Snow shoe repair

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaFalls

Reaction score
I currently have a pair of Yukon charlie "Mountain" series shoe. The "claws/teeth" on them are cheap metal. They actually got bent out of shape on Saturday's hike up Gothics (another story). I like the step in binding system on the shoes but the claws are worthless. Question. Is there a way to drill out the rivets to the charlie snow pivot/binding piece and replace it with the pivot/binding from my Sherpas. The sherpa bindings are in good shape and the claws/teeth are thick gauge metal and never collapsed and thick enough they can be sharpened. Both type shoes are the same width Any ideas on this. Comments welcomed, Anyone out there can do this kind of replacement.
Thanks.
LavaFalls.

Yukon Charlies are a rip off from Sherpa's so the parts should line up but I would check carefully before drilling out the rivets. I know of a few folks over the years who swapped out the standard Sherpa claws with the tucker claws onto the same underlying binding, they used Stainless steel bolts with nylock nuts in place of rivets, but I expect locktite would work just as well. I would not want to swap out the pivot rod itself from one frame and swap to the other unless I had a good source of the proper material to hang the road from the frame as that is a major stress point. It would be difficult to rivet. If you have to pay someone to repair it, it would be hard for them to compete with the used Sherpa's that end up on Ebay frequently.

This firm in Canada has all the parts for Sherpas http://www.irl.bc.ca/Forestry Supplies/snowshoes-2.htm

Good luck

I just repaired a pair of snowshoes and a single one that had rivets break out. I wasn't sure I could do it, because I couldn't get the holes to line up. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I took a pair of bar clamps and gently pulled the two sides towards each other. I was able to easily line up the holes then and used a bolt with washers on either side and a nylon nut. I'm feeling so good about this repair and knowing that it is possible to keep my gear repaired myself.

I've seen the frames on Yukon Charlies bend, so I don't know how it would work to try to pull together the frame but it worked fine on Tubbs (retired, but giving to a friend) and Atlas (my current back up shoe).

Thanks to Big Earl and Brian for encouragement and ideas!

Peakbagger:
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the old sherpas and its three screws holding the claws to the pivot bar. I can undo those and attach to the other shoes. I would have to drill out the "pins" holding the sherpa back claws and pop rivet? them onto the other shoes. Question... These sherpas are the tubular frame style. The point where the tube is inserted into itself to complete the frame, that part is loose, the tube shifts about a eighth/quarter inch. Any way That can be crimped to hold solid. Thanks again
Lavafalls