The Hancocks in Less Than 19 Hours

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Swollen Toes! Ordinary hikes won't give you that buzz you need for long now that you've had a taste of something else. Before you know it you'll be headed out for 26 hour 12 peak winter Pemi loops :D or not.....

I agree with Swollen Toes! Ordinary hikes won't give you that buzz you need for long now that you've had a taste of something else. Before you know it you'll be headed out for 26 hour 12 peak winter Pemi loops :D or not.....
Actually, this might be a good bushwhack for you, Farmer, for the winter record thing. Good route to go Hancock --> Carrigain if you don't feel like going over the Captain.

-Dr. Wu

am i missing something? wondering what your destination was that you started the bushwhack in the first place?

glad everything turned out good!

-leaf (who does not like to whack either)

... about the specifics.... you guys know that the "Bushwhacker Code of Conduct" requires ambiguity ;)

Oh, and another plus... no net weight gain over the weekend!!! :eek:

... about the specifics.... you guys know that the "Bushwhacker Code of Conduct" requires ambiguity ;)

Ha, ha, ha. I agree entirely. No need for details. Personally, I think that GPS tracks, long detailed "route" descriptions, GoogleEarth images, summit canisters, etc., etc., make bushwhacking highly overrated. Headlamps, on the other hand, are really ace.

Personally, I think that GPS tracks, long detailed "route" descriptions, GoogleEarth images, summit canisters, etc., etc., make bushwhacking highly overrated. Headlamps, on the other hand, are really ace.
I wasn't asking for any of that.. I was just wondering where you were planning on heading, that's all.

That's always true for me - it just falls apart when I include Monday. :)

Cool hike! Were you in fact able to identify when you were on any of the old skid roads?

Nocturnal, off-trail, winter bushwhacking. Not for the faint of headlamp.

I recommend that anyone considering participating in this activity get themselves a powerful headlamp and test it in the freezer. Put the light with new or fully charged batteries in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then turn it on (note: you don't have to actually be in the freezer with the device) and write down the time. Go back every hour and check the light. It can be surprising how quickly it goes out if you keep it on high power.

You can repeat this experiment with lithiums, regular copper-top duracells, rechargeables etc. etc.

Another experiement while winter whacking at night is to turn off the headlamp and try and keep moving.

Last edited:
interesting neil!

i'll hike into the darkness as long as i can without turning on my headlamp. so i'm usually turning it on after i fall down. i might need to get those shock absorbing poles.

Last edited:
interesting neil!

i'll hike into the darkness as long as i can without turning on my headlamp. so i'm usually turning it on after i fall down. i might need to get those shock absorbing poles.

ha ha...me too...i have to force myself to take it out at a rest stop before it gets dark...even then, i wait until i'm falling over things before i put it on. :D

ha ha...me too...i have to force myself to take it out at a rest stop before it gets dark...even then, i wait until i'm falling over things before i put it on. :D

All the while telling the person behind you to make sure to shine *their* light where you can see it. I'm just sayin'. ;)

i'll hike into the darkness as long as i can without turning on my headlamp. so i'm usually turning it on after i fall down.
I have deliberately done several night hikes without using lights, not counting those in the service. Better in winter when the ground is smoother, reflects light better, and is softer when you fall.

I have deliberately done several night hikes without using lights, not counting those in the service. Better in winter when the ground is smoother, reflects light better, and is softer when you fall.

But how do you see your compass - moonlight???? :eek:

It doesn't count ;) if your talking about 2k hills covered in wide open hardwoods that have all dropped their leaves!

Ha, ha, ha. I agree entirely. No need for details. Personally, I think that GPS tracks, long detailed "route" descriptions, GoogleEarth images, summit canisters, etc., etc., make bushwhacking highly overrated.
You say that like they automatically go together.

I wasn't asking for any of that.. I was just wondering where you were planning on heading, that's all.
I had mentioned it to not for any route info, I could give a sh*t, it was more about what was the plan and estimated time compared to what happened.

But how do you see your compass - moonlight????

Most of my no-light hikes are in winter near the full moon, for better visibility and easier walking. One time in VT, I set up my tent and ate supper just by moonlight.

I don't usually use a compass on bushwhacks day or night but try to follow the terrain or sky. On one no-light bushwhack for example I just walked uphill to the summit, then used an angle off the moon to head down the correct way - the crusty snow on the ground didn't leave tracks followable without lights.

A military compass has a glow-in-the-dark line on the body and a spot on the needle so you can follow a set course without light. And if you hold it up over your shoulder while walking, the guy behind you in line can follow you instead of wandering off in a different direction.

It doesn't count ;) if your talking about 2k hills covered in wide open hardwoods that have all dropped their leaves!

One no-light segment was the return from Barren in Baxter Park which is not exactly open woods, but a light wasn't useful as you couldn't see your feet anyway and if you tripped on something you couldn't fall over with all the branches holding you up. We did use lights going down the slide.