Thoughts, "musings," and reflections on finishing the Winter 46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
I think this might be longer than my trip report, and for that I apologize. I simply want to pay tribute to some special people in my life, and the passion of my outdoor experiences: The Adirondacks. If you want to waste some time, read on:

I have spent every summer of my life in the Adirondacks, and have been the 4th generation in my family to do so. Because of that, every summer I seem to fall more in love with this incredible park. In January of 1999 my father and grandfather organized a trip to Grace Camp, in the High Peaks Wilderness. My grandfather had taken my father there when he was a child, and now it was my father’s turn to provide me with the same opportunity. That was the year of the terrible ice storm that closed down the Northway. I still remember sitting in my grandfather’s kitchen watching the news as a naive 10 year old, wondering if we’d actually make it up to the Garden or not. Eventually we did, and I had one of the most miserable hikes of my entire life. I hated it. It rained, it was hard, I was not in shape, my pack was heavy, and we got somewhat lost (yes, I know it’s only 3 miles, but it had been awhile for my elders, and they couldn’t remember which way to go). We were eventually helped out, around 8pm, by some firefighters from New York City (you’ll hear more about them later). The rest of the 3 days were spent recovering from the trip in, and hiking to Bushnell Falls, thus redeeming winter hiking in my eyes. As soon as we got back home, my dad asked if I wanted to reserve it again for the next year. I said YES! This was one of my first lessons learned; never let temporary misery cloud your enjoyment of the outdoors. A bad day in the woods beats a good day pretty much anyplace else.

The following year we hiked into Grace Camp again, and this time it was a little easier. On that trip, I climbed my very first High Peak, Big Slide, and in winter none-the-less. My grandfather lead the way, at the age of 76, and it was an awesome experience for us all. I was an inexperienced eleven year old who knew nothing of the outdoors. I was wearing Wal-Mart-quality snow pants over cotton jeans over cotton long johns. I carried a desert canteen, and kept all my layers on all the time. I’m still surprised I didn’t die on one of those early trips. That outfit stayed with me through my next winter peaks, Upper Wolfjaw, Armstrong, Lower Wolfjaw, Saddleback, and Basin. It wasn’t until my 4th year going into the mountains that I actually learned something about proper clothing and gear, and overhauled my entire wardrobe and for a went cotton-free environment. I have no idea what others must have thought of us in those early days, a kid, an adult, and a senior citizen all poorly equipped beyond belief, hiking through the winter forest bound for their next adventure.

Our next few years of hiking remained in the Grace Camp area, as we bagged Marcy, Haystack, and Gothics. We went into Grace Camp a total of 9 years, and that would be only winter trip for the whole season. That’s why it’s taken us so long to complete the Winter 46! Our last year of the JBL area contained the most traumatic experience of my life, the accident of 2007 (see middle of thread here). Ironically, it was the same fireman who essentially saved my dad’s and Peter’s life, as it was who helped us make it into Grace Camp on that first trip. This accident did make me reevaluate almost everything in my life, including our winter trips, but it by no means kept us out of the mountains. A month later we were hiking again, better equipped and more prepared than before, and now joined by the journalist who had covered our rescue story for the Times Union. After bagging Cascade and Porter, and later Esther and Whiteface, our 2007 season was completed.

The next year we bagged a few more peaks, including Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge, Algonquin, Iroquois, Wright, and Phelps. We also took our first winter High Peak camping trip in the Seward Range, packing in Seymour and Seward. We missed out on Donaldson and Emmons, but conquered them later that year in the longest day hike of my life (20 miles…yay for the gate being closed). I was now hooked on winter camping as well, though it certainly was a different experience than staying in the Adirondack Loj! We were half done by the end of that season, and had experienced just about all possible Adirondack winter conditions (from -85°F wind-chill on Marcy, to 50°F and raining on Phelps). This current season we hiked the other 23, at which I’m still amazed. I really have to say that I owe hiking half of them this winter to the forums. It has been such a pleasure to have the constant re-assurance of you all, and to read your first-rate trip reports. You all are my inspiration, and for that I thank you so very much!

There are a few things I’ve come to learn, love, and cherish through my Winter 46-R hiking experiences. First of all, I love how the generation gap is bridged! I am usually on the younger side of those I hike with, and I love how winter hiking brings all of our different age groups together. Many of my best hiking friends are older and wiser than myself, and I have learned so much from them; you shall forever hold my respect. I also love seeing grown adults act like little, goofy kids; and on the flip side, goofy little kids (such as myself and my friends), have the opportunity to experience adult responsibility. Hiking is the great equalizer of the age groups, and that always provides me much joy!

This brings me to something else I love about winter travel: the camaraderie of fellow hikers, regardless of their age. I have yet to find an activity that melds people together towards a common goal better than hiking. I have hiked with many people who were complete strangers when I met them in the parking lot, and soon became excellent friends. Hiking with people I’ve met on the forums has so far always worked out, and they’ve consistently been wonderful people with whom I’ve been thrilled to become acquainted. At this point I’ve hiked the various winter 46 with a grand total of 43 different people, and some of them are now my best friends, and most knowledgeable elders.

This also ties into the joy of meeting new people on the trail. I must say, before I began this pursuit, I resented seeing others on the trail and having to share my campsite with strangers. There were some instances where I was downright rude to people who came up to our lean-to and chatted for awhile. I am very sorry for these actions, and have come to learn what a valuable and enjoyable experience it can be to meet new, and oftentimes interesting, people on the trail and at campsites. There are still times when I hike solo, or camp in a remote, unknown area for the solitude of it all, but I now appreciate meeting new people, and sharing a lean-to with a brand-new friend.

I also have had the opportunity to experience positive stress. It was Kurt Han, the founder of Outward Bound, who theorized that young men need positive stress to cope with life in general. One of the best ways to experience this “eustress” is in the wilderness. I have been lost, suffered from frost nip, tended to a friend with hypothermia and frostbite, been pushed to the brink of exhaustion many a time, and participated in the rescue of my father and our friend. I feel as though all these experiences have taught me how, to the best of my abilities, think clearly in emergency situations and be of some value to my hiking partners. I have certainly at least learned many hard and soft skills, and have come in direct contact with my many ineptitudes. All of these particular situations have also taught me how to learn (a skill in itself), and have shown me how much I have left to learn. I am constantly humbled my lack of knowledge of the outdoors, and am continually discovering new things from interactions with my hiking partners, and my growing collection of both good and bad experiences.

And finally, let’s not forget the aspect of simply being in the great out-of-doors. This is a unique experience for everyone, and every individual shares their own, distinctive love in a distinguishing fashion. We all, however, have an emotional connection to being outside, and that will forever live in our hearts, and unite us as an all-encompassing passion.

Well, I think I’ve said quite enough! I want to throw a HUGE thank you out there to:
-My faithful hiking partner, my dad, who has climbed every single High Peak with me. I owe so much to him, and his guidance, sacrifice, dependability, and love.
-My grandfather, who introduced my father to hiking when he was a child, and has passed that love of the outdoors down to me.
-My mom, who is always a source of encouragement, and has shown her support of our climbing time and time again!
-Ricky, who is my best friend and loyal hiking partner, we have had some crazy times in the outdoors!
-Matt and Charlie, who are willing to hit the trails with us time and time again, even when no one else will even make the consideration.
-All of the rest my amazing hiking friends, from on here, and beyond. It’s been a pleasure getting to know you, and sharing some excellent outdoor times with you all (thanks to the moderators and webmasters of this site, as well, you do a fabulous job).
-ALL the people who make hiking in the Adirondacks possible; the DEC, ADK Mountain Club, ADK 46ers (including my wonderful correspondent), trail maintainers, and the list goes on. All of those who’ve I forgotten, too, and those who work silently behind the scenes to make this all possible. Thank you, I’m eternally indebted to you all! Now, who have I forgotten?

Thank you for taking the time to read this long diatribe. Happy trails, good hiking, and the best wishes to you all!

-Tyler M

Last edited:
This also ties into the joy of meeting new people on the trail. I must say, before I began this pursuit, I resented seeing others on the trail and having to share my campsite with strangers. There were some instances where I the time to read this long diatribe. Happy trails, good hiking, and the best wishes to you all!

-Tyler M

You have made a very astute and mature observation, not just a recognition of a fact, but something that now serves as a motivation and guide for your future, as well as those you will encounter in the days to come.
I was fortunate to have parents and those who would serve as mentors for me drill in what you have stated. Trailside courtesy was the name of the game, even if it meant surpressing the instinct to goof. As a matter of fact, I've always been a bit disappointed when people don't stop to chat up a bit. We are a brotherhood, a family of all types, regardless of gender, experience and tastes. There's too much to share out there to ever want to miss out.

Your well runs true and deep, may it continue to sustain you in hikes ahead.

46? You forgot two peaks! (Kidding, kidding)...congratulations!

Holy cow, ADK88! I just had to check your profile because I can't believe you are 'only' 20 years old. I just spent the morning reading your account of the "Rescue on Gothics." What an absolutely gripping way to kill my morning at work. You are certainly wise beyond your years. Congratulations, again. Well done.

Amen, buddy.

My kids are just starting down this crazy road themselves; I can only hope to know that in twenty years they will have found therein the joy and wisdom you obviously have.

Best wishes, and I hope to see you out there someday.

Matt

Fisher Cat: Thanks! "We are a brotherhood, a family of all types, regardless of gender, experience and tastes." I completely agree!

rocket21: Hahaha...well at some point I'll hopefully get those last two in...as well as the other NH46 ;)

TrishandAlex: Thanks so much :)

Tom Rankin: Thanks! I actually did submit part of it for my weekly hiking report "requirement."

wardsgirl: Oh, thank you very much for your encouraging words. I always appreciate your support.

mirabela: Thanks! I hope you have some excellent hiking experiences with your children in the future! Remember, the youngest Winter 4er was 7, so it's never really too early to begin hiking!

Thanks, again, so much, Skyclimber, for your continual support and great encouragement.

Tom, ok. Thank you for the heads up. We'll see about that.

Right on bud! Quite an accomplishment. Looks like you guys had some pretty good sled runs down the peaks! :)