Stillwater Junction History Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so, cool info on the guaging stations - so, they weren't very big, then, at all. Technology has clearly changed from current guaging stations - I am thinking of the one on the Pemi River near the bridge in Plymouth - no dam there. ???? I would guess at Stillwater they dammed it off to see, based on inflow/outflow, how high the water filled - they must have had some sort of approximation/correlation info way back then???? Yeah, so, cable car was near the camp. Wonder why they chose a cable car - must have been for camp use only?

For small streams or short-term projects, stream flow can be measured by building a gauging weir across the stream. The flow-vs-head relationship of these devices has been well-know for over 100 years, so by measuring the head above the weir, you can calculate the flow rate. Of course, this only works where it's feasible to build a dam across the entire stream, and these structures tend to get damaged by ice and debris pretty quickly, so they're not used for long-term measurements.

Permanent, automated gauging stations measure the water level in the stream, and then convert this to a flow rate (often Cubic Feet per Seconds - CFS). This makes the stations fairly simple - all it has to do is measure water level, which can be done with a float or a nitrogen gas bubbler. Of course, any system must be well-protected from the stream flow, debris, ice, etc. There are also lots of manual gauges that just consist of a big ruler fastened to a suitable object, such as a bridge abutment.

To convert the gauge height to a flow rate, you use a stage-discharge curve, which is usually created by measuring flow velocity at multiple points across the stream. Combined with an accurate survey of the stream cross-section at the measurement location, this lets you calculate the total flow (CFS) at one time. The challenge is that you need to do these measurements at many different stages in order to create a useful and accurate stage-discharge curve. So these studies take a while to complete, and have to be conducted over multiple seasons and years to obtain good data.

The velocity at each point is measured with a calibrated windmill-type device that is inserted in the stream at each point. If the stream is shallow, this can be done by a person wading across the stream. For higher flows you would commonly use - a cable car. That's why you'll find them on a lot of streams. Not so much to help people cross the stream, but for stream gauging. (You can see a recent cable car and the associated gauging station on the Saco river in Conway, just upstream of the Route 302 crossing. It's a nice walk on the Conway rec trail.)

As for the Stillwater weir and cable car being at different locations, that's consistent with the speculation that they were both used for stream gauging. There would generally be no reason to build both at the same location. Instead, each was probably the best means of measuring flow at that location.

GREAT maps, guys!!!!

PSmart - great info on stream guaging - I feel like I get what you're talking about.... would like to see the guage area near Conway you mention but I do *ANYTHING* :eek: to avoid that area because, for me, it is cursed!!!!

Dr Wu - perhaps a missing trail?????

Last edited:
Interesting that the 1984 map shows a trail from Shoal Pond Trail (near a crossing) to Norcross Pond Trail, in the vicinity of the junction with Carrigain Notch Trail.
It also shows on the USGS 100K topo (1988). However, it doesn't show on the 24K topo (1995).

It doesn't appear to be mentioned in my 1969 WMG.

Doug

It also shows on the USGS 100K topo (1988). However, it doesn't show on the 24K topo (1995).

It doesn't appear to be mentioned in my 1969 WMG.

Doug

it's not in my 1987 WMG (or its maps) (24th edition)

Has anyone explored it that trail link? Although it's not on the logging RR maps, it is possible it is a RR siding or skidder road.... hmmmmm...... :)

Interesting that the 1984 map shows a trail from Shoal Pond Trail (near a crossing) to Norcross Pond Trail, in the vicinity of the junction with Carrigain Notch Trail.

-Dr. Wu

That looks like it was the old Stillwater By-Pass trail. Abandoned sometime between 1940 and 1947 it appears. Used to follow a branch of an old logging railway although I don't see any RR tracks on the old maps. Maybe it was just a logging road rather than railway.

The old railway/logging road must have run to or close to Camp 19. Makes sense doesn't it? Run a rail/road from Camp 19 to Camp 21. Sounds like an expedition is needed to explore that area.

The "Stillwater trail" is mentioned in passing in the 1948 WMG index stating it was abandoned in 1947.

While looking, I found this Wilderness Trail description in the '48 WMG. It talks about the cable car.

Wilderness Trail (WMNF)
From south end of No. 17 Trestle, the trail runs E over the old RR bed, from which rails and most ties have been removed. At 1 m., just after crossing a big slide, the trail takes the R fork. The L fork is the Thoreau Falls Trail (see Sect. XII); Ethan Pond Trail 4.5 m. (see Sect. XII); Zealand Falls Hut, 7 m. This junction is one of the places formerly known as North Fork Junction. About 0.8 m. beyond the junction the RR formerly crossed to the N bank, but the trail stays on the S bank, crosses a tributary stream, and soon regains the RR, which has recrossed. At 2 3/4 m. the trail crosses on a cable car, and at Stillwater, about 3 m. on a log bridge. The trail ends at Stillwater Junction, 3.2 M.

cooperhill - COOL - imagine a trail crossing in a cable car!!!! "send it back, send it back - my turn!!" *THAT* would take a while to get everyone across!!!

J&J - yes - an expedition is needed :)

No Wilderness trail. Is this the same as Carrigain Notch trail (back then)?

Apparently the section from Bondcliff Trail to Shoal Pond Trail was :-(

This doesn't mention the cable car which was in some other edition apparently

OK, so, cool info on the guaging stations - so, they weren't very big, then, at all. Technology has clearly changed from current guaging stations - I am thinking of the one on the Pemi River near the bridge in Plymouth - no dam there.
Basically a gaging station needs some sort of vertical gage to measure the river height and some way to cross the river to take current readings. At Plymouth they used the sidewalk on the highway bridge - I saw a USGS employee there at some flood back in the 80s.

You may see a stick with markings on it near the gaging station but the actual reading is done from a pipe inside the concrete building which used to house a mechanical recorder but now may have phone or Internet transmission. This gives the river level but what they really want to know is the flow so they need to calibrate the level. They do this with a device looking like a torpedo that they lower into the river at several points across the bridge/cable car. The more points they take both horizontally and vertically the more accurate the flow calculation is. USGS publishes a booklet on this which DP can no doubt find on the Internet.

OK, so, hitchhikers *are* allowed on the wayback machine.... DougPaul will have to help me build it!!!! :) :) :)
I'd offer you a ride but I'm headed to the Adk :)
http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17528&page=6&highlight=DeLorean

That's the Stillwater Bypass, see #6