SOLO-WFA Thank You

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakn

Reaction score
Just want to post a big THANK YOU to the VFTT'rs that attended the SOLO Wilderness First Aid course that we (WVAIA) held in Waterville Valley this weekend. It was nice to meet you and put a face to the screen names. Your participation definitely added to the success of the program. Thanks to- Seema and Brian (Sli74), Jen (Toe Cozy), David (Nartreb) and Mark (Silverfox).

Hope to see you on the trails!

Harry

I'd been wanting to take this course for a long time so thank you for posting the opportunity here at VFTT. I don't know if they assigned you Aaron or if you "picked" him, but I thought he was an excellent instructor.

I feel like I learned a ton of useful information and will be more prepared (both mentally prepared and prepared with improved skills) for unexpected situations/injuries in the woods.

I would encourage anyone to take a WFA course. Having a chance to practice carrying an "unresponsive" person out of a tangle of small trees up through knee to thigh deep snow and rock covered slope was a real eye opener. Having a chance to experience being a "patient" waiting for a rescuer in single digit temperatures really brought home the importance of insulation from the elements as soon as possible. Made me truly appreciate the importance of the extra safety gear some of us carry (closed cell foam pad, a sleeping bag and a windproof/waterproof "shelter") in the winter. I'll probably start carrying versions of them in other seasons too.

Thanks Harry!

Jen

I second everything Jen said. Thank you VERY much Harry for posting this on VFTT. The course was a lot of fun and super informative. Aaron was such a great instructor. I am looking forward to taking a WFR course sometime in the next couple of years.

sli74

Appreciate your comments. I wish I could take credit for choosing Aaron, but he was assigned. He did a terrific job. Thanks again.
Harry

What Jennifer said...

Classroom stuff is what it is...the instructor, Aaron, did a great job keeping us on course and focused..

The group was quite diverse and interesting..seemed like old friends by sunday afternoon...

The outside stuff though..that is where the learning was...I was in Jen and Seema's group trying to move a good sized unresponsive guy out of a brookbed..snow was to my waist..hard work moving someone with no place to stand...we ended up doing it 6 inches at a time until we could get him on a pad and drag him..Lots of exertion...In the other group Brian hurling out oneliners a mile a minute..very distracting..but focused we were and our patient was made comfortable quickly..

In another secenario..as an unresponsive patient...heavy snow..temps in the teens..it did not take long to chill out and this helped you think of what made you comfortable..(keep snow off face for one) to help your patient the next time

bottem line...a lot of good comes out of a course like this.. we are presented with many different risks and scenarios in the mountains..a little practice both in a single and group rescue effort goes a long way to building confidence and making the journey safer...

thanks Harry for getting it going

Not only is Harry a whiz at organizing, he looks pretty spiffy with his leg in an improvised splint!