South Twin and Galehead, January 10, 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pix, so that's what it looks like in winter. This the trip several years ago with a couple of 100 feet of visibility.

Great trip report - nice to see you again (Sabrina, Michael, Kevin, (Bob, Geri)), and nice to meet you (Dave, (Trish, and someone else whose name slipping me at the moment)). Also, thank you to the other group for breaking so much trail for us! I know you're reading this! :)

Some more photos:

galeheadmtntrail-2009-0110a.jpg

The Frost Trail near the top of Galehead Mountain

southtwinmtntrail-2009-0110a.jpg

The Twinway near the top of South Twin Mountain

southtwinmtnsummit-2009-0110b.jpg

The Presis when we went to South Twin with MichaelJ

What a gorgeous day to be out - great pictures by all.

The one of Terra is awesome! The crossed paws and relaxed gaze say it all - another canine beast at home in the hills, enjoying the scenery just like her fellow two legged caretakers.

The one of Terra is awesome! The crossed paws and relaxed gaze say it all - another canine beast at home in the hills, enjoying the scenery just like her fellow two legged caretakers.

I think there is a universal sense of belonging -- they are the lucky ones -- sometimes we humans get hung up in our thoughts and complaints and forget to just "be" when we are out there...the four foots are excellent emissaries of what's really matters.

Enjoyed the report and images. Well done.
We ae headed in the 24th.
2 questions ....generated by a climber with battered knees and a bum hip flexor:

1. If the general snow surface is the same can we leave the crampons and stay with Denalis. You seem to feel like we do about Denalis....the greatest invention since the ......

2. How much of the 1000 vert to S Twin is glissdable (steep enough). I rememeber it seems to be about 90% glissadable.

Climbing Stallion/BMT

Yes, if trail conditions are the same Denalis are all that's needed. I used an older pair of Altas and they worked fine to South Twin.

Butt sliding, IMO it's more like 80 percent from South Twin.

It's a great climb, enjoy.

Dave

Last edited:
2. How much of the 1000 vert to S Twin is glissdable (steep enough). I rememeber it seems to be about 90% glissadable.

Obviously it depends upon the surface conditions and what you're sliding on, but I'd say 75% of it is. The top portion isn't too steep, and the bottom portion leading to the hut is of course uphill.

The other consideration, is that last week when we did it, the snow pack isn't totally consolidated, so its loose on the way down. Also, not all the rocks have filled in, so its still requires a bit of care.

Happy trails!

He he my son is a Gastroenterologist so maybe that
will suffice?

We are going in to the twins and galehead next weekend
Jan 24th via Beaver Brook hypotenuse.

Climbing Stallion/BMT

Great photos and trip report on the Twins and Galehead

Hey Sabrina,
I enjoyed the trip report and great photos on the Twins and Galehead.

We,( the BMT) are going in via Beaver Brook this coming Saturday, the 24th.

Looks like they'll be a ton of new snow there arggghhh!

Warm wishes,
Climbing Stallion/BMT