South Twin and Galehead, January 10, 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Stats:
13.5 miles, ~3900 gain.

Group: MichaelJ, Rocket21, Kevin of Kevin,Judy and Emma, DaveSunRa, Terra and Emma the traildoggies.

We met up at the Beaver Brook Trailhead at about 8:45 and geared up for the hike. It was -7 degrees in the parking lot, but there was no wind and it felt warmer.

A small group was ahead of us breaking out about 4-6 inches of fresh powder. We easily followed signs at everyturn marking the way to the Gale River Rd and the summer trailhead. Terra tossed her booties in the first quarter mile, so we stashed them in her backpack; along with the batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies she was carrying; quite possibly making her our most valuable team member today! :)

We found a stable snowbridge at the first crossing of the Gale River. The trail was broken but not packed down yet, and the section along the left side of the Gale River was a bit tricky.

The second crossing had an incomplete snow bridge but was also easily crossed. During the climb, DaveSunRa took a steady lead; with Jeremy and I in the middle; occaisionally waiting for MichaelJ and Kevin.

The Garflield Ridge Trail AKA the Appalachian Trail was a welcome sign after the tough climb in the unconsolidated snow. We once again regrouped with Michael and Kevin, and then pushed on for the Hut, where we met Dave, ate a quick snack, then dropped packs for the short climb to Galehead.

We met up with a group of four or five, who had broken the trail to the hut, and Jeremy asked if they were ready for reinforcements; to which they happily replied "YES!". We thanked them for their trailbreaking and with Jeremy in the lead; he, Dave and I broke out the trail to Galehead.

Galehead Summit-o-Happiness
ry%3D480

Yesterday was one of those picture perfect winter days, with a striking blue sky above pure white trees and mountaintops. It had warmed up to 5 degrees, and there was only the slightest wind blowing. Neverless, we spent no time on Galehead, and headed back --passing first Michael -- we made plans to continue to South Twin, where he'd catch up with us.

A little further down we met with Kevin and Emma. Kevin opted not to continue to S Twin, so I gave him a hug goodbye and we headed off.

After a very quick snack of some chocolate chip cookies at the Hut (thanks, Terra!), we jumped to the crack of Dave's whip :D and headed for S Twin. Jeremy caught up with Dave and offered to break out the trail. Who could say no to that?

I followed Dave up the steep 1000 foot climb in 0.8 mile. The trail is so much easier when the rocks are under snowpack, but its no walk in the park any time of the year. I kept telling Dave we were almost there. He said I owed him a dollar for everytime I said that and we weren't there. :rolleyes: Amazing views of the hut below and Garfeild rising above Galehead.

The softer snow gave way to a harder, thinner crust, and we were into the rime. A few more minutes and we saw the cairn marking the start of the above treeline zone, and clip clapped over the rocky summit in our MSRs. No need for crampons today, although most of us carried them just in case.

Terra watches for the group to arrive on the summit
ry%3D480

There was a light north wind blowing on the summit, and it was probably sub zero, but I was surprisingly comfortable and didn't need more than my soft shell with its hood pulled up.

DaveSunRa arrives on S Twin
ry%3D480

On the summit, Dave said goodbye, he wanted to get back to his car before nightfall, and being 3pm; he was going to have to hot foot it back. I told Jeremy that I'd reclimb the summit with Michael if we met up with him on descent.

About 2/10 a mile below the summit, we met MichaelJ on the way up; and he let me know that he'd seen Dave and he told him to remind me I owed him $20!!
We all agreed to go up together. Having already been on the summit, I decided to drop my pack for the second climb; and convinced MJ to do so as well. Jeremy kept his pack for any group emergencies, should one arise. After a couple chugs of H20 we were on our way up. My hip flexor was killing me so I would sprint about 25 steps then take a quick breather until I saw MJ and then sprint again.

South Twin at Day's End
ry%3D480

The sunset was beginning to form and we spent a few minutes on the summit with MJ, then headed down, sometimes butt sliding. We went up to the Hut for some hot cocoa and some more chocolate chip cookies; and then began our six mile journey back to the car in the setting sun.

On our way down the GaleRiver Trail a gorgeous golden full moon rose out of the trees and illuminated our way back. It was a great day out in the mountains, but we were all beginning to feel it and the final two miles through the valley were monotonous.

Back at the Gale River Trail Head, Jeremy sat on the bench and waited hopefully for the AMC Shuttle. :) A few snowmobilers passed us on the road, but they didn't offer him a ride. So we continued on, and we re-entered the woods into the cross country ski area for our final 1.4 miles.

We reached the parking lot a whopping ten hours later -- had some more cookies while our cars warmed up and then said our goodbyes.

MJ and I made a few calls around to let folks know we were OK and pass on the trail beta. A winter storm watch was in effect, so we drove home with only one stop at the Ashland Irving for some coffee, where we emerged from the car looking like cripples.

Made it back to Mass before the first flakes fell, and home to Waltham at 10:15 pm; a fifteen hour door to door day of amazing winter hiking, views, and friendship. Special thanks to Jeremy for leading the trail breaking!

Winter NH # 12, 13 for me
Winter NH #24, 25 for MJ (woot!!!)
Winter NH #30 (??)for Kevin (yeehaw!!)
Dave and Jeremy aren't counting!!

Full album can be found here:
http://unadoggerspictures1.shutterfly.com/
about halfway down the page under Recent Adventures

Last edited:
BTW, I scouted the trail off S Twin towards N Twin as well as the Twinway/AT towards Guyout and those trails need breakin' out. We considered going over to N Twin and out via 7 Dwarf's but were a bit worried about the stability of the snowbridges on the Little River, hope to get to N Twin soon.

Wonderful TR!

It was a great day out in the mountains . . .
YES, it was!! Days like yesterday don't come along often, and are to be savored when they do.:)
. . . the final two miles through the valley were monotonous.
Ugh! And especially boring is that segment of the Gale River Trail from the first (or last, depending on your direction of travel) river crossing. I just try to put myself into a trance for the half-hour or so that it takes to do that piece of trail.

Nice trip report. Wasn't it the best day this winter so far?? Ike was fantastic!!

Yes, it was. Did any of you head over to Monroe? I'm hoping for another day like yesterday so I can tag the Southerns. Fingers crossed for next saturday!!

Sorry I missed out on your hike, but I had the opportunity to hike with MJ and he's got Pierce and Ike in winter already.

Glad you guys had a good time! You had a fun group to hike with. :)

Congrats, Yvon on your ADK-W progress!!!! I *technically* haven't committed to the W48; but I am counting, just in case. <wink>

Wonderful day everywhere

Sabrina, like Yvon said great day in the 'dacks too. I had It much easyier going up Colvin as the path was hard packed like a race track...This being my first W-peak..couldnt have had better weather, views and trail conditions for my first. Nice pics, I love the way the trees are so Frosty with the blue skies as a background...peaceful

What?? Colvin and No Blake!!! And you say the trail was a packed highway??

I should make a special trip over there to crack a whip behind you.
:D

Just kidding, GREAT job!

And Yvon and Viewseeker, I just finished my AKD46er paperwork this morning, and I have to say that the hardest part of the entire journey was filling out that damn paperwork!!!!:mad::p:rolleyes:

This was quite a hike! It didn't help that I got a huge blister on my big toe and ripped a hole through my sock into the top of another toe, nor the fact that despite the excellent trailbreaking work of my cohorts, going up South Twin was still a slip-sliding, strength-sucking experience; however, it was all worth it to be up there on such a cold but beautiful day with such a great group of friends.

I owe Kevin a huge apology - when I got back to the hut after summitting Galehead, the departing group told me I'd been left a cookie, so I thought he'd still been at the hut when Sabrina et. al. started up South Twin, but in fact that cookie was meant for him and mine was still riding in Terra's saddlebag. Sorry, man, I had no idea!

The Gale River Trail really does turn into a slog on the way out. Going in the woods were so pretty that we didn't mind the distance, but coming out, tired and in the dark, it felt like it just wouldn't end, not to mention the knowledge that when it did, there was still the road walk and cut through Beaver Brook to go.

I was originally going to spend the day skiing, but at the last minute decided to hike, and so these plans came together in short order, but wow, they came together well and made for one heck of an amazing day. Thanks again to all the trailbreakers, and please pass the ibuprofen...

I've got a photo album online here for your enjoyment and amusement!

I should make a special trip over there to crack a whip behind you.
:D

Just kidding, GREAT job!

And Yvon and Viewseeker, I just finished my AKD46er paperwork this morning, and I have to say that the hardest part of the entire journey was filling out that damn paperwork!!!!:mad::p:rolleyes:

trust me...i wish I could, out of gas and getting late, need more legs, i havent been out since october...Before I went I still plan to hit them both for my summer 46 even though they both would have counted for summer...maybe this fall I'll be filling out my paperwork!!That is if I had somebody cracking the whip on me, LOL ;)

I had the same reflexion. But it take us 4 hike, to finaly reach Blake summit. :)

So we will see you at the 46er spring meeting? :)

Wonderful hike on a beautiful day, nothing more to ask for. Nice to meet and chat with all.

Dave

Yes, it was. Did any of you head over to Monroe?

I so wanted to head over to Monroe, but I would be walking back to my car on Clinton Rd from the Ammo parking lot well after dark and alone. If the weather looks good for not weekend I plan to go up Ammo bag Monroe and Washington and if I have the legs maybe Jefferson and then out Jewell. At least that is what my heart says, I'm not certain what my legs will say about this plan.

Cookies!

24agalehead11009.jpg

Emma on the summit of Galehead

I've been holding my tongue on the whole cookie thing, but now that the truth comes out...:D I took the hike down like reading a book, first chapter: Hut to Garfield Ridge/Gale River Junction, second chapter: Down the steeps, third chapter: Over the endless PUDs to the riverbank where the view is, fourth chapter: To the river crossing, fifth chapter: To the next river crossing, sixth chapter: Out to the kiosk, seventh chapter: Out to the road, eighth chapter: onto the next road, ninth chapter: Along the ski trail, tenth chapter: out to the parking area, eleventh chapter: Collapse. Man! That was a long book!

Anyway, great day, great company!

Here's my report:

Galehead Mountain 1/10/09

13 Miles 2250' Elevation gain

Kevin, Emma Sabrina, Michael, Terra, Dave and Jeremy

After a tough December in which my ma fell and broke some ribs and her shoulder blade, followed up by "The Ice Storm", seven days without power, several snowstorms, Christmas, Jude not feeling well, Emma diagnosed with a tick borne disease, (not Lyme), ma coming home from rehab and needing round the clock care, a severe lack of intelligence among the people I work with that happen to be in charge, the prospects of getting out on any hikes was not looking good. Friday I got an invitation to join a very cool group to hike to Galehead and South Twin. Not feeling up to it, Jude said, "Go!". She stayed with ma and even suffered through the day without the love of her life, Emma, so that Emma could join me. We call these "Daddy/Daughter Days". I must say it felt a little weird not having my long time hiking partner with us, but it certainly was needed. I think Emma needed it, too! She frolicked and ran most of the day, while I did my best just to drag my butt up this hill. At 50, not hikin' for a month can really put a crimp in your style. We found ourselves at the designated parking spot of Beaver Brook at the designated time. The others showed up within a few minutes and we were soon ready to start off on our trek. There was a new person to meet, Dave Sun-ra, and old friends Michael J, Sabrina and Terra, along with Jeremy (Rocket21). Now, you would think that Rocket21 would have something to do with Roger Clemens, but I have found that Rocket is how he likes to get to summits, and 21 is his approximate age. I explained to him that I could not run all the way to South Twin, and he assured me in that casual way that folks his age assure "Old People" that he had no intentions of it. Terra explained to Emma that she was the "Lead Dog" and we were off! Along the first mile we were able to question Rocket as to the absence of LRiz, to which there was no explanation, so the subject was dropped, for the time being. To my surprise, I was able to keep up for the first few miles, but then started to drop further and further behind. I was feelin rather bad that people had to stand around in the cold to wait for me, but Michael graciously kept me company and assured me that he didn't want to go much faster, that I was keeping a good pace. I guess the assurance that we weren't going to run the whole way was trumped by the minus seven temps. I would have liked to talk to Michael, (and anybody else if I could have got near them), but most of my conservation consisted of, "Insert favorite curse word here, I can't do it. I'm not gonna' make it... etc." I'll tell you, the only thing that got me to the top of Galehead Mountain this day was the positive reinforcement supplied by my fellow travelers. Thanks, guys! I should have eaten more, but I was workin' too hard to keep up. Then the cramps in my quads started and I kept stopping to drink. That half mile climb up to Garfield Ridge Trail really kicked my butt, but I was able to catch a second wind there and the rest of the way went a lot better.

28agalehead11009.jpg

Galehead Hut

At the hut we finally got out into the sun, with temps rising to about 10 degrees, so it was like a sauna in comparison. After some food and drink and, yes, I dropped the pack, shame on me, I made the last half mile to the summit along the Frost Trail. Along the way I saw the rest coming back down and we said our good byes as I assured them my day was over and they'd have to get South Twin without me. I would have loved to as the views must have been spectacular, but I didn't have it in me to make the 8/10ths mile and 1150' vertical to climb Jacob's Ladder from the hut. I'll just have to live that part through their pictures and descriptions. This left just Emma and I to make the long trek back to the car. We made pretty good time, getting back a little before 5pm. Shortly after our arrival in the parking lot some folks came out of the woods and at first I thought it was my compadres, but, to my relief, it turned out to be x-country skiers. It may have been the final blow to my hiking ego if they had made it to South Twin and then back out in almost the same time it took me just to walk out!

30agalehead11009.jpg

Gray Jay Perisoreus canadensis

Pictures here:

http://ghostflowers.smugmug.com/gallery/7068952_4bzWt#452961607

KDT

Last edited:
Nice reports people

It was certainly a spellbinding day in the Whites

Great dog shots....looks like Terra was shedding her jacket along with the booties....

Nice TR, congrat on getting out there on such a gorgeous day. Looking forward to meeting you at some point, it was nice to run into rocket21 at the Highland Center before he headed out to join you.

I so wanted to head over to Monroe, but I would be walking back to my car on Clinton Rd from the Ammo parking lot well after dark and alone. If the weather looks good for not weekend I plan to go up Ammo bag Monroe and Washington and if I have the legs maybe Jefferson and then out Jewell. At least that is what my heart says, I'm not certain what my legs will say about this plan.

Keep me in the loop?

That picture of Terra on the summit is wonderful...reminds me of Tim Seaver's fox in the Presi's.

Aw..thanks, Audrey! Terra says its a close tie; hiking or playing with all of Genie's toys and begging for handouts from Pat!

Great dog shots....looks like Terra was shedding her jacket along with the booties....

Tee hee...I did some makeshift tailoring before heading out in the morning (notice the duct tape) but with some sewing, I think we can make a fine jacket for her. And next time, I'll let her get all of her early trail bounding out of her system and THEN put the booties on!

Nice TR, congrat on getting out there on such a gorgeous day. Looking forward to meeting you at some point, it was nice to run into rocket21 at the Highland Center before he headed out to join you.

Soon, I hope. :)

Kevin, GREAT pictures, as always! I owe you a cookie.

Last edited: