Thoreau Falls Bridge Removal?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apropos of the discussion about crowds impacting the trails as well as others' sensibilities, may I refer the reader to a post on newenglandtrailconditions.com called "Lafayette (attempt)" dated 9/5/15:
Trail Maintenance Notes
Trail Maintenance Notes: Greenleaf: Much old rockwork (steps and waterbars) where possible. - All drains need re-digging, - Young firs downhill of Eagle Cliff narrow corridor to 2' (but that also keeps hikers on a narrow trail whose gentle-moderate slope holds jagged gravel to walk on,so there is no further erosion on those grades), - Blue blazes few and faded (in fairness, you'll know if you wandered off trail). Light hiker traffic on this rough trail means it is eroding slowly. There are a few places where rock steps should be re-worked or new ones added at bottom of flight to stop present undermining. Old Bridle Path: As is the case everywhere, the steeper the grade, the more problems to fix. This crowded trail is often steep and has dozens of rock steps and about 90 drains from the trailhead up to Deadass Curve, which is a left turn before the first view to the south. The fixtures were built by AMC NH Chapter Volunteer Trail Crew from 1980 to about 2007. - Yellow blazes in very good condition. - Gentler grades on/below the Agonies have same conditions as fir corridor on Greenleaf Trail. - Judging by the amount of debris and mineral soil in ditches, there was no Spring patrol to clean drains. Sand and gravel that should have been shoveled back on the treadway is still in outflow ditches. About a dozen old wood waterbars need replacing. Side ditches have about a year's worth of debris in them. Many drains will fail within the next year at present rate of filling. - The trail no longer has a treadway that is well-defined and easy to hike (or at least easier than the alternatives). There are a dozen or more steepish places where hikers bypass collapsing rock steps via the woods: these bootleg paths on organic forest soil are eroding fast. In many places, intact flights of rock steps are being bypassed because there is no scree or barricade in place. Conclusion: From the view above Deadass Curve on up, the trail is mostly bedrock with drains that need re-digging mostly uphill of the Agonies (whether those can or should be bypassed on zigzags is another discussion). From Deadass Curve on down, this trail desperately needs work by a trail crew whose focus is erosion control. Without an inventory no good estimate is possible, but several hundred hours would be a good start. The number and size of rocks that could/should be moved to make room for or support a well-defined treadway indicates a Griphoist rigging team as well as several teams with hand tools and a certified sawyer to harvest trees for waterbars.

Positive news from Kelly Ayotte. The following is cut & pasted from Kelly Ayotte's website:

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) is urging the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) to preserve a key access point to the White Mountain National Forest (WMNF), which is critical to tourism and safety in the region. In a letter Tuesday to U.S. Department of Agriculture Director of Legislative Affairs Douglas Crandall, Ayotte urged the USFS to decide against removing the bridge. The Thoreau Falls Bridge is one of the only southern access points to the Pemigewasset Wilderness area - a popular recreational destination in the region.

"Removal of the Thoreau Falls Bridge could result in a higher rate of safety challenges and rescue operations," Ayotte wrote. "Recreationists often utilize the same guide books and maps for many years and will not have updated information if a trail or bridge on their planned journey has been altered. As a result, should the bridge be removed, a hiker may attempt a dangerous and potentially fatal water crossing."

This is a link to Kelly Ayotte's website which contains text from her letter to USFS.

http://www.ayotte.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2172

Perhaps interested parties can post comments to Jean Shaheen's website and make bi-partison impact.

Thank you for posting that, Jazzbo.
IIRC she also pointed out that replacing old deck and handrails with new might cost about the same as removal. Someone who knows bridge surveys should examine the bridge. I would be concerned about the damaged upstream stringer plus the normal effects of age on wood.

The Forest Service wants more consultation with hikers. Here's your chances:

Hikers sought to inspect damage to Lincoln bridge

By PAT GROSSMITH
New Hampshire Union Leader

LINCOLN — The U.S. Forest Service is still dealing with damage in the White Mountain National Forest caused by torrential rain when tropical storm Irene blew through the state four years ago.

Now, the White Mountain National Forest, Pemigewasset District, staff wants the public’s input on what to do about the Thoreau Falls Bridge in the heart of the Pemigewasset Wilderness.

Eight hearty people are being sought for a challenging hike — 12.6 miles round trip — to the bridge and discussion about whether to replace it or not.

The log stringer bridge was put in place in 1962, and while it survived Irene in 2011 it was substantially damaged.

Tiffany Benna, public service staff officer for the forest service in the White Mountain National Forest, said the bridge is no longer sound and cannot be repaired. It will be dismantled.

Currently, only one person is allowed to cross it at a time, a temporary measure put in place to address safety concerns.

However, Benna said, the bridge continues to deteriorate.

The hike is from Lincoln Woods into the wilderness, which covers 45,000 acres and has 60 miles of maintained hiking trails. It is the largest wilderness in the White Mountain National Forest.

No mechanized equipment, including chain saws or mechanical transport such as bicycles, carts, and wagons, are allowed. Wheelchairs are permitted. Hiking and camping groups are limited to 10 people or fewer. Geocaching is prohibited.

Under the federal Wilderness Act of 1964, wilderness is defined as “an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain.”

Benna said it means that you try to leave as little of a human footprint as possible.

“It’s a primitive experience,” she said.

The Pemigewasset Wilderness has 1,200 miles of trail, including 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail.

The question, Benna said, is whether the bridge is needed, given the trails.

She said if the bridge is not replaced, hikers will still be able to make a water crossing.

Benna said the forest service already sought the public’s input regarding the bridge and those responding were split on whether or not to replace it.

As a result, two hikes are slated for Saturday, Sept. 26, and Saturday, Oct. 3, meeting at 9 a.m. at the Lincoln Woods Ranger Station.

Those who join the hike will need to be prepared for a long day — more than six hours over moderate terrain – with appropriate gear, food and water.

Group size for the hike is limited to 10 people, in accordance with Wilderness rules. It means there are eight slots available to the public.

Those interested should contact the district beforehand to reserve a spot.

To reserve a space or obtain more information, contact J. Dan Abbe, Dispersed Recreation Team Lead, at 536-6105 or [email protected].
- See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/Hikers_sought_to_inspect_damage_to_Lincoln_bridge_#sthash.nhHdLQVK.dpuf

"The Pemigewasset Wilderness has 1,200 miles of trail, including 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail."

Totally inaccurate. Presume this was the Union Leader's mistake. :rolleyes:

I am wondering what the objective of these hikes might be.... it is nice that they *are* taking potential users out there, but, the water will be (unrealistically) low if they are interested in see what it is like to cross without a bridge. As a semi-frequent user of the bridge, I would rather just bike to the wilderness boundary and run to the bridge if I wanted to give them my perspective (and I *have* written).

A really good look at it might be in winter when, trying to ski the crossing (without having a bridge), I would sink in and be there until spring.... :(

Last edited:
I think they came up with a solution: this sternly crafted PSA sign at Lincoln Woods this weekend. I interpreted it as: "There are no bridges left so be smart!"

Bondcliff_DSCN2752_1066.jpg

re: DayTrip - interesting!!! I can see why they put that there given all the people I saw walking to/from the falls from the parking area (3 miles)!!! in bathing suits a week or two ago.

Every time I see one of those similarly-titled "Water Safety" signs, and there are many, I can anticipate a fun swimming area!!!! (yeah, I know people die in all the great swimming holes, depending on conditions :( )

Last edited:
My opinion of the sign may have been biased by the discussion concerning the bridge here on VFTT. There were quite a few people in the water Saturday off the East Side Trail banks.

The sign is more likely attributed to the recent drowning death at Franconia Falls.

I am wondering what the objective of these hikes might be....the water will be (unrealistically) low if they are interested in see what it is like to cross without a bridge
What better time!

I may do the Twin/Bond ridge and take the Molly Route to meet them there. I want to complain about several rock crossings of various brooks in the Pemi. I believe they are unsafe and should be removed.

"The Pemigewasset Wilderness has 1,200 miles of trail, including 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail."

Totally inaccurate. Presume this was the Union Leader's mistake. :rolleyes:

Those would be the correct numbers for the entire WMNF.

The sign is more likely attributed to the recent drowning death at Franconia Falls.

Was that the one where the two kids drowned down near the Kanc? I had forgotten about that. Haven't hiked out of Lincoln Woods in awhile. That makes sense.

Was that the one where the two kids drowned down near the Kanc? I had forgotten about that. Haven't hiked out of Lincoln Woods in awhile. That makes sense.

no - mid-summer a 17-year-old recent HS grad from Lowell, MA, was stepping across a rock at Franconia Falls (around 3.5 miles from the Lincoln Woods Trailhead via the Lincoln Woods Trail to the Franconia Falls Trail) and slipped in and drowned. Several years ago (maybe more), a guy slipped in and drowned trying to save his dog who did not die...

I could be wrong with the facts, but, the Franconia Falls area has had a few fatalities (probably like many of the Falls in the WMNF).

I too wonder what the purpose of the hike is. I was asked once to fill in for Tim at a hearing for the Wildcat ski passes and my experience with not very positive. The USFS employee was pleasant but her main goal was to check off a box on things required to implement decisions. She had a 20 minute presentation on why she had to have a public hearing and why she also could ignore public input.

About the only value on a hike like this is haul a transit along and document the depth of channel and evidence of seasonal and extraordinary high water events in the area to establish the true potential hiker impact. Having a hike in the fall after a borderline drought in the state is not going to show much. I personally got caught on the wrong side of the Wild River once after the remnants of a Hurricane unexpectedly came up the coast and if the bridge wasn't there we would have been stranded with a bunch of borderline hypothermic scouts.

The reality is to replace the trail to wilderness standards can be done but it costs a heck of lot less to tear it down and requires no ongoing maintenance. Unless it becomes a political liability, USFS managers are rewarded for cutting their budgets. Unless it become a political liability for not replacing it the default is tear it down.

I too wonder what the purpose of the hike is.

Having a hike in the fall after a borderline drought in the state is not going to show much.

I was thinking this as well.

I think it's great to have a group of hikers go out to the bridge and actually look at the site as a group with USFS. Honestly, that's kind of a novel idea these days. Imagine that - people from the decision making entity AND people from the major use group actually physically at the site to discuss impact. I think that is a good model.

However, in line with your thinking, I think this hike should take place in April as that will represent the true danger involved in the crossing. It's important to know the extent of the danger at its worst, not its best. I agree a hike in the dry season may not show the true reality of the crossing.

If they want to make an honest assessment with a representative user group, they could go now when it is easy to walk underneath the bridge and inspect the damaged stringers and again in April when it would be highly dangerous if not impossible to cross.

It does resemble the process of selling your house - you spruce it up and show and sell it during the prime season for selling houses. In this case, they are trying to sell the removal of the bridge and so they are bringing the 'buyers' out during the season where the sale will be easiest.

It could be that given their planned timing, this is the last chance to make the case for removal.

Tim

I suspect it is mostly about "process" and some of the policy makers couldn't care less about what hikers think.

Stan, I believe that you are more correct about un-elected bureaucrats than about our elected Representatives and Senators. We must remember that hiker comments got Sen. Ayotte to write the USFS on 9/8.
A site visit w/ USFS ranger lets us speak directly to them, and then write the Senator from recent personal observation. Aside from the fact that doing nothing is not a smart option in this case of a damaged bridge, the bigger conflict results from the Forest Supervisor's discretionary power to close and remove a structure the public uses regularly because of the USFS interpretation of the language in the Wilderness Act because Congress has not yet clarified that language to give the USFS sufficient guidance/limits on their discretion.
Whew! The matter does belong in the lap of Congress, who all know how to count votes if nothing else. IMHO we should aim at the language that says that in Wilderness areas "... man is a visitor who does not remain." I take the view that people have the right to visit the Pemi, that a substantial percentage of it is accessed via this bridge, that removing of shelters increases the chances that we will only visit the area, but removing bridges like this one needlessly endangers our physical safety as we travel to and from a place where we, the landowners, have a right to visit.
Therefore, if Congress will revise the Act or the regulations it authorizes, the proper action is to replace the bridge in question with a new one substantially similar. If that is decided, then it is only a question of how to do so.