The Garnet Pool...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
...not Gem pool. Has anyone heard of this. Its not in the White mountain guide and I'm not sure that it is even in the White mountains. I saw a painting of people playing around it. The painting was in the Mt. Washington Hotel and dated from the mid 1800's. Any information would be of interest.

Thanks,
Keith

My copy of NG Topo locates a Garnet Pool just west of Rte 16, .1 mi north of the Nineteen Mile Brook trailhead.

Edit: seems to be the same one as rocket21 found (simultaneous posts).

Doug

Last edited:
It sounded familiar to me...a quick Google search brought me to this website. Scroll down for a crude map.

-vegematic

ETA: Holy cross posts!

These links describe it as a lake, but it's not a lake, it's a pool. I think it is in the 19 Mile Brook, just before the brook feeds the Peabody River. Otherwise, it's in the Peabody. Either way, it's a nice place to take a dip after hiking. Just walk across Rt 16 from the 19 Mile TR, and downstream few hundred feet. There is a beautiful pool right there, which I beleive is Garnet Pool. There are a few pools in the area. It's a tradition for me in summer.

happy trails :)

Fifteen-Ball Pool

Burt's Illustrated Guide (1867) lists Garnet Pool as a pool in the Peabody River one half-mile north of the Glen House. The American Traveller's Guide (186?) includes it as one of the tourist attractions associated with the Glen House, along with the Imp, Emerald Pool, etc.The 1887 Boston Commercial Bulletin carries a Garnet Pool joke about a disgruntled White Mountain visitor: a tourist asked the porter at the Glen House about local attractions. The porter mentioned Garnet Pool down the road. The unimpressed tourist sniffed and inquired what else there was to see. The porter mentioned Emerald Pool up the road. The tourist, still not satisfied, impatiently remarked that there was probably yet another pool somewhere around the Glen House. With a straight face, the porter responded, yes sir, there's fifteen-ball pool in the billiard room for those who like it.Are you ROTFL yet?

Last edited:
TroutBumNH said:
go back and read this link, and it would appear it was written by a bot of some kind!

Ya, it's kinda a hoot, referring to it as a lake and all. Nonetheless, the topo map link looks right.

rocket21 said:
Ya, it's kinda a hoot, referring to it as a lake and all. Nonetheless, the topo map link looks right.

oops!! rocket21, i meant to reply to the *other* link, the one provided by vegematic... take a look at what was 'written' about Garnet Pool (from http://www.goingoutside.com/lake/107/1074196_Garnet_Pool_New_Hampshire.html):

The beauty of Garnet Pool attracts many people from all around. This lake is so wonderful. Why not take a refreshing hike along the Daniel Webster Trail, and camping is available at Timberland Camping Area. Be careful coming to the White Mountains, you might not ever want to go back home again. Drift down the rapids of Peabody River - West Branch in a kayak, and nearby you stumble on splendid places like Great Gulf. Whohoo, so many entertaining things in one place! Garnet Pool is excellent! Lakes are brilliant; Emerald Pool is a lake that's in the vicinity of Garnet Pool; hiking is a popular thing to do around Garnet Pool; Great Gulf Trail is a great local trail.
This lake is located in the wonderful White Mountains. Black Mountain has great slopes and a friendly staff, and why not camp at White Birches Camping Park while you're here at Garnet Pool. This lake is so wonderful. After a long day outdoors Nestlenook
Farm Resort is a splendid place to spend a night or two, and if you're a golfer then a great nearby course is Androscoggin Valley Country Club Garage.
Garnet Pool sees pretty high levels of precipitation; the month with most of the rain is August while January is regularly the driest month. Barnes Brook is a striking stream that is worth going to, and there's no such thing as a bad day of skiing at close by Wildcat. Good hiking is available along the Aqueduct Path; A Top Notch Inn is a good place to get some rest.
All the outdoors exciting stuff near Garnet Pool will keep you coming back many times. You need to check out Vals Ledge since you're here at Garnet Pool. For the duration of the summertime months, highs mostly are in the 50's at Garnet Pool. Once the sun is down it descends down to the 40's. Through the wintertime highs are usually in the 10's, and overnight lows in the-10's for Garnet Pool. Yeah, come up here to the White Mountains for a delightful time. Get yourself into a kayak and hit Peabody River, and the peak of Little Wildcat Mountain can be observed from Garnet Pool.

Please help a gnome. We're not always on the techy cutting-edge. What's a "bot"? From context, I'm guessing maybe the computer fishes for keywords to help someone write a review for something about which they are clueless. Those passages make little sense.

forestgnome said:
Please help a gnome. We're not always on the techy cutting-edge. What's a "bot"? From context, I'm guessing maybe the computer fishes for keywords to help someone write a review for something about which they are clueless. Those passages make little sense.

You pretty much nailed it. Generally a bot is an automated process.