Solo hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to hike solo, but I also like to hike with other people as well. Both have there own pro's and con's. I generally consider it a solo hike when I am not planning to meet anyone. I may run into other hikers on the trail but I am prepared to deal with most contingencies myself. I hiked Cannon yesterday. I ran into one lady and her dog on the way up and on the way down I ran into two guys going up. I spoke with each briefly, but it was still a solo hike to me. Last winter I drove up to Pinkham Notch by myself and planned to hike up Washington by the Lions Head trail by myself. On that hike, although I planned on a solo, I was generally within 50 yards of at least a couple of other groups of hikers. To me this was still a solo hike. I went at my pace. I decided alone when to take a break. I decided what trails to take. I was prepared to take care of myself and to make conservative decisions based on being solo.

If I ended up hiking keeping pace and generally taking breaks or otherwise hanging with other hikers, then I would no longer have been solo. I have started hikes solo, and hooked up with other hikers for the remainder of the hike. It is a great way to meet interesting people.

I think that in general, a solo hike is one is which there's little expectation to see another hiker on the trail. Consequently, hikes up Lafayette, Washington, Pierce, etc, would rarely be considered solo hikes. On the other hand, doing something like Jefferson or the Hancocks by yourself, especially midweek, would be considered a solo hike as the likelihood of encountering someone else, much less old friends, is small.

Kevin Rooney said:
I think that in general, a solo hike is one is which there's little expectation to see another hiker on the trail. Consequently, hikes up Lafayette, Washington, Pierce, etc, would rarely be considered solo hikes. On the other hand, doing something like Jefferson or the Hancocks by yourself, especially midweek, would be considered a solo hike as the likelihood of encountering someone else, much less old friends, is small.
Hey wait a minute, you've got a 150lb dog with you on yer "solo" hikes! :p ;) :D :D

-Dr. Wu

rhihn said:
(Pete, let me know if you want any further assistance...):D
Thanks Dick. I think you've convinced them that I'm serious.

For me, going alone isn't something that is a test of independence, or self sufficiency or anything like that. It is a kind of freedom. I can hike at the speed that I prefer. I can stop or not stop when I prefer (I tend to prefer not stopping to rest). I can change my destination mid-trip... That doesn't cause a problem with the description of where I'm hiking, because I usually leave a vague description of where I'm going... Something like, "I'm going to New Hampshire", or 'I'm going down to the Adirondacks."

I think I prefer the term 'hiking alone' rather than hiking solo. It sounds less pretentious to me. I never even thought about smoe trails being more crowded or that I would be alone on some. That is a condition that exists whether I'm hiking alone or not. I must say, that at times such as an early November, mid-week bushwhack between Redfield and Skylight, when the weather turned bad, and I realized that If anything happened....

For me, going solo just means that I'm by myself, setting my own pace, not having to wait or struggle to keep up with a companion, or make a group decision about which route to take or when to turn back.

However, I prefer to "solo" on a trail where I see other people at least occasionally, and have someone to chat with now and then. I still get a little spooked when I go for long stretches with out seeing or hearing anybody else.

Bushwacking alone can be very exciting and exhilirating, but, at the same time it can also put you at the very edge of your self control. I've had those moments of doubt of whether I am on the right track, did I hear something near me, the edge of panic just starting to seep into my stomach, the thought of what the hell am I doing this for. But then again, when it all flows together, and you just know no one else is around you, and today this part of the world is yours alone, well that's a fantastic feeling.

I sometimes hike/bushwack with others, sometimes alone/solo. No big deal either way. (I've been hiking for many years.)

When solo, it is nice to be able to pick one's own pace, stop when one wants, etc. When in a group, the company of the others can be enjoyable. When solo, I am more aware of my surroundings and I make a point of being in total control at all times--if there is a problem, there is no one to help recognize it or fix it...

Doug

dr_wu002 said:
Hey wait a minute, you've got a 150lb dog with you on yer "solo" hikes! :p ;) :D :D -Dr. Wu
Yup, lots of truth in that!

Actually, since he's come into my life, I haven't done much solo hiking except for some Sierra peaks, glacier climbs, Lions Head winter route, etc. More often than not over the past 5 years am hiking with friends.

sapblatt said:
but if you were to tell everyone that "you hiked solo" what would it mean to you?

To me, it would mean that I did not hike with a partner. If other hikers are around, I may still be hiking "solo" but would not be "alone."

rhihn said:
The definition of hiking solo for me is not the number of people I might expect to encounter on any given trail. It is whether or not I set out alone, with no expectation of interaction with or assistance from others (even if it's Mt. Marcy!).

Dick

That works for me. No need to parse or complicate it further.

G.

To repeat what some said here... to me, solo hiking to me means that I have full control over the logistics and decisions of the hike.
If doing Tux on a weekend I don't really consider it a hike, but a stroll in the woods - not that the trail differs, but the atmosphere changes.

One of the things I enjoy about solo hiking is that I know that if something goes wrong I get to use my tools, experience, and ingenuity to Mcguyver myself out of it :D

I'm getting the impression that some think that hiking alone is something to BRAG about.

Why? It isn't difficult. It's just something to do.

Especially in MY case. I mean, the reason I hike alone is because everyone hates hiking with me (especially since the operation). Not really something to brag about, is it?

I started this thread and I was just curious (I am not working on any grand soloing list or anything like that)...I like hiking alone and with others (most others ;) )I have enjoyed all of the responses!

The one who does not like me hiking alone is the Mrs...17/18 in 2004 were solo - 2/40 in 2005 were solo...

Interestingly, even when I am with a group I am prepared to spend a night (it would be nice if I was not prepared, as my winter pack would weigh about 15 pounds!) :D - I try to be self reliant in that respect - and it is nice to be in a position to help others that may need it.
The only thing I really prefer when soloing is my near constant obsession that I am causing the group to be slower than they want to be - I know this quite irrational as I am an average hiker and the people I hike with love the outdoors and are not racing. When I am alone this never matters...

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
I'm getting the impression that some think that hiking alone is something to BRAG about.

Amen. I started hiking alone because it was difficult to find hiking partners. Strictly a practical matter. Discovered along the way that I enjoyed my own company quite a bit. Nice revelation. Also have come to enjoy the sense of independence inherent in going it on my own. Good to know I can be comfortable that way. But nothing in it is heroic or dramatic enough for me to boast about, and that's for sure.

G.

Grumpy said:
Discovered along the way that I enjoyed my own company quite a bit.
That is something I have found. Not everyone can spend too much time with themselves.

I kind of enjoy spending several days alone. It's kind of funny after being alone in the woods for a few days... of course you don't speak at all... so, several days without talking, they you cross someone on the trail, and say. "Hi", and wonder if a sound will still come out.

If there is anything to brag about, I'd say it its the ability to be comfortable alone with yourself.. But this has nothing to do with hiking. It can be done in a closet.

sapblatt said:
I started this thread and I was just curious (I am not working on any grand soloing list or anything like that)...I like hiking alone and with others (most others ;) I have enjoyed all of the responses!

The one who does not like me hiking alone is the Mrs...17/18 in 2004 were solo - 2/40 in 2005 were solo...

Spousal resistance is a difficult thing to overcome. Mrs. Grumpy and I have been married more than 37 years. Our goals and ambitions are not always in perfect synch, by any means. My deal with Mrs. Grumpy long has been that she is welcome to join in on my hikes, if she is willing to do what I plan and hope to do. This is a fair deal. I often have modified my plans to accommodate Mrs. Grumpy's preferences. In return, she accepts my going off on my own or with others on hikes she does not wish to try, even if she is not entirely comfy with it.

We take the usual precautionary steps, with itinerary planning, discipline about staying with the plan, timetables, etc., to cope with fears and concerns about my safety.

Most important, though, I think, is that Mrs. G and I have agreed that if something terrible does befall me while I am hiking (alone, or with others) there can be sadness and grief aplenty, but no anger or recriminations over it. It is an old idea that if you truly love someone you must be willing to give that person his or her freedom, without reservation. But coming to accept that as a couple can take some time.

G.

Pete_Hickey said:

Why?
Because people often consider it to be ballsy and are uneasy hiking alone. It's a macho thing.

Often, if I don't hike alone I don't hike period because Thursday is my best hiking day. Turns out the conversation is pretty satisfying cuz I agree with most of what I say.

Actually it's pretty weird spending an entire day without saying a single word.

As far as decisions, pace and choices go there's no difference whether I hike alone or with others because I always do whatever I want and the others have no choice but to go along with me or I get really, really angry and violent.

Pete_Hickey said:

On VFTT, you're right, there's nothing to brag about because it's common.

But tell that to all women I passed by, horrified by the fact that I was alone on the trails. Or to my friend who used to call her boyfriend at the summit, just to tell him that she haven't been attacked by a maniac (yet).

Some people just prefer having someone to talk to, but some others are just too scared to be alone in the woods. Remember Blair Witch Project ?

Pete_Hickey said:
I like to hike solo, because I'm an unsociable bxxxxrd. I'm a grouch, and just prefer being alone. So, I'm alone, whether I'm on a busy trail, or whether I'm doing a winter bushwhack between two remote peaks. Same thing to me... I don't have to waste my time talking to anyone.

Unfortnately, since my accident a few years ago, my family is pushing me not to hike alone.... So... to anyone I've been hiking with lately.. I'm just hiking with you to shut up my family... Sorry, but you must know how unsociable and unfriendly I am, right?

It is because you are an unsociable bxxxxrd that I want to hike with you. There will be no small talk. If we walk 15' from each other this week-end, can I say it was a solo hike ?

I've always enjoyed being alone. When I was a kid I liked being home alone, and many afternoons I just walked around in the woods by myself. If I was with a friend, it was usually with some purpose or destination, but by myself I'd just explore.

That being said, my hiking alone is usually just because I have days off mid-week, and usually don't plan trips until last minute. I don't think I'd mind having company, but I'm just used to going alone. Sometimes I wish I could do a car spot, however, and that might induce me to invite a partner.

The keys to solitude in the White Mountains have mostly been covered here. Get up early, hike on a weekday, hike in the spring or fall. During busy times, pick a "lost" trail, or a non-4K mountain. Even on a 4K, there's often a "back" route that's less crowded. Don't take the shortest trail. It's still possible to have a trail all to yourself if you want.

timmus said:
But tell that to all women I passed by, horrified by the fact that I was alone on the trails.
Well, I guess things are different with a woman. I didn'T think about it, because I'm no longer a woman. Come to think about it... there are a lot of women who can't go to a bathroom in a resturaunt alone!

If we walk 15' from each other this week-end, can I say it was a solo hike ?
Oh, I think so.... at least for one of us.