Snowstorm tomorrow night! (Not only mountains)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1" of wet snow on the ground in Pomfret, Vt at 1500 feet. This follows 1.1" of rain.

My surveying altimeter indicated a 600 ft increase in "elevation" over the past 12 hours, and my barograph shows almost an inch drop in Hg; pretty impressive, as none of the tropical storms that passed nearby over the past few months topped that, in my recollection.

Isn't that funny? My house rises and falls every time it rains too. Must be plate tectonics or something. And last time I brought that dang machine that tells me how much up and down I'm going on a hike, I climbed 200 feet higher than the summit of the mountain! No wonder I got so tired. Then it snowed so I couldn't even appreciate how much higher I was. Can't figure that out. :p
Interesting that our most dramatic pressure changes happen in fall and spring storms rather than in tropical systems. Tropical systems have the pressure changes concentrated right near the center, which is why the winds are more intense but less widespread. Everybody talks about how much energy is in a hurricane, I wonder if anyone ever figured out how much energy is in a big nor'easter.

Images of light snow around Waterville Valley 10/29

Grabbed a couple of quick pictures this AM. You won't mistake this for the snowfields on Everest, but it was a pretty late fall morning:

DSCN5847.JPG

Tecumseh as seen from Rt 49 in Waterville Valley. Still tufts of grass showing if you look closely.

DSCN5850.JPG

Noon Peak, Jennings Peak, and Sandwich Dome from Waterville Valley. Trees are glazed above about 2500 feet today.

I spoke too soon. It just started snowing in Tamworth.

Interesting that our most dramatic pressure changes happen in fall and spring storms rather than in tropical systems. Tropical systems have the pressure changes concentrated right near the center, which is why the winds are more intense but less widespread. Everybody talks about how much energy is in a hurricane, I wonder if anyone ever figured out how much energy is in a big nor'easter.

I commonly use the "Storm of the Century" in my teaching, the enormous low pressure system that extended along the entire eastern seaboard of the U.S. over 13-14 March 1993, which maintained a central 972 mb (about 28.7 inches Hg) pressure, albiet much higher than most hurricanes.

Did I say tomorrow? I guess I'm getting tired. I was thinking it was Thursday already. I heard on the radio this morning that Sunday River opens for Halloween. That's Friday.

Glad I'm not trick or treating in your neighborhood.

"Trick or treat!"
"I don't have any candy for you, Halloween was yesterday, duh!"
"Let's egg his house!"

Did I say tomorrow? I guess I'm getting tired. I was thinking it was Thursday already. I heard on the radio this morning that Sunday River opens for Halloween. That's Friday.

They will have the upper half of Locke Mtn. open with free skiing on Friday if you're in costume.

Actually, the 1st area to open in the east was in N. Carolina yesterday. They generally do it for a publicity gimmic and then generally shut back down until more consistant cold weather http://www.cataloochee.com/

I'm so ready to hit the slopes...now how can I get out of going to work tomorrow!!!

Today? Tomorrow? Yesterday? What date is this storm happening?

Today? Tomorrow? Yesterday? What date is this storm happening?

what storm? Had some rain and now the sun is out. And due to all the advice, I went out and cleared the market basket shelves becuase I was scared of all the snow. Now I have 60 gallons of milk and 200 bags of bread.