Slow NH 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
On June 20, 1979 A good friend of mine and I summited Mt. Washington and it was the first of my NH 4000 footers. I finished the 48 on Mt. Jackson this past Sunday, August 6, 2006. This makes it 27 years one month and 12 days for me to go from start to finish. How long did it take you? Anyone out there take longer from start to finish? I expect to give Sapblat a run for his money here. :D

Maybe, just maybe ...

I first did Washington when I was a single digit lad, maybe 8 or 9. At this time I have 17 peaks and do not look forward to Owl's Head. It may take me well into the next life to get them all. Not a priority I guess. But retirement may be in NH and then I would have the time, hopefully the energy.
:rolleyes:
Ohhh .... just turned 57 years young too.

Last edited:
Paradox said:
On June 20, 1979 A good friend of mine and I summited Mt. Washington and it was the first of my NH 4000 footers. I finished the 48 on Mt. Jackson this past Sunday, August 6, 2006. This makes it 27 years one month and 12 days for me to go from start to finish. How long did it take you? Anyone out there take longer from start to finish? I expect to give Sapblat a run for his money here. :D

I have you beat by 14 years:

For WM 48:
#1 Lafayette - September 1964
#48 Carrigain - October 2005

41 years, 1 month

For NE 67:
#1 Katahdin - September 1963
#67 Carrigain - October 2005

42 years, 1 month

Edit: sorry off by a year. Fixed it.

Last edited:
I think this is subject of a previous topic but nonetheless....

My first was in 1972. If I do Adams/Madison later this week as planned, that'll bring my total to 41. So that's 34 years so far. But I'm not sure if I'll ever do Owl's Head.

bob

there was a gentleman at the 2005 awards dinner who finished sometime in 2004 on which mountain I can't recall. He first climbed Mt Adams in 1946.

58 years is likely tough to beat.

Paradox -
That is great that you finished - time does not matter! :)
When I finished my BA I was the graduate that had taken the longest (17 + years!)
My slow hiking has more to do with the time I take on a hike (which is really around average most of the time)...
I am just goofing on the speed hiking as I am in no rush out there - just enjoying the sights...but, to each their own.
Ironically, I was rather quick in finishing the 48...about 6 years I think - the lst 30 were in 5 months - 29 - of the last 30 were in four months - I was a bit obsessed...

Lesson learned, of sorts

I finished in 10 months, 22 days. However, I was rushing to finish. I spent a lot of time strategically planning this trip and that, and I put some unneeded stress on myself. Having said that, I don't regret it. It just altered my way of thinking. At least for now, I'm taking my sweet time in finishing the 67 and 115. It's all about enjoying the process.

First 4K summit was Mt. Flume, via the old Flume Slide Trail, in 1972. I was four. I finished sometime around 1992-1993, so that makes it about twenty years for the first trip through. The second trip through (with my dog this time) was under two years...but I didn't really keep track of the actual dates they were completed....

Owl's Head not so bad

Owl's Head has been mentioned several times in this thread and others in the pajoritive sense. I remember reading the trail guide and maps about Owl's Head. I remember thinking that it seems like work rather than something you do to enjoy yourself. But I found the whole trip to be wonderful. The Wilderness Trail to Black Pond is fast, easy and a nice walk through the woods much of it with the Pemi River beside you. The bushwack is relatively easy through open woods. Avoiding mud is the only part that is not particularly enjoyable. The Lincoln Brook Trail is also fast, easy with a beautiful brook alongside. The views from the top of the Owl's Head Slide are terrific, no signs of human intrusion visible, which is tough to find anywhere, nowadays. The rest of the trip to the viewless summit is short. Owl's head is long in miles but there is less exertion than say the trip up most any other 4000'er, and you are rewarded with some nice views from the slide. In my humble opinion one should hike Owl's Head because it is a very nice hike that will go much faster than book time for most anyone. Don't let the numbers keep you from moving forward on a list. (Can a sentence be an oxymoron?):)

Why does a lot of people say that there not looking forward to Owl's Head??? Just curious.

I'm assuming because it's one of the tougher/longer NH48. I did it when I was 13 or so, it wasn't too bad, and I really enjoyed it, especially the slide views.

That said - once I started hiking in the ADK's on a regular basis, I found that Owls Head was not bad at all when compared to half of those peaks. :D

Congratulations on finishing!

I think it's great that you (and everyone else on the long-term schedule) have been dedicated to hiking for as long as you have. That in itself is admirable and a considerable achievement. It really is about the hike, the adventure, making the most of the experiences you have. Savoring that, for as long as you can, creating memories to last a lifetime as you go along.

It seems I rushed through the list, finishing the end under pressure (long boring story). In total it took two years, two months, and 14 days. I'm glad I did it, but the obsession and the rush have turned me off to lists ever since.

BTW, I loved Owl's Head. Did it as an overnight with "My Pack", making for a very memorable and enjoyable family hike.

My first NH 4K was in September of 2000 when my son and I hiked Lincoln and Lafayette. I finished the NH 48 in November 2005 on Carrigain. So it took me a little over 5 years. I like the lists because they give me ideas to hike in different places. I'm working on the NE 4K's now as well as the NH 4K's in winter. I liked the hike to Owl's Head. I did the bushwack from Franconia Falls and then hiked out on the trails. I did do it as a one night backpack at a very leisurely pace. It is a fairly easy hike over all as Paradox mentions.

Woody

A lot of people do not like Owl's Head because of the distance and I also think a lot of people dislike the Wilderness Trail. Personally, I loved OH, and the Wilderness Trail is always a good warm up or cool down on a long day...

I took 11 years for the NH48. 6 years for the ADK 46. And 14 years for the 115.

I will take that challenge

I think at my last count, I had about 28 or so - I may or may not do the list, I am not a list type of guy at all. People laugh at me all the time, but personally, I am more into the alpine terrain than wooded terrain - that is changing now that I have a young son, so the list just may come my way.

kind of funny when someone who hikes the whites all the time did Rainier before the Bonds!! (did the Bonds for the first time this summer)

My first 4'ker was either flume or lincoln around 1995 or 1996. (see how anal I am about record keeping)

so my point is - I may challenge your slow record...............

giggy said:
I think at my last count, I had about 28 or so - I may or may not do the list, I am not a list type of guy at all. People laugh at me all the time, but personally, I am more into the alpine terrain than wooded terrain - that is changing now that I have a young son, so the list just may come my way.

kind of funny when someone who hikes the whites all the time did Rainier before the Bonds!! (did the Bonds for the first time this summer)

My first 4'ker was either flume or lincoln around 1995 or 1996. (see how anal I am about record keeping)

so my point is - I may challenge your slow record...............

Yeah, but you probably have been on Adams and Jefferson 48 times each! :D