Tripyramid slide loop...trailhead "accomidations"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all

getting time to try and tick off the tripyramids...want to do the slide loop to at least have something interesting associated with these two peaks (I've heard they, in and of themselves aren't much)...

As you know, we come from Maine...and, in my estimates...it will take about 3.5 - 4 hrs to get to the Livermore Rd trailhead. questions

1. best route to the trailhead: Get off I-93 early and take the WHOLE tripoli rd to the end and come in this way...or keep on I-93 and take the exit that gets us onto Rte 49 (I think) and come in via the Waterville Valley way...

2. We are concerned about finding the trailhead in the dark (which we would have to do if we came in EARLY am and hiked that day) so we want to come in on Fri. Night (probably get there around 7:00 ish), find the trail head...and then camp out somewhere close enough to the car that we can return to the car and stash the tent/am supplies back in the car before hiking up (without sleeping IN the car...as I guess this is frowned upon in most polite societies...and it would SUCK to be woken up and told to leave befor this hike).

thanks for the help.

Tripoli Road from 93 is longer than you think. Coming from the south, I prefer to go in exit 28 (route 49) and bear right at the split with the ski area access road and follow that to Livermore. Coming from the north, it's probably faster to follow Tripoli Road from 93. It's definitely shorter, and you pass plenty of legal car-camping spots.

There's also the border patrol delay avoidance if you do not travel between exits 28 and 29.

Tim

I have been there several times and still have trouble finding that trailhead.
one of the toughest ones to find in the whites.
you may want to try and get there earlier on friday night to allow ample time to find the trailhead.

you can always add whiteface/passaconoway/sleepers to the mix as well, if you are worried that the tri's may be be boring.

Last edited:
The trailhead is easy to find coming from Tripoli Road - just turn L across the bridge then L again

You can sleep in your car along Tripoli Rd if you pay the appropriate fee at the contact station near the W end - read the rules there

But I agree that the approach via Rte.49 is faster (coming from the S) if you disregard the other 2 issues, from the N take Tripoli and go slow

Last edited:
I'm doing the Tripyramids tomorrow. I'm lucky because I live only 6 miles away. The Tripoli road is slow going, but coming from the north you might save some time. When you come down the road just asfter passing the Osceola vista campground on your left, there is a road also on you left that goes over the river, take that and bear to your left.

If you come from rt 49, take a left at the annoying blicking speed radar (you will know it) and continue up the access road. When you come to the large Water Valley Ski Resort sign, bear to your right. The next right that you come to will be the entrance to the parking lot.

Have fun

I realize that you want to do the slides, but it you just want the summits, its a lot quicker via the Kanc, either Pine Bend Brook trail out and back or in combination with the Sabathday Brook Trail. There are a couple of USFS campgrounds nearby. No matter which way you go its a long drive around to Waterville valley from Maine and an even longer drive back (at least it feels that way after a long hike)

The parking area is pretty large--room for more than 100 cars. (It is also known as Depot Camp.) The trail (Livermore Rd) leaves from the corner on the far right as you enter (SE corner). There is a kiosk at the TH and an outhouse across the lot. The Trail is an old logging road (now maintained as a fire road and XC ski trail)--just stay on it up to the hairpin turn to the left where the trail to the N slide leaves off to the right. The road changes name to Livermore Tr where it turns left out of the XC ski area--the XC ski tr turns right over a bridge. (Us older timers, know the whole thing as Livermore Rd...) You will pass the trail to the South slide--go by it (this is where you will come out on your return).

The AMC map doesn't show that area very well, so here is a map with an arrow (and an "A") on the parking lot: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=43.96....963168,-71.514688&spn=0.020943,0.034332&z=15 (Livermore Rd actually connects to the SE corner of the parking lot--you can see the connector if you switch to the satellite view.) The road labeled "Fire Rd 203" leads to the Oceola Vista Campground.

Doug

Last edited:
Hi all

2. We are concerned about finding the trailhead in the dark (which we would have to do if we came in EARLY am and hiked that day) so we want to come in on Fri. Night (probably get there around 7:00 ish), find the trail head...and then camp out somewhere close enough to the car that we can return to the car and stash the tent/am supplies back in the car before hiking up (without sleeping IN the car...as I guess this is frowned upon in most polite societies...and it would SUCK to be woken up and told to leave befor this hike).

thanks for the help.

I realize you are already on the road, but if you have access to the Internet, I have a piece of land off of Rt 49 that you are more than welcome to camp on. It is just a lot with no facilities, but it is only 6 miles from the trailhead.

Reactions: dug
Expect SAR activity at Livermore trailhead tomorrow

Agree with all that's been said about easiest way in (exit 28, right on Rt 49, 13 miles to left onto Tripoli Road -- follow signs toward ski area). In terms of camping, especially coming in after dark -- there are two campground options on the Waterville end (Waterville Campground, immediately left after turning onto Tripoli Road; and Osceola Vista, which is up the Tripoli Road about a mile past the turn-off on West Branch Road to Livermore Parking Area). Or, as someone pointed out, you could also do the Tripoli Road Distributed Camping thing (though that requires driving all the way through to the north to pay).

In terms of finding the Livermore trailhead -- follow the Tripoli Road up from Rt 49, pass the town offices right, keep going up the hill to the split (left is ski area -- stay right). You'll pass a beaver dam (right), and about half a mile along West Branch Road diverges right over one-lane bridge -- turn here, and the Livermore parking area is immediately left.

One more tip for the slides -- it's been mentioned here before, but it's worth repeating: when you get to the South Slide cut-off (about 2.3 miles from Livermore TH), be careful that the sign is misleading. If you're doing the slide loop, you want to keep on going on Livermore Trail to the NORTH Slide trail, descending via the South Slide.

Bear in mind the area is taken over by literally hundreds of search and rescue people (pros and volunteers), helicopters, etc., all searching for an elderly local woman who has been missing for several days. This would make attempting to sleep in your car at the Livermore TH inadvisable -- not that you would do that. Please do keep your eyes open for Beth Upton -- 5' 3", 130lbs, last seen Tuesday afternoon. She's suffering from dementia and is likely very disoriented. The whole area has been thoroughly searched, but all eyes are welcome. Call 911 if you do see anything -- thanks.

One more tip for the slides -- it's been mentioned here before, but it's worth repeating: when you get to the South Slide cut-off (about 2.3 miles from Livermore TH), be careful that the sign is misleading. If you're doing the slide loop, you want to keep on going on Livermore Trail to the NORTH Slide trail, descending via the South Slide.

QUOTE]

As one who has made this mistake due to the misleading sign, (and I'll bet there have been hundreds of others). I don't understand why a new sign hasn't yet been placed here,saving hikers an unwanted detour or dangerous hike.

All great info...

sounds like a llooonngg drive to do the slides...

So...for the approach from the Kanc...I've just heard (in passing from talking to other hikers) that this is a pretty boring hike...with NO views...This weekend is supposed to be really nice so really want to do something WITH views (bluebird days are rare :)). Is what I've heard about the approach from the Kanc true?

Maybe would be better to do something else...Twins or Galehead/Garfield...instead?

FWIW, it's a fairly short side trip downhill to the top of the North slide, great view from there.

And Middle peak's views, while not "knock your socks off," aren't too shabby.

But, if you're willing to do the ride to WV, the slides are definitely the way to do the Tri's, IMHO.

Last edited:
So...for the approach from the Kanc...I've just heard (in passing from talking to other hikers) that this is a pretty boring hike...with NO views...This weekend is supposed to be really nice so really want to do something WITH views (bluebird days are rare :)). Is what I've heard about the approach from the Kanc true?

I wouldn't call it boring exactly, but there aren't that many views either. There are a few decent lookouts going up Pine Bend Brook, and you can scoot over to the top of the north slide easily enough for fantastic views of WV. Middle Tri has good but not-360 views. Sabbaday is a beautiful trail, but the only views are of the brook/stream/river/falls, so it's best for a hazy or cloudy day.

IMHO you should go for the slides. The views and the challenge are well worth the trip. And take MadRiver up on his camping offer - he really is quite close to the trailhead :)