Tom Field Willey and Hale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
Meb and I left the Zealand parking lot saturday morning all set for a day of adventure! The Zealand trail was great, flat and easy, with lots of wildflowers in bloom along the way. Meb took pictures of them all so that we could identify them later using her new "Wildflower Identification Book." We followed the Zealand trail until in intersected with the AZ. Here we turned left, excited to be on a section of trail that neither of us had been on before. We loved getting different views of the pond! The trail was pretty flat, some bog bridges and small stream crossings, lots of twists and turns. The only steep section was the very last push up to the intersection with the Willey Range trail.

At the intersection, we dropped pack, hit Tom, and then headed to Field under a light rain. The gray jays were out on Field, and Meb had fun feeding and teasing them with bits of food. We took a quick break and then moved on to Willey. The rain stopped, I thought I was hearing thunder, but Meb said it was only airplanes :rolleyes: We tried to note the sections on this part of the trail that can be confusing in the winter, we had done a bit of wandering in this section a few months ago!! I think we've got it figured out now!

From Willey, we took the very steep trail down. I found it to be easier going down without snow than it was with snow, but thats just my opinion. The ladders are impressive, and numerous(they were under snow before).

Anyway, now comes the best part of the whole day. The ethan pond trail!! New for both Meb and I, we enjoyed the pleasant grade (FLAT), the hundreds of bog bridges, wildflowers, a side trip to the shelter and the pond, and Thoreau Falls, which we only saw from the top. A super spectacular trail which eventually dumped us back onto the Zealand trail and up to the hut. We had a quick break here, got some water, and decided we had enough energy to go over Hale. The Lend-A-Hand is a neat trail, hadn't been on it in a long time. Got some nice views on the way to the summit. Definitely heard thunder on top of Hale, so we scooted fast down the Hale brook and back to Zealand road. The last mile was the road :eek: but it went by fast. I have to say, this was one of my favorite hikes. The trails were easy, so I could actually look around while I hiked!! Thanks Meb for another fun sister hike!!

Wow! What a great report! I am actually looking for a hike to do tommorrow, and I need all of those peaks. Maybe I'll check out your route...I love wildflowers! :)

My only question is, does anyone think the ladders will be too tough for a dog? Are they like the easy ones on the Osseo Trail or are they very vertical?

Thanks for any ladder-beta AND for such an inspiring report.

Last edited:
I haven't gone up Willey and Field in maybe ten years, and I went UP from Ethan Pond, and I remember it being pretty steep. Then again, I was also carrying about 40 pounds on my back. :rolleyes: I love Ethan Pond and the myriad of beaver ponds in that area in the wintertime especially.

Thanks, Ed! I found some very informative pictures on a hiking site (thanks, Chicken Boy :) ) complete with another canine in action. The ladders look fine.

Thanks again, Little Sister and sorry for the slight derailment. Me thinks I will head out that a'way tommorrow!

:rolleyes:

some shots of the ladders if anyone else was wondering:

http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/Willey061015/P1010006.html
http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/Willey061015/P1010007.html
http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/Willey061015/P1010008.html
http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/Willey061015/P1010010.html

or a preview of the "scarier" picture:
P1010006_t.jpg

Best route to Willey from Crawford Notch?

There are two ways up to Willey from Crawford Notch - Kedron Flume Trail or Ethan Pond Trail.

I would be curious to hear viewpoints of the two trails in terms of steepness, views and any other comments people might have.

Oh what a fun day! Nothing like lots of flat easy miles, new trails and intersting sights along the way. Not to mention it's always a pleasure to hike with Sis :) Coming through Zealand Notch was a first for both of us and it was so cool! I can't wait to go back and do some more exploring.

Here are some of the pictures.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559328053OhoAMG

-MEB

Reactions: arm
Nice trip report for a fairly lengthy hike, even if the trails are not the steepest (with the exception of the ladders on Willey). The old rail grade in Zealand Notch is one of the finest trails in the Whites, I think, and is even more scenic on x-c skis when snow covered, IMHO.

Little Sister & MEB - that must have been you that I drove by walking up Zealand Road at about 6:30 PM...? I met MEB briefly on the Jefferson Jam, so probably wouldn't recognize her that easily...but HikerAmiga was in the car with me (actually a big ugly red minivan) and she said "Isn't that MEB and Little Sister"? I considered driving back and offering you both a ride to your car, but figured it might be a little scary to have a strange vehicle pull up to you out in the woods. Plus we weren't sure if it really was you two...

Little Sister said:
The last mile was the road :eek: but it went by fast.

Ohhh, gosh! RLC and I were driving out on Zealand Road towards Rte. 302 when I thought I recognized MEB hiking out right after you. I wasn't quite sure if, in fact, it was you and MEB that I'd seen and mentioned this to RLC who was driving and he wondered if we should turn around and see if you guys needed a ride somewhere. I honestly wasn't sure as we passed you so quickly!! My apologies for not turning around to see if you were who I thought you might be and needed a ride?? (Guess I'm NOT such an "Amiga" afterall! :eek: )

Sounds like you had a great hike though! That day, we had a great time hiking Zealand and the Twinway trails up to Zeacliff pond, just 1.8 miles shy of Zealand summit before we needed to turn around to make some evening commitments.

Nice trip report, especially about the Ethan Pond Trail. I've only gone to the pond itself. It's a great place to spend the night. I'm glad to hear that the trail is so interesting beyond the pond as well.

Ray