Southern Presidentials

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
After a lot of effort, I finally convinced MEB and Andy to bail on their plans to hike Whiteface/Passaconaway, and join me instead on an above treeline adventure. The weather was spectacular!

We headed up the Jewel trail around 8:30. Andy and I wore snowshoes until treeline, while MEB bearbooted. Once above treeline, we bearbooted the entire way. We saw lots of skiers doing all sorts of crazy things....like skiing right down into Great Gulf :eek: We took our time enjoying the beautiful day and made it to Washington around noon. It was the warmest day I've ever had on Washington. Almost no breeze and bright sunshine!! We had a lovely lunch(thanks MEB), and relaxed for about an hour.

Crawford path was a little slushy, with melt-off water running everywhere. Coming off Washington, we heard the rumble of a helicopter which flew just over our heads. We thought it was hanging out watching the Inferno??

The trail got pretty sloppy in between Ike and Pierce, as expected. Postholes everywhere, there is still so much snow! At the Crawford/Pierce junction, Andy and I put our snowshoes on again. Crawford Path was okay, postholes here and there and quite a bit of moose poop. The footing was tricky with and without snowshoes. When we finished, it was still sunny and warm. It was pretty special to have such beautiful weather on a Saturday....usually I'm sitting at work during days like that.

On a side note, I bought new boots for this hike....(I'm refusing to wear plastic anymore)...they are the red Asolos and if anyone is in the market for new boots, I highly recommend them. Very comfortable. :)

Wicked awesome day! Thanks sis for convincing me to change plans :) It was pretty cool to watch the skiers going down into the Great Gulf...man that is some steep stuff! I was acutally suprised at how few people we saw on the summit...maybe a handful or two. We saw another skier on Monroe and than another group of three who were heading down into the Dry River by Franklin.

Sabrina, we thought of you as we made our way to Pierce...did you see us waving?

Here are some pictures.

-MEB

MEB said:
Sabrina, we thought of you as we made our way to Pierce...did you see us waving?

Here are some pictures.

-MEB

:p I was definately hoping we might run into your group!

What a beautiful day, your pictures capture it so well!

I work for the "official hospital of The Boston Marathon" so I am working today...blech....will hopefully have my pics and reports up tonight.

Way to go, MEB, Little Sister, and Andy!

I was up there Thursday and Friday being one of those crazy skiers. I think there were five of us at the summit when it was 50 degrees, windless, and cloudless. Pretty stinking amazing. The snow coverage in the gullies is still quite good, though melting fast. We could easily note the difference in the crevasses and snowpack from one day to the next, and even from morning to afternoon.

There were two helicopters parked in the bowl for the Inferno, just in case. They were the 1159th NH ARNG Medivac on a training mission, and the Eliot Hospital copter.

Sweet pics, great hike! You were indeed missed, but given that weather, being out and up high was the right choice. :)

Last edited:
Nice running into you and MEB (& company) on the Jewell. I am glad the rest of the hike was well. I hung out on George for an hour....it was a pretty special day to be out.

You all know about their hiking exploits, but there is obviously another talent that hasn't had as much publicity. :cool:

We were leaving the Highland Center parking Saturday to head up Tom and Field when a car came flying in. It hesitated a moment, continued, then came to a screeching halt. The driver then threw it into reverse and came flying back only to come to another screeching halt. The passenger door flies open. "Oh oh" I think, we're getting mugged and we haven't even gotten on the trail." :( But no mugging this time. It was just Meb coming to say high to Lauky. And that mysterious Indy car driver. Was it Danica Patrick? :confused: No it was Little Sis!! :D

Ed'n Lauky said:
Was it Danica Patrick? :confused: No it was Little Sis!! :D

Could have been either one of THOSE sisters!!! :D

Sounds like a great day, ladies (& Andy). Missed you, but you had an awfully good excuse! :p

You Maine girls are TOTALLY WICKED!

:)

Queen of the hut indeed, and even wearing a SKIRT! :eek:

Great trail report, miss you kids, hope to see you out there REAL soon!

Bigelows anyone?!

;)

....and back in Portland in time for the hockey game, eh? Or, was that the evening of the next day on the Cats? In any case, great day to be above treeline in the Presi's!