The men who went up a hill, and came down Winter 46-Rs, aka, OUR FINISH!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
First of all, I want to dedicate this climb to my grandfather, Charles W. Merriam, whose legacy of introducing my father and I to the Adirondack Winter High Peaks, and inspiring us to continue climbing them, will forever live on. Thank you, Pappy!

Well, it was time for our big day. I was very sorry that many of my good friends had to bow out at the last minute, but we were still joined by Chris (hobbitling), who is a pleasure to hike with because of his cheerful attitude, genuine appreciation for the outdoors, and excellent sense of humor. He met us at our house a little after 4:30 am, and we were off! After an uneventful drive (at least I believe it was uneventful, I was asleep most of the time), and witnessing an unsullied sunrise behind the High Peaks, we reached the Adirondack Loj parking lot at 7:15 am.

The parking lot was quite full, as it seemed many people were itching to climb as much as we were. I had the pleasure of meeting Drewski and Meb, both of whom are legends in the Whites, while gearing up for our climb. It was Meb’s first time in the Adirondack High Peaks, and I hope she had a wonderful time! The three of us hit the trail at 7:45 am, picking a leisurely pace since we had all day to hike and no time crunch. It was still fairly cold from the parking lot to Marcy Dam, but the sun cut through the trees, casting long shadows and promising a warm, clear day ahead.

IMG_0691.jpg

It was very nice to take our time, and for once I was at peace with not pushing myself to keep a strong pace, and keep track of exact times to each destination. It’s very refreshing to slow down sometimes, and simply partake in the wonder and privilege of being in an atmosphere of tranquility, beauty, and grandeur. In spite of our moseying on down the trail, it still seemed to take us very little time to reach destinations, and soon we were standing at the bank of Lake Arnold, about to begin the final leg of our quest. By this time it had warmed up considerably, and a light breeze had begun to gently cool our temperate bodies.

IMG_1404.jpg

The trail this whole way up had been very well packed down, and I used crampons for the entire climb. When we began to rise above the thick trees, majestic vistas of Marcy came into view. The trees were lovely as well owing to the solid layer of ice coating their entire surface. This was not the thin ice that had covered many of the trees in Upper Works last week, but a thick ice that cracked deeply as the wind blew it, and sparkled a spectrum of rich colors as the sun reflected off its infinitesimal contours. By the time we reached the false summit, the wind had picked up quite a bit, but it was balanced out by the rising temperatures, then in the low 30s. Colden towered over us in the distance, beckoning us with its epic pinnacle (false summit - video).

IMG_1456.jpg

After some pictures and videos, we began the descent down to the final ascent of Colden. The last part of the climb seemed to fly by, as a mix of nervousness, excitement, emotion, wonder, and hope flowed together into a whirlwind of thoughts and feelings. In a blur of expectant-laden footsteps, we were standing on the summit of Mt. Colden, at 11:45 am exactly (4 hours from the car)! Oh, the jubilation!! A nine year journey had been completed, and we were standing on our 46th Adirondack Winter High Peak. The experience was overwhelming, and I was absolutely thrilled! We spent the next hour on the summit, soaking in the views, eating victory snacks, taking photos and videos, chatting with the other hikers, and enjoying the glorious weather. It was truly a perfect day for us to finish.

IMG_1453.jpg

After one final goodbye to the mountain, we began our downward hike back into the distant valley below. It still didn’t completely register that we had actually done it. I guess when an aspiration has been so much a part of your life for almost as long as you can remember, it takes a while to click that it’s actually completed. The entire hike down I thought back to memories I had collected in the past 9 years. I won’t write about those now, because I think I will compose a “thoughts on completing the 46” thread for those who might be interested. But it was certainly one of my most joyful descents in my mountain climbing experience.

Summit Video One
Summit Video Two

After some amazing sled runs[ (the last of the season - video 1, video 2) we spent a relaxing break at Marcy Dam. I broke a LFT Outdoor Ethic by feeding a chickadee, I'm sorry, though it was a neat experience and a first for me. After our rest, we hiked the last few miles down to the ADK Loj parking lot (where it was 42 degrees F). Once there (at 3:35pm), we rejoiced, congratulated each other, and celebrated our love of life and the magnificent Adirondack Mountains of New York State. My father and I are now Winter 46-Rs

More photos

Thank you for reading this!

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS TYLER!!
Your report was very interesting, well written and beautiful!! The day in itself looked to be magical and special.

Woohoo! Congratulations Tyler and Tyler's Dad! It looks like you had a beautiful day for the finish!

Congrats, what an accomplishment.

It'll be several years before I complete the winter 46, if ever, a long road ahead.

What a gorgeous day. Matt and I were over on MacNaughton while you were celebrating your big finish.

Thanks so much to all of you!

Skyclimber: awww, thanks. It was certainly a special day, and I was so glad to share it with many other hikers.

bikehikeskifish: thank you very much! And I'm glad you enjoyed the sledding videos, they're fun to make!

yvon: thanks a bunch! I'm glad you had such a great day for your hiking pursuits as well.

Kevin Rooney: thank you. For this spring/summer I'd like to hike the CL 50, and complete the ADK Firetower challenge. I'm also going to start working on the ADK 100. BUT, if those pesky NH48 would just move a little closer to my house, I'd LOVE to hike all of those beauties!!

wardsgirl: thank you so much. We had a lovely day, and I was happy for everyone else who could get out!

Viewseeker: thanks!! Yea, we go fast when we want to. I wanted to see how quickly I could get going, so I had my dad stay down below to make sure no one was hiking up. Our top speed was a little over 12mph.

1ADAM12: thanks buddy! We were certainly blessed with a wonderful finish day!!

adirobdack46r: thanks so much, Rob. Maybe I will be able to be there for your finish someday, just have fun plugging away at them!!

Way to go tyler, sorry I couldn't be there. Keep on at 'em, enjoy the mtns, and see ya in the hills for sure.

Jay

**** w
!

Last edited:
but the sun cut through the trees, casting long shadows and promising a warm, clear day ahead.

What a great way to begin the day. Your accompanying photo makes it look like the afternoon. That sentence just reminds me of what its like to be in the woods on a day where winter is releasing its grip but all that spring can do for now is send some extra rays and light our way.
Congrats on your finish and carry the pride with you that is now more complete as you carry an inherited legacy. Now all you have to do is pass it on to another.

Thanks friends! Spring is certainly in the air of the Adirondacks, bringing on bittersweet feelings of an entirely new season in which to enjoy the outdoors. Thank you for your kind words, and ********** marks :D

Last edited: