Solo hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timmus said:
On VFTT, you're right, there's nothing to brag about because it's common.
Bazz fazz. (Pogo)

If you know what you are doing, it is no biggie. IMO, you don't need someone else to validate it for you.

But tell that to all women I passed by, horrified by the fact that I was alone on the trails. Or to my friend who used to call her boyfriend at the summit, just to tell him that she haven't been attacked by a maniac (yet).
The biggest thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Doug

My wife does not mind me hiking solo. She realizes that I am usually well prepared and have not gotten mauled, eaten or trampled by wild animals so far. She thinks I am quite nuts for getting excited about seeing wildlife, but has accepted that I probably won't get hurt from that.

All she asks is that I phone her when I am done. If I do not do so on a timely basis, she will worry, especially if I go solo.

I do a lot of solo hikes and enjoy getting a chance to observe nature at my own pace and collect my tangled thoughts. To date, 42 of my 66 New England HH have been solo ascents. I also do a lot of solo hikes in Eastern Massachusetts and Western Maine. Still, I definitely prefer to hike with others, including several fine folks from VFTT. :D

Grumpy said:
Most important, though, I think, is that Mrs. G and I have agreed that if something terrible does befall me while I am hiking (alone, or with others) there can be sadness and grief aplenty, but no anger or recriminations over it. It is an old idea that if you truly love someone you must be willing to give that person his or her freedom, without reservation. But coming to accept that as a couple can take some time. G.
Agreed - this is the same understanding my wife & I have shared for many years.

Neil said:
Actually it's pretty weird spending an entire day without saying a single word.

I've found that if I do not take my meds, the voices keep me company on solo hikes. ;)

Pete_Hickey said:
I'm getting the impression that some think that hiking alone is something to BRAG about.
Whether they chose to brag about it or not is up to the individual and is relative - for someone not in touch with nature as us :D they might brag if they spent a night in the woods alone.

Plus, going solo on more technical terrain might be more of an achievement than hiking solo on flat terrain.

timmus said:
But tell that to all women I passed by, horrified by the fact that I was alone on the trails. Or to my friend who used to call her boyfriend at the summit, just to tell him that she haven't been attacked by a maniac (yet).
You're right... my girlfriend will NOT hike alone. I don't think it has to come down to that, there are precautions that one can take, but I can't change how she feels.

I’m in the same camp with Grumpy on this one. My wife no longer hikes but she knows that hiking is an integral part of who I am. She sometimes encourages me to go hiking even if it’s at the last minute and there’s no chance of getting a partner. I always leave my itinerary with my wife and I always call her at the earliest possible time when down from a hike to give her piece of mind.

She would prefer that I go hiking with others but she does not impede my hiking alone. I tell her all about my hike when I get home, the fun parts, the photos and even the parts that would scare her; spooking a bear, twisting a knee, sliding down an ice slope. It’s all part of her understanding that I am a competent hiker, I don’t take unnecessary risks and I’m resourceful enough to get myself out of most tricky situations.

I’ve hiked solo so many times that I don’t prepare for a solo hike any different than I do when I go with someone. In both instances I prepare to be self sufficient as do most of my hiking partners.

There are two great pleasures when hiking solo; one is having the trails completely to yourself and the other is meeting hikers who are having a great day.

JohnL

marty said:
My wife does not mind me hiking solo. She realizes that I am usually well prepared and have not gotten mauled, eaten or trampled by wild animals so far.
Too many times I've come home with broken bones, and now I am being encouraged to go with others. I never should have told her about waking up in a pool of blood at the bottom of that cliff. Next time it happens, I know I won't mention it.

You know.. come to think of it... I'll bet she's been PAYING those people who've hiked with me recently. Last weekend, when I did a solo walk, she was probably short of money.

Neil said:
One gets more used to it after the third day, although I the last time I was alone in the woods for three days, I did find myself talking to the deerflies... It was more yelling at them.

Neil said:

I solve that issue by talking to myself out loud. Like you, I'm always right.

Since joining VFTT I rarely hike alone or solo or whatever is the politically correct term. I do enjoy it though as I can do whatever I want, when I want. I wonder what the correlation between married/unmarried people who prefer solo/group hikes is... :rolleyes:

-Shayne

What I've learned about others & me hiking alone:

Neil & I are not related, while I don't hear a sound, the thoughts running through my head (someone else used the voices in their head line already) are far from quiet.

Pete, the closet comment, way too much information :eek:

John, so on our hike a few years ago in the Presidentials, did you solo Clay while I walked around & solo Ike while I went down Ammo? I'll give you credit for soloing the Mt. Clinton Road. (Only kidding but would like to hike together this year)

Solo

You can do a drum solo, a guitar solo, a flute solo etc. That's a performance in front of an audience for applause. Referring to climbing solo on a technical route is worthy of the term because when with a rope partner the technical work is usually shared to some extent. Climbing alone unroped is a very different proposition.

Referring to hiking alone as solo does have overtones of performance, grandstanding, seeking to distinguish, whatever. In fact, you are doing the exact same thing as if you had a partner(s) with the difference that the partner aint there. You can scratch where it itches (like a monkey at the zoo :p :D) without embarassing anybody.

When I was living at home my dad would ask me to play my flute solo - so low he couldn't hear it.

Soloing is my thing right now. To me its the purist form of mountain climbing as you have only yourself to rely on. MY project now is soloing all the 14ers in the continental US. Im almost halfway, most have come in the summer but I have bagged some in the winter, being solo though really limits the safety margin in the winter so I back off of alot of big peaks in the winter due to avalanche concerns.
Like I said to me its pure, I leave no itinary, I go in alone and come out alone, any mishaps are handled by yours truley. Go ahead and flame me if you must, but this form of hiking/climbing to me is the cumulation of over 20 yrs in the backcountry. Soloing all the 14ers is a gift to myself for taking the time to learn about the mountains all these yrs and to experience them fully on my owm, to savor the views, make decisions on snow, routes and weather with no other input other then my own experience. So far its been more then I expected, after years of hiking Im recharged and excited on every new mountain I approach in my quest.
Many question my motives and rules regarding my choice of climbing style, but I sum it up like this, I have faith in myself and I have faith in God to see me through this journey, I will succeed, proboly in the next 2 yrs hopefully, if something where to happen in my quest, then I submitt to fate, so be it.

As far as the bragging thing goes, anyone who resorts to bragging about climbing mountains just misses the whole point and will never reap what the mountains have to offer.

JohnL said:
She would prefer that I go hiking with others but she does not impede my hiking alone. I tell her all about my hike when I get home, the fun parts, the photos and even the parts that would scare her; spooking a bear, twisting a knee, sliding down an ice slope.
My wife is similiar in terms of encouraging me. She doesn't, however, want to hear any of the nasty bits - just that I'm down safely. Occasionally I'll tell her there some 'tough sections', but she trusts my judgement, and the details can make her uncomfortable, so we have an understanding.

king tut said:
Is there a patch or some kind of recognition for hiking solo for the 4k's or whatever list?
I don't think the decision makers want to encourage solo hiking, safety concerns probably. Anyway, can you imagine the scene ? 5 guys show up at a trail-head and head off 10 minutes apart so they can claim a "solo". Or you're trying to get a "solo" and you run into someone ? Or you violate the "tenants of solo'ing" by borrowing someone elses gear for the hike ? :rolleyes: Too many permutations.

I use the term "solo" because it takes less energy than saying "I really wanted to do this hike but no one else wanted to and I just decided to do it and wound up hiking alone."

Pete_Hickey said:
If there is anything to brag about, I'd say it its the ability to be comfortable alone with yourself.. But this has nothing to do with hiking.

True. But hiking alone requires more than being comfortable with yourself. It takes some practical skills, too, of which one can be, well, not boastful, but at least moderately proud. Within reason, of course. 'Cause, after a while you do realize you're just walking around. Usually in circles of 8-12 miles. That's when you start a new hobby, like ice climbing.

There are times I like to hike solo and times I do not. Solo to me means starting and completing the hike by yourself. If you happen to meet people along the way, great. If you happen to hike with them for a portion, I still consider it solo hiking, just a pair of solo hikers whose paths crossed for however brief a time.

I enjoy the company of others most of the time, but not all of the time. There are times I just need my solitude, to reflect, think, and clear my head. When I stumble across people on the trail, they'll often find me talking or singing to myself. It may seem a little strange, until you've spent any time hiking solo. I enjoy moving at my own pace, stopping when I want, and not having a timetable.

But, I'm also a social butterfly (or maybe moth?) and do enjoy the company of others. In the winter I try not to hike solo, "just in case", but also don't depend on others to make my day.

I don't look for glory in my hiking, I could care less about it. Sure, there are defining moments in which I have learned something tangible, but overall I just enjoy being in the woods.

Neil said:
Referring to climbing solo on a technical route is worthy of the term because when with a rope partner the technical work is usually shared to some extent. Climbing alone unroped is a very different proposition.

Referring to hiking alone as solo does have overtones of performance, grandstanding, seeking to distinguish, whatever. In fact, you are doing the exact same thing as if you had a partner(s) with the difference that the partner aint there.
Interesting perspective. I would have to really agree. Basically I'm hiking alone if it's just me and with someone else if someone else is there. Still walkin'. I guess there is the safety issue -- if I fall, my partner can go get help, but for the most part, if I'm on a trail I usually see at least 1 person. Also, both me and my partner could get hurt so you never know. I like your post, Neil.

-Dr. Wu

It still gets me. This 'dangerous, and you've got to know what you're doing.'' Kind of like the 'Kids at home: Don't do this.... Professionals only."

Heck LIFE is dangerous. How about these dangerous tings to do solo. Walk out of a bar on a friday night and cross the street. Drive in Boston. Take an uptown IRT alone at night in Manhattan. Go swimming on a full stomach!

Wanna do something real dangerous? BECOME A FARMER!

I don't do those things. I just take a walk in the woods. And if I die because of some small accident where I would have survived if I had a companion with a cell phone...Them's the breaks. Probability is that it won't happen.

Pete_Hickey said:
Heck LIFE is dangerous. How about these dangerous tings to do solo. Walk out of a bar on a friday night and cross the street. Drive in Boston.

Truer words were never spoken. I had to drive in and out of Boston twice on Tuesday. Now that was scary!! :eek:

Pete_Hickey said:
It still gets me. This 'dangerous, and you've got to know what you're doing.'' Kind of like the 'Kids at home: Don't do this.... Professionals only."

Heck LIFE is dangerous. How about these dangerous tings to do solo. Walk out of a bar on a friday night and cross the street. Drive in Boston. Take an uptown IRT alone at night in Manhattan. Go swimming on a full stomach!

Wanna do something real dangerous? BECOME A FARMER!

I don't do those things. I just take a walk in the woods. And if I die because of some small accident where I would have survived if I had a companion with a cell phone...Them's the breaks. Probability is that it won't happen.
I will always believe the most dangerous part of the hike is the drive to the trailhead!