So, Is "the Split" Working?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dug

Reaction score
Since "the split", I don't seem to venture in here. I was curious if the intent of the split of the Q&A Section has had the desired effect.

No comment if I think it's good or bad, just wondering if it has brought some NY folks back into the fold ('specially since there's no baseball to watch :D :eek: ).

I tend not to venture in the NE section either but I occasionally check it out. I tend to venture in a few other forums with an actual catskills 100 section anyway.

What's baseball? :D

Jay

I see a lot of my NY friends back posting again on the NY section. And even more are back reading the posts. And they are posting trip reports back on VFTT, ones that were only going elsewhere.
Big success from what I see and hear.

You're going to HOLLYWOOD...

It's good to have the New York posts sorted out, but I rarely view the New England section anymore. Overall, I'm more likely to check VFTT now, in addition the the other sites. I had been skipping VFTT before the NY section was added. I give it two thumbs up! :D

FWIW, I often skip the NY section because I do most of my hiking etc in NE. Having the NY posts mixed in with the NE posts never bothered me.

So for me, a slight negative.

Doug

I like the split. It's no different than what I do every day on my computer at work: create folders in which similar stuff is placed. More efficient and organized. All the NY info is there, just one mouse click away. With this split, you've enabled my laziness, and I thank you for it.

1ADAM12 said:
I like it better this way personally. If we want to see all posts all we have to do is hit the new posts button and we can see em all :)
Other aspects of the new vs old post determination do not work correctly on this BBS. If these bugs carry over, you might be missing some posts when you use the new posts button.

I use a manual method based upon the posting times to separate new from old.

Doug

unique, I guess

I guess the split benefits me more than most, because the ADK high peaks are a 6-7 hour drive for me, and NH is too far to go at all in a weekend. The rest of the NE115 that I'd be interested in is a major trip for me, maybe once every few years.

I think the split has been useless. We're no closer to having a Vermont Beer Night than before the split. Everybody else gets a beer night (Montreal, Maine, Boston...) why not Vermont?

No big change for me. I still "lurk" in the NY posts and read the NE posts more thoroughly just as I did before the split. But, seeing some of the familiar names back on VFTT makes me happy . . . plus eventually I will convince Brian that driving an extra 2+ hours to hike in the ADKs is totally worth it and THEN, I will have a place I can ask pointed NY questions without having it be buried. Also, I see an increase in NY trip reports so that is a bonus for the site as a whole?

So, overall a small "plus" but really mostly nothing's changed. :D

sli74

For the most part it has had no impact for me. I use the "new posts" feature and have learned its quirks -- which are the same with or without a separate NY forum.

Where the new section is a plus for me is that it is easier to find a NY thread that is a few days old, and I have some more info that I want to post. So it saves me some time.

But more importantly it has revived some of the NY membership which is a plus for us all.

I wonder if I should have asked this question in the New England Q&A?

However, glad to have everyone back!

I read both

but for whatever reason, and it's probably not the split, it doesn't seem like there are as many new threads (combined) and so I'm frequently disappointed when there's nothing new to read.
I read a lot of different hiker forums but this was the one I liked the best. Now, old stuff lingers forever.