. I think you were moving a bit faster than me. Probably took them by surprise.

Thanks Sabrina, He behaved himself. Didn't have to leash him. He did cause some comotion. Just as we topped out near Engine Hill I heard all kinds of sceaming coming from up the trail. Turns out a group of girl scouts camped for the night. They thought Dooley was a bear.

I love the one with the fawn, and the way you had a sprinkling branches between you but left the face clear.

Thanks Ellen, It's rare to get so close to fawns that young. They only stayed put long enough for a couple of quick shots.