Trail Maintainence in the Whites, what's Ok ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You, Roy for your fact finding

The points of conduct listed below are generally included in and enforceable through Federal Regulations. All of the regulations are published in Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations and are on file at all Forest Supervisor and District Ranger Offices. Violation of orders and Regulations is subject to punishment by a fine or imprisonment. Authority: 16 USC 551, 7 USC 1011(f).

I'll try to obtain a copy.

Thanks to all the adopters who put thier time and efforts in to assist the forest service in the maintainence the trails we all share, after all they are OUR trails. :) You all do a great job, and I hope you get alot of satisfaction from your efforts.

I'd like to see the USFS make contacting adopters a little more accessible -- if adopters are willing. The laminated signs at some trailheads are a good start. In NY, the DEC has trail registry sign in's where people can enter thier group size, route and date (if desired) and any info they would like the Ranger to be aware of. (In addition, the Ranger signs in as well). It would be perhaps helpful if there was a small box where hikers could leave notes regarding trail issues? As with clearing a blowdown as the inspiration and need strikes, sometimes its easier for people to leave information immediately -- rather than remember to call the local ranger district when they get home and back to thier busy lives. Just a thought...

Last edited:
16 USC 551
The Secretary of Agriculture shall ... make such rules and regulations and establish such service as will insure the objects of such reservations, namely, to regulate their occupancy and use and to preserve the forests thereon from destruction ...

7 USC 1011 (f)
To make such rules and regulations as he deems necessary to prevent trespasses and otherwise regulate the use and occupancy of property acquired by, or transferred to, the Secretary for the purposes of this subchapter, in order to conserve and utilize it or advance the purposes of this subchapter.

Title 36 §261.10
The following are prohibited:
(a) Constructing, placing, or maintaining any kind of road, trail, structure, fence, enclosure, communication equipment, significant surface disturbance, or other improvement on National Forest System lands or facilities without a special-use authorization, contract, or approved operating plan when such authorization is required.

------

Note that it says "when such authorization is required." These are basically the laws that give the Forest Service its regulatory power. These are not the rules that have been established for the White Mountain National Forest.

WMNF Law Enforcement Guide as linked by Roy states "Do not carve, chop, cut, or damage any live trees."

The Forest Management Plan as linked by Roy is a beast of a document. It mentions "Trails should be maintained to standards described in FSH 2309.18, consistent with the ROS objectives of each management area."

FSH 2309.18 is the Trails Management Handbook. Maintenance is covered in this .RTF document. It is more about how to create and budget trail maintenance plans. A few good quotes of interest:
"Volunteer programs like 'adopt-a-trail' can lessen the financial dilemma faced by trail managers. Managers should also take advantage of contributed funding and other force account crews, such as fire crews. Individual users and user groups, such as outfitters and clubs, will often assist if they are aware of maintenance needs."
"Within wilderness areas ... Occasional logs or obstructions that will not cause detouring may be left in the trail to aid in creating a more natural appearance. Low-growing vegetation will be allowed to grow close to the trail."

So that's all I could pull out of the those documents given an admittedly cursory review.

Also, my $0.02 ... these are trails in the woods. While I am the first to b*tch about blowdowns (because they result in detours and ugly herd paths) and feel that designated trails are such and need to be maintained, hello, it's called land management ... I also don't think that we should all be out there turning the trails into open roadways or sidewalks.

Last edited:
Thanks to all the adopters who put thier time and efforts in to assist the forest service in the maintainence the trails we all share, after all they are OUR trails. :) You all do a great job, and I hope you get alot of satisfaction from your efforts.

I'd like to see the USFS make contacting adopters a little more accessible -- if adopters are willing. The laminated signs at some trailheads are a good start. In NY, the DEC has trail registry sign in's where people can enter thier group size, route and date (if desired) and any info they would like the Ranger to be aware of. (In addition, the Ranger signs in as well). It would be perhaps helpful if there was a small box where hikers could leave notes regarding trail issues? As with clearing a blowdown as the inspiration and need strikes, sometimes its easier for people to leave information immediately -- rather than remember to call the local ranger district when they get home and back to thier busy lives. Just a thought...

I generally agree with points raised so far. We do the best we can as volunteers with the time we have. As an adopter on the Piper trail on Mt. Chocorua and volunteer with the Forest Service, I don't mind hikers moving small blowdowns or scratching out drainages.

Una, you raise some good points. I'm not sure why the adopter list isn't accessible - legal reasons I'd guess.

I think sites like NEtrailconditions allow trail maintainers to know about issues if they are active in maintaining them. But of course, there is the time issue as well. I go in the spring and in the late late fall but generally avoid my trail in the summer and early fall. This might key into how effective a trail issue box is at certain times of the year.

<Thread drift?> Bad rumors kicking around that some of the Forest Service trail crews won't be funded in 2011. Even more important for folks to step up and adopt trails or volunteer on day trips with groups like Trailwrights, CTA, and AMC NH Chapter. <Thread drift? off>

Hikers helping adopters

I decided to wait for other adopters' remarks before adding mine. I agree that it is helpful for hikers to remove fallen trees and scuff out an overflowing drain, and even erect a small cairn in the alpine zone provided it is right next to the trail. The consensus is right about brushing and blazing too: cutting live trees is only for the authorized, and blazing is a balancing act between too much and too little, so it is best done by the adopter who hopefully has the good judgement that tends to come from experience.
I encourage people to file reports on www.newenglandtrailconditions.com because their form asks the right questions, you can stay anonymous if you wish, and the adopter can contact you with questions or an invite to join them if you so remark. I plan to use this website more in the future in the posters I put up at trailheads my crews maintain. There is always more work than workers.
Creag nan drochaid

Trail adopters wanted

On 2/28/11, Giff posted the list of orphan trail sections on Pemi District in need of adopters. It is posted in Q&A New England of VFTT. Persons interested should scan that list with their WMG to hand if they are not familiar with the trail, some of them look pretty good. If the full-time paid seasonal crews are getting trimmed, here is a chance for the volunteer to step up and make a big difference. Lotsa fun too.
Creag nan drochaid

helping out

I have always had a habit of "working" on trails Im hiking, but the work is light. I use my poles to flick branches off of the trail and I always try and clean waterbars when I see pooling water above them. These simple task barely slow me down, but the trails I love desearve a little of my attention. Blowdowns, my rule of thumb has always been, if I can move it off the trail with my hands I do, if it needs to be cut, I leave it for the trail crew or adopter to handle. As far as actual laws, I try not to think in those terms when Im in the woods to be honest.;)

What constitutes appropriate and allowable trail maintenance in the
WMNF?

Some Points to frame the discussion:

3. What is the penalty, if any, and who is the agency
That issues the penalty?

OK, let's lay it out there. This is what has Sabrina upset. A ranger happened to come around the corner just as she was "innocently" removing a branch from the trail. Look what he did to her...:eek: Can we really stand for that?:confused:

Womaninstocks.jpg

OK, let's lay it out there. This is what has Sabrina upset. A ranger happened to come around the corner just as she was "innocently" removing a branch from the trail. Look what he did to her...:eek: Can we really stand for that?:confused:

OMG - I thought they only did that to people who didn't wear snowshoes in the ADK's!

Reactions: dug
I could never conceive why someone would want to place an illegal blaze anyways..
People add blazes usually because they think others may need help following the trail, I'm sure they don't consider it illegal but rather a public service.

It happens all the time, I got a letter from Camp Mowglis once asking if I knew who had blazed a section of one of their trails which they deliberately keep rustic so the campers learn woodcraft.

What was apparently a well-meaning youth group of some sort decided the first 20 miles of the LT/AT in VT needed more blazes so they blazed so many trees that there were often a dozen visible at once with splotchy blazes, some were inches wide and over a foot tall. Of course they didn't do any surface prep so I scraped some off easily. The GMC tried to paint over some of them with a couple colors of paint, but of course it didn't quite match the trees and the 2-layer paint lasted longer than just one layer.

Just an opinion.

Una-Dogger:
What constitutes appropriate and allowable trail maintenance in the
WMNF?
FWIW Any authorized and trained adoptor or trail crew working on a trail would be considered Appropriate and allowable. Anything else is anyones guess.As can be seen in this forum.
1,I think an individual that sees debris or small blowdowns should feel free to remove them properly (don't throw them into drainages) and SAFELY.
2,Waterbars could be kicked somewhat clean with a heel (can be tough on boots).
Many years ago when I was leading groups for the AMC Mtn. Leadership Schools,Other leaders meeting our group would often comment that thay could tell Hal had been here with a group because the bars would be kicked clean.
I think an adoptors hardest job is cleaning waterbars and I would be surprised if he or she would complain. There could be an exception I suppose.
To sum up 1and 2 should be acceptable to an adoptor and the WMNF,because of no harm being done,however brushing and blazing should be left to the adoptor.
Better yet adopt a trail and get trained and have all the fun you want or join a group and help out whenever you feel like it you might discover that you will like it..;)

A Good Read for Trail Maintenance

This down-loadable (PDF File) from the AMC will help with the relationship between the trail maintainer and trail.

adopter-handbook.pdf

Even if you never pick up a shovel or clippers, as a trail hiker you should read it.

AND TO ALL THE VOLUNTEERS MAINTAINING THE TRAILS OUT THERE

THANK YOU

Hike Free and Live...Walker

Citations of this nature in the WMNF are VERY rare. The closest case I can recall was someone building a fairly elaborate campsite with cut trees, etc. As I recall, they were cited for "unauthorized alterations" or something to that effect.
There were the people who cleaned up the party spot near Stinson Lake and even put in a picnic table, they were facing a stiff fine until Sen. Gregg complained. This event even appeared on a "stupid laws" website as "illegal to clean up trash in National Forest"

There was also an elderly woman who built a couple of trails near Inn Unique, who thought her age would get her off but was wrong - you could ask Saco district for details.

(As a relatively new volunteer)

I tend to agree with the general consensus among the volunteer maintainers here. Some thoughts:

Clearing water bars is just simply good for the trail and IMO kind of hard to screw up. It probably won't result in trail damage so by all means...

If you have to use any form of implement (tool, brush, backhoe, etc.), then you probably shouldn't be doing it. Tossing branches off the trail, kicking out water bars, picking up trash if seen...great.

Of course, now I'm recalling last spring when I went out in April to do some basic work and a check on Ammo Ravine - biggest avy path I've ever seen in the Whites had left a swath of trees like matchsticks piled in the river and in spots, across the trail. Disaster area. And me, standing there by myself like an idiot with an axe.:eek:

I wouldn't have minded the "rogue" help then. Thanks to the FS crew on that one...

Edit: Please let me know about any issues on the Ammo Ravine Trail.

Last edited:
http://doc.dartmouth.edu/wiki/Blowdowns

DOC has a page which anyone can join and post what they find along the trail as far as conditions. This way when someone sees something needs work, like, say, a blowdown, they can post it on WikiDOC, and either the Adopter, the DOC students, or DOC Summer Trail Crew will take care of it. Once it is removed, the post can be edited to reflect current conditions so no one goes out to the trail with a chain saw only to find the blowdown they were going to remove already gone.:eek:

I have no idea about laws, citations or the like.

If you have to use any form of implement (tool, brush, backhoe, etc.), then you probably shouldn't be doing it. Tossing branches off the trail, kicking out water bars, picking up trash if seen...great.

I think this is a TERRIFIC guideline, with one exception that goes back to my feelings about blowdowns.

I *personally* think it should be okay for anyone to saw the branches off of a blowdown. Make it possible for people to step over it until it can be properly dealt with by the right people. Otherwise, it can be dangerous or even impossible to pass over, and people will go around, push through and trample vegetation, form a herd path, etc.

This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the main purpose of trail maintanance is to protect the resource from erosion and damage, not to facilitate hiking. :cool:

Keep in mind that the main purpose of trail maintanance is to protect the resource from erosion and damage, not to facilitate hiking. :cool:

Keep in mind the main purpose of a trail is for hiking, not to facilitate erosion or damage. :cool:

Tim

In line with both points, since adopters don't get to their trail every day or even every month, it makes sense for other hikers to do what they can to protect the resource in the interim:
* Scuff out waterbars to reduce erosion
* Move fallen branches so hikers don't create paths around them
* Mark places where hikers might get lost and wander with temporary means such as flagging that the adopter can easily remove when they reblaze it - note that in some places like Acadia it is illegal to build cairns

In days of yore when every camper carried a full-sized ax, blowdowns didn't last long as they were promptly removed as a public service. But with even a tiny saw you can as mentioned cut protruding branches to increase hiker safety and reduce bypass paths.

Several years ago there was a heavily-used trail which maybe wasn't adopted or the adopters were incompetent or didn't care, anyway there were branches touching across the trail and evergreens growing up at the edge. One time after the AMC crew went by I sensed their frustration as some of the encroaching trees had been slashed with an ax - they don't carry saw or clippers. Twice I took a folding saw and each time cut over 100 stems along the edge. Fortunately the statute of limitations has expired, and I would never do it again now that the FS is more interested in legalese than resource protection.