Thanks for the Desktop (Post yours if you wish!!)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynotrick

Reaction score
Rochester NY. Avitar: Софиский Собор, Новгород
I posted this in another forum in a thread about desktop wallpapers. I "borrowed " the pic from someone here and wanted to say thanks. Sorry I forgot who's this was, but I love this pic and it really scales nicely for use an my cell :D

My current desktop: using this wallpaper on both my linux and XP partions, work PC and mobile phone

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Dynotrick/current desktop.png

The thread over there is kinda fun, it's a "Post your Desktop" thread. I think its neat to see how people config their screen.

One time, I was at Crag Camp talking with some other folks who were there. One of the people at one point looked at me and said "I know you. I have your picture of Flat Mountain Pond as my computer background!" I got a real kick out of hearing that (as words like "copyright" raced through the back of my mind). Of course, if I truly minded I wouldn't post them, so no worries.

In any case, I'm sure many of us use pictures from other people's trip reports as our backgrounds from time to time, and recognizing and thanking the photographers from whom we have "borrowed" is an honorable act.

MichaelJ said:
One time, I was at Crag Camp talking with some other folks who were there. One of the people at one point looked at me and said "I know you. I have your picture of Flat Mountain Pond as my computer background!" I got a real kick out of hearing that (as words like "copyright" raced through the back of my mind). Of course, if I truly minded I wouldn't post them, so no worries.

In any case, I'm sure many of us use pictures from other people's trip reports as our backgrounds from time to time, and recognizing and thanking the photographers from whom we have "borrowed" is an honorable act.

Hey Michael,
Glad to hear that you remember that trip, my kids still talk about it! I've since replaced Flat Mt. Pond Shelter with an original watercolor snowman by Sam but I still reference the photo often. Its a nice shot of one of my favorite places. So, thanks for the use of your photo; I might even "borrow" some more
in the future (with permission of course!) :cool:
Bob

If you are going to post desktop photos, make sure that they are links to external sites, and they are outdoors/hiking/mountains related. As long as you follow those rules this is fine. Do not post photos that you don't own the copyright to, or don't have permission of the copyright owner.

-dave-

Summitpost is an excellent site to download mountain shots for personal use. I'm looking at a wonderful picture of K2 taken from that site as my current desktop, but will not share it due to aforementioned copyright issues

I don't mind if people use my photos, and have posted my favorite backgrounds here. There are other albums as well, but in this one there's a caption of where the photo was taken.

For emphasis, I am going to repeat what Dave said:

Do not post photos that you don't own the copyright to, or don't have permission of the copyright owner.

- darren

Kevin, some of those are also really nice, I may use a few :D

Now that I have a good camera I plan on taking a few of my own for desktop use on my next trip. :cool:

As far as copyright goes, I would have no problem with folks here using anything I post (as long as they aren't trying to sell them) and would assume most if not all of us feel the same way for the personal pictures we post. As far as the one I posted, I made that assumption, but will pull it down if the member who took it asks, forgot who it was, which incedentally brings us back to the point of my first post, Thanks for posting that pic in the first place to whoever took it, and sorry I forgot who I took it from. :D :D

Last edited:
I' downloaded webshots several years ago & one part of that allows you to create your own collections. I have two collections with my daughter, 1 of my son, (she is almost twice his age, he'll get two someday) & a coupe of collections of hiking pictures from NH & ADK's witha few from TN & the Catskills. Most are mine but now that I recall it, I think I have some of Dave's & maybe Sherpa K. but only from those trips we did together. (The Moriah trip I think is the only one for some reason not many pictures from the Bonds Traverse were taken :D )

The Windows Version I have on my home PC allows me to just take "My Pictures" & use them as a Screen Saver.

It changes every few months, certainly seasonally at the least. Here is where I'm at right now (yes, I own it);

desk.jpg

Many of my good photos I post in my gallery and I generally use my own shots for my desktop because my own pics remind me of "things I done, and recall fondly" as opposed to them being the greatest photos taken with the best equipment as I use cheap camera (I have a history :( ).

I know I pretty much suck as a photographer and have no training so, like others here, I really could care less if anyone used a picture of mine for a desktop or something personal like that. It would bug me however, if someone attempted to make money off them or something crazy like that.

Last edited:
Mine is virtually identical to Tim's desktop (same browser, same folder location), and I usually use pictures that we've taken on trips. I have them set up as a "slide show" for different trips, with pictures changing about every 15 seconds or so.

Maavs is a Mac user, I knew I liked him!

I have my screensaver crank through all my photos but otherwise I'm a plain desktop sort of guy. OK, OK for a while I had a real time NE satellite weather map as a desktop but it was distracting every time it changed.

darren said:
For emphasis, I am going to repeat what Dave said:

Do not post photos that you don't own the copyright to, or don't have permission of the copyright owner.

- darren

Sounds like a photographer to me!! Ah-oh!! I scalped a pix of Lyon Mtn in the winter from Neil. Okay, I've owned up to it and thank him for it! (winter trees with iced Firetower). Otherwise I just steal Darren's stuff... :D

bobandgeri said:
Maybe you should organize a VFTT Tucks Ravine day!

That sounds cool. I'll take pix of everyone else, but you won't see me going over the lip! :eek:

- darren

great wallpaper! I am all for a VFTT Tuck's day. I'm all too willing to fling myself over the lip! Bring the stretcher to carry me out and a small flask of something, and i'm there!

I just switched my wallpaper to this one
sunrise

Last edited:
REK said:
Hey Michael,
Glad to hear that you remember that trip, my kids still talk about it!

Of course - it's one of my favorite stories (along with almost taking my finger off making fresh lemonade up there; a Leatherman goes easily through a lemon and then through skin, and wow does it hurt!) And again, no worries on the photo; I wouldn't post them if I didn't want people to enjoy them. Although I will admit, now that I have an offline vault of all my originals, I'm watermarking the ones I put on the web.

A VFTT Tucks day sounds very tempting, but only having downhill, not tele, gear, the hike in and up would kind of suck, no?