snow versus rain??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
don't you get a good laugh at the people you encounter complaining about
"the snow" - my entire work this week/family/freinds that don't hike has been endless complaints about the dreaded/evil "snow" were are going to get on turkey day - you would swear it was the 4 horseman of the apocalypse coming rather than "a dusting to 2 inches" of snow. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I heard about 10 people say yesterday when all the cold rain was coming down - at least it isn't snow? I was just like -what??????

cold rain or snow - maybe only myself and people here can appreciate it - choice seems logial to me - snow!!

I just don't get it - it's damn comical. :D :D

Arthur Fonzarelli-

So agreed - for god's sake - if you live in the northeast - deal with it!! The economy is better in the south - if the weather is that much of an issue to anyone they can move! :D

I like all of the changes - I like hiking in the rain (done plenty of it) or on the snow...the skies and landscapes are a lot more interesting to look at when there are some clouds in the sky.

1. You can't ski in rain.
2. Rain makes ugly photographs unless you are really skilled (and I am not).
3. Rain doesn't brush off.
4. You can't make a rain shelter, a rain man, or rain angels.

I can't wait for more snow.
Sean

I get a kick out of the crazy looks I get when people start complaining about the snow. I usually just say "Oh, well I like the snow." People shake their heads and give me the "you must be crazy look."

Fun fun!

- Ivy

I agree that I'd rather hike in snow than rain, but I can't say the same about driving to the trailhead. (or my annual drive down to my sister's in Connecticut for turkey day.)

Winter is easy. Put on clothes until you are warm enough. In summer, the reverse isn't possible.

Freezing rain is the only weather I'd complain about.

-Shayne

Being outside when it's snowing is the weather equivalent of strawberry ice cream for me. Someone says, "It's snowing," and I'm out the door like a shot. Always been that way.
Another favorite: skating on a lake under a winter full moon. Great date, two sticks and a puck.

Snow, of course!

Hey Fonzie, I'll take snow any day over rain too! If I had the money I'd buy all whiners a ticket to Florida just so I would not have to contend with their complaining and bad driving! :D :D

-MEB

My only problems with snow is the occasional driving problem (mind you franconia notch while spinning is rather interesting). At the same time, direct hits on snowbanks seem to be more forgiving than trees.

As someone who had snowshoes on at 2 and skis on at 3, bring it on.

The first chapter of Calvin Rutstrum's Paradise Below Zero is a paean to the healthful and enjoyable aspects of winter. The rest of the book discusses winter travel and campng techniques, and I mostly recommend it highly. (The "mostly" indicates my dissatisfaction with some of his less-than-PC pronouncements on a few subjects.) Here's a taste from the first chapter:

Along the various arctic coasts, the first major snowfall produces a sense of exhilaration in every Eskimo village -- a jubilation that strikes young and adult alike. This, we may be sure, is no mere caprice of mood prompted by the effects of weather. For the Eskimo, snow foretells a major change in his mode of living -- a sudden heightening of seasonal interest, the beginning of travel by dog sled or motorized toboggan, the visiting of remote villages and outlying trading posts.

Increased mobility obviously does not provide the only advantages to the seasonal change. The very essentials of snow and ice themselves brighten the life of the Eskimo and expand his scope.

When we compare the Eskimo's response to winter in the arctic with the despairing attitude in metropolitan and rural areas of the Temperate Zone toward approaching winter, perhaps we need to examine rather critically the reaction to weather in general as it underlies our own overall mode of life.
. . .
Unfortunately, just about every aspect of urban existence is negative toward the advantages of winter. Superheated home, office, and factory require clothing adaptable to the indoors, with little conversion-facility to cold and snow. . . . And since the urban population lives in homes that are essentially machines , and their travel is primarily in machines, a snowstorm -- natural and magnificent as it can be -- instead of becoming an interesting phenomenon to enjoy, tends to foul up the mechanized order of life, until season after season, city life, maladjusted to winter, sags into a kind of chronic discontent.

Man has largely been fighting the natural elements instead of adjusting to them since he first wandered away form nature's indispensable benefits. . . . He is not likely to exercise vigorously indoors, and if he does, under indoor winter conditions of extremely low humidity and unbalanced oxygenation, the exercise is of questionable benefit, if not harmful -- at best a tragic and needless substitute for the refreshing outdoor life available to him by a few simple rules of daily application.

Hopefully there will always be plenty of whiners....more freshies for us!!

Last edited:
giggy said:
don't you get a good laugh at the people you encounter complaining about
"the snow" - my entire work this week/family/freinds that don't hike has been endless complaints about the dreaded/evil "snow" were are going to get on turkey day

Dunno. Today, riding my bike home from work during rush hour, lots of car-traffic, and I'm sure those stuck in traffic weren't happy, but at every intersection I stopped at, ALL the pedestrians had big smiles on their faces. In spite of blowing snow, and a bitter wind.