Solo hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"walk in the woods"

I agree with Pete, a "walk in the woods" it simply is walking in the woods. Throw in a little common sense & the proper equipment for the nature of the hike/walk & time of year and 99.9% of the time your going to have a good experience. There's not much out there really trying to harm you.

Last edited:
If you are hiking in winter solo on an unbroken trail, then it is harder than when you have others to share trail-breaking duty with. Other than that, there is not much difference in difficulty solo or group.

Rivet said:
If you are hiking in winter solo on an unbroken trail, then it is harder than when you have others to share trail-breaking duty with. Other than that, there is not much difference in difficulty solo or group.
Not always--trail breaking can be easy or easier. Or even enjoyable. Particularly downhill on skis (first tracks). :)

Doug

Last edited:
Now that you've had the operation Pete (Pierrette) how much quicker do you get to the summit of Dix now that you don't have to stop and adjust your makeup?
Just to get some comparison figures here; Julie, how much time do you spend on an average hike fixin' your eyeshadow an' stuff? Should I factor that in for our big upcoming hike?

I was in Price Club this morning and I see they now sell home kits for the do-it-yerself crowd. Is that what you used Pete? Great gift idea but I thought they could have provided something bigger than a dental mirror.

Neil said:
Just to get some comparison figures here; Julie, how much time do you spend on an average hike fixin' your eyeshadow an' stuff? Should I factor that in for our big upcoming hike?

What you should factor for our big upcoming hike is how big is the make-up case that you will carry up for me. Because you want me to look good on the summit pictures, right ? Isn't the reason why you want to hike with me ? Just to show off summit pictures with a chick ?

timmus said:
What you should factor for our big upcoming hike is how big is the make-up case that you will carry up for me. Because you want me to look good on the summit pictures, right ? Isn't the reason why you want to hike with me ? Just to show off summit pictures with a chick ?
I really think it would be especially nice if you look your finest (perfect makeup job, every hair in place) and put on a tight cocktail dress (I'll zip you up) while you make clever conversation. After all, it is my birthday and I'm an aging, silver haired, Mercedes driving gentleman.

(I want the pics to impress my hick friends from Winnipeg.)

Neil said:
I really think it would be especially nice if you look your finest (perfect makeup job, every hair in place) and put on a tight cocktail dress (I'll zip you up) while you make clever conversation. After all, it is my birthday and I'm an aging, silver haired, Mercedes driving gentleman.

(I want the pics to impress my hick friends from Winnipeg.)

By impress you mean comments like: "Why is that chick in the tight dress on top of a mountain with that old guy?"

I can't resist,

She is up there trying to give him a heart attack so she can drive the Mercedes away. Why else did she pack bricks in her make up kit & make teh old guy carry it! :D

You'd be better off going with someone ugly you owe money too but they are not named in your will. They're guaranteed to make sure you make it back to work. (Don't bring a forger though :rolleyes: )

Neil said:
Referring to hiking alone as solo does have overtones of performance, grandstanding, seeking to distinguish, whatever.

With all due respect, I completely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm not involved with any peak-pagging or list-doing type of situation, but I don't know how I can be grandstanding if I'm alone! I'm quite certain that the trees and the moose and the ravens are not oggling my "accomplishments". I just like to be in the forest, and when you're alone you see and experience things that aren't possible, or extremely unlikely, if you're in a group of hikers.

My wife hikes with me in the summer and autumn. This is great because we are on the same wavelength. We are so close that silence is not uncomfortable. We often take an unpopular trail at a slow pace, then quietly slip off-trail and into the wind...........

Reactions: dms
Being in nature alone, quiet, thoughtful, joyful, open and alive is the best therapy in the world. It's what I need to keep me feeling okay with existing in this world. When I don't have it, the best part of who I am shrivels up. When I do have it I'm euphoric and complete. Whatever you call being in the woods on your own is unimportant. For many of us who seek solitude from time to time it just becomes a necessity that's rather un-nameable. It feeds the soul. How 'bout we call it Solitary Soul-Feeding?
:)

I think it's interesting how much interest this thread has produced.

forestnome said:
With all due respect, I completely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm not involved with any peak-pagging or list-doing type of situation, but I don't know how I can be grandstanding if I'm alone!
Not hiking solo, referring to it as solo, as in, "I solo'd Phelps yesterday". As if "soloing" it raised it to another level. One could simply say, "I hiked Phelps yesterday". I agree that while yer out there your not reaping any applause.

While we're at it and I'm being a crusty old guy :mad:, I also don't like it when people say they "climbed" Marcy or whatever mtn. The vast majority of the peaks we ascend in the NE are hikes, not climbs.

I'm another person who hiked alone a lot when I first became a frequent hiker simply because most of my friends didn't hike much. Within a few months I met many hiking partners through this site and the 3500 Club. Now I can often find partners pretty easily, but I also still really enjoy hiking alone, whatever we choose to call it. Pretty much for the reasons others have listed here.

I had a memorable experience last summer in the western Catskills. I bushwhacked a little place called Cradle Rock Ridge, then headed towards Beaver Meadow leanto. Some friends from my ADK chapter were doing trail maintenence that day and my intent was to do a little work that afternoon, then work w/ them all the next day. By the time I arrived at the leanto, I was kind of tired and very wet from wet brush. I wanted to rest and dry out a bit. The guys came back to the leanto in a short time and I apologized for not having got any work done, and said I was good for the whole next day. They said they were pretty much done, the trail had been in much better shape than they expected, and they didn't even need to bother spending the night, as they had planned.

They left after an hour or so, but I had schlepped in everything, so I figured I'd spend the night. The only problem-nothing to do! I'm one of those people who always has to have something to do. If I'm alone, I better have a guitar on which to practice, or a good book to read, movie to watch, something. Obviously I had nothing of the kind. I hadn't brought a book, since I figured I'd have leanto mates to chat with. So, after eating dinner and cleaning up camp, I just... sat there.

I ended up just sitting there for a good two hours doing absolutely nothing until I was tired enough to get in the bag. Fireflies filled Beaver Meadow as it got dark, and just about exactly at 9, coyotes starting yipping up on Millbrook Ridge-like they had punched the clock for the night shift or something! It was kind an interesting, repetitive rhythm they had happening. I realized sometimes it's really great to do nothing and just be. Sorry to get all Zen, but it really was pretty nice. That's what I think of when I think "solo."

Matt

Last edited:
mcorsar said:
sometimes it's really great to do nothing and just be. That's what I think of when I think "solo."
Hey Matt, now you are a true human being as opposed to a human doing.

forestnome said:
With all due respect, I completely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm not involved with any peak-pagging or list-doing type of situation, but I don't know how I can be grandstanding if I'm alone!

it seems we agree (there's a first for everything, right?)

Neil said:
While we're at it and I'm being a crusty old guy , I also don't like it when people say they "climbed" Marcy or whatever mtn. The vast majority of the peaks we ascend in the NE are hikes, not climbs.

neil, it's all love man, but i gotta disagree. to me, a climb is a climb. whether you walk up in flip flops, or do a 5 pitch trad route, it's all just a different take on getting up a mountain. and if you wanna get really technical, you could say that these typical hikes are class 1-3 climbs. ;)

holla. tronix.

Gosh, after all these years I thought I was climbing the stairs out of the cellar when I was actually hiking them. Interesting. Good to know. ;)

JohnL

dr_wu002 said:
My god, this is just (trivial) semantics... hiking, climbing, walking. Whatever you want to call it you're still doing the same thing.

-Dr. Wu
Yes Sir ! Lordy knows I'd rather be doing it, whatever it's called, then talking about it.