Temporary Closure of Lincoln Woods trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pemi crossing at the East Side Road tent sites (and across the wet area and "island") should be looked at. I realize water flow is up, but this has always been an easy crossing and worth considering. Some years ago it could be done boulder hopping but they shifted.

The Old Osseo Trail was still intact a few years ago, easy walking up to Whaleback peak. Trailhead is now problematically within the condo complex, though a KHighway entrance/exit via the stream was pretty easy. Road walking distance from there to the Lincoln Woods parking lot. Unfortunately, last time I did it the stretch between Whaleback and the "new" Osseo Trail just below the final climb to the ridge, it was a real chore with the big blowdowns. But also worth a look.

Not sure how far up the photos by Driver8 were taken but the lower portions of the river were way higher than that when I was there last (and I did both hikes after fairly dry stretches).

Those photos are from right across from where Franconia Brook flows into the East Pemi, but take note, they were from June 16, 2012. From what others have posted, yourself included, DayTrip, the river is much higher now than then. Then, had I had crocs or other wet shoes, I'd've done the crossing. Now, it sounds iffy.

Could someone talk to the forest service about arranging some boulders there to facilitate a crossing? Is that where they were prior to the Irene flood?

PS: In no way do I intend to encourage illegal behavior, but the thought occurs to me that with a very early start, an Owl's Head tramper might walk the LW trail, say, at 5 am, when it's light out but well before the workers commence their day. With a car spot, such tramper could head out past Garfield and descend the Garfield or the Gale River Trail to Car 2.

Last edited:
I would suggest planning a backup hike in the event that the trail is closed and the river is running high. Monitor the weather and the water gauge to get an idea of what to expect. It's not a terrible ford in lower water, but it's definitely not a rock-hop.

I really don't see what the big deal is, we have over 1400 miles of trails in the Whites.
Hiking wise, it is not a big deal to me since I had no intentions of hiking there in the near future.

It is a big deal when people are directed to a dangerous river crossing for the sake of the administrative convenience of the Forest Service.

It is a big deal when the Forest Service arrogantly disregards the popular public interest in this trail.

I haven't seen any sensibilities applied to this project nor in the FS defense of their plan.

Hiking wise, it is not a big deal to me since I had no intentions of hiking there in the near future.

It is a big deal when people are directed to a dangerous river crossing for the sake of the administrative convenience of the Forest Service.

It is a big deal when the Forest Service arrogantly disregards the popular public interest in this trail.

I haven't seen any sensibilities applied to this project nor in the FS defense of their plan.

With due respect, they gave a considerate response when queried, leaving open the possibility of opening that segment of LWT on weekends if construction work is taking a break then. They have to deal with the worry of getting sued in the event of anyone getting hurt walking through their construction zone, plus with the interruption and delay from hikers and others coming through, causing workers to stay their machines' work, which would further delay completion of the project and the resultant reopening the trail for good.

It might be a good idea to chime in with the USFS to let them know you'd appreciate their opening the trail on weekends, if possible, during construction. I doubt that casting stones at them will get a favorable response.

It's not the Forest Service directing people to a dangerous river crossing - for their convenience or otherwise - it's the natural questions of people here.

I hardly think they're disregarding the "popular public interest" in this trail, they're repairing it for precisely that reason.

And I think, at least in the response quoted, they have shown sensibilities by considering opening on weekends, etc.

And hey, I'm one who wants very much to climb Owl's Head this fall. But I don't think my convenience trumps the overall public good.

It's not the Forest Service directing people to a dangerous river crossing
Forest Service: "We will not encourage anyone to ford the river or travel off trail. If they choose to do so it is of their own volition"

Wink/nod. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Did Flume, via Osseo today. The trail crew was at the washout (orange fencing) and had started to clear what I believe will be the trail. Also chainsawed some trees along the side of the trail closer to LW. Not sure of the purpose of that.

They have not announced the date yet, beyond saying early to mid August for 6 - 8 weeks. We'll keep checking their website for a date and post it when we see something.

Definitely have to keep tabs on progress. River crossing with trail tools to work on Osseo will be an adventure........We are up the weekend before Columbus Day, so if there is any potential of it being open on weekends that would be BIG plus. In the past we have concluded our trailwork season on Osseo on the Columbus Day holiday weekend and the LWT is definitely a happening place for the casual & devoted.

Last edited:
I really don't see what the big deal is, we have over 1400 miles of trails in the Whites.

Me neither. In fact, I suspect most people don't really see this as a big deal. They just aren't posting that point of view on internet forums.

Me neither. In fact, I suspect most people don't really see this as a big deal. They just aren't posting that point of view on internet forums.

If you've planned a trip for early/mid august with friends and you're coming from afar and you were planning on using the LWT, then to you, it is a big deal - it's all about frame of reference. You don't have to be in the majority for your feelings to be valid.

Seriously, if the old suspension bridge were actually maintained rather than destroyed by the Forest Service, there would be safer/backup options!!!

I would not hesitate in a heartbeat to "bushwhack" around the area as would most others. I've crossed the river 3 miles up from the Ranger Station (near the Wilderness boundary) and do NOT consider it a viable/safe option for most ordinary people including myself.
Very good point! I believe you brought this up before also when discussing the taking out of the old bridge.After this weekend this crossing is going to be a bummer...Maybe time to start a raft business for river crossings :D
note;one can drown in as little as one foot of running water.Be very careful all,changing ones finish date for certain lists is normal due to issues like this...peace

Last edited:
Frankly, if the Forest Service thought like a road construction crew, they would find a way to keep the 'lane' open such as using orange survey tape/sign on the side of the trail to direct hikers away from the working area. They are not working on the 'entire' trail. That's why it makes me wonder if they are really being sensitive to everyone's needs and instead, want to remind everyone of their 'authority' to close trails at will.

The redlining mileage includes hundreds of miles outside of the WMNF. Dozens of miles of trails are affected by this closure, representing a small, but significant percentage of the WMNF trail network.

It wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal had they not decided to spent unknown large quantities of money to remove the suspension bridge and Black Brook bridge on the Wilderness Trail.

The Forest Service set themselves up for this scenario - making much of the Pemi out of reach for the average user for over half of the summer.

I on occasion have supervised construction. There is quite a big difference between leaving a site that is secured from the public at the end of the day or a weekend then one that is unsecured. 99% of the hikers on a bypass route would stay within the bounds and not decide to become 'sidewalk supervisors' and/or decide that they just have to get that picture of them playing on piece of equipment or looking over a precipice. The contractor also ends up paying more for insurance if the public has access nearby. By closing down the area to traffic, the contractor and FS crews have some legal protection as the member of the public entering the closed area has less of a legal foot to stand on.

With regards to the Pemi bridge, much as folks want to rub it into the FS's face, the person who initiated the project was rewarded with a retirement posting near her home town on the west coast. Arguably she was rewarded for a good job and went away. Her local employees are the ones that got to put on a smile and deal with the mess she left. Its best to try to document the Pemi bridge mess and use that in the future to hopefully give feedback to the inevitable attempt to closing the Thoreau Fall Bridge, but avoid "shooting the local messengers".

What would work far better then venting on an internet forum is if someone with media skills got an article published about the impact of such a significant trail closure would have on the general public, folks like Steve Smith or Mike Dickerman could do it but they both need to be careful on what fights to pick. Hikers bagging summits are only a small percentage of those who use Lincoln Woods and we don't tend to spend enough money to get a lot of attention. Franconia falls is quite a popular tourist attraction for the general tourist and they are the ones with economic impact, get the Lincoln businesses cranked up that they are losing business due to the trail being closed and then there may be far more attention paid.

It could be worse, it looks like the current plan for Dry River is just abandon the trail network after making a justification that it cant effectively be done with volunteer labor as the FS has decided its too costly to do repairs "the right way" (rather than using mechanized equipment which is perfectly legit in this case).

Last edited:
I don't see a bid deal here either.

It's the FS who is actually doing the work to repair the trail we hike on. So there is some inconvenience for awhile where people will need to find a route around it. Again, the FS is repairing the trail so there is actually one to use. The work is necessary.

They have also made it clear it is NOT illegal to BW around the work so long as outside to work area. Discouraged but not illegal. No one has to cross the river and no one is suggesting you do. Cross at your own risk.

I tend to be the first to jump on anything limiting my freedoms especially in the forests but this does not seem like such a case. In other more restrictful states, the entire area would be closed off and BW options around the sight would be off limits as well. They can't do the work in January so I think they have done the best they can in this situation.

Molly took the bridge away. It ain't comin' back. Let it go. It was a self-serving move that negatively affects an untold number of people but it's done. And she's gone with it.

On another note, a shout out to PSmart for consistently adding useful, objective, informative posts on a multitude of issues without ever adding subjectivity or opinion which is far more than I can say for many of my posts. Extraordinary.

With regards to the Pemi bridge, much as folks want to rub it into the FS's face, the person who initiated the project was rewarded with a retirement posting near her home town on the west coast.

I think one would be mistaken to think that the Pemi bridge removal was exclusively the view and action of one person. While that person did have the power to ram it through, regardless of taxpayer opinion, there are others still in the Forest Service who have similar views (which is a shame, because it limits the abilities of some great folks above and below them on the totem pole). As long as this element still exists, they should be vociferously reminded about what they did and how it continues to impact the people who pay their salaries.

I hope they're able to get this main artery fixed as quickly, inexpensively, conveniently, and effectively as possible.