Trouble in Paradise - Belknap Range trailhead parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailwrightBratt

Reaction score
I am not sure where this should be posted so I am trying Here:

To all hikers that hike the E. Gilford trail area of the Belknap Range.
I have received a couple of e mails from two Land owners that lead to the parking area of Wood Road in Gilford.
Excerpts from two emails are below:

Hello Hal,

Hikers are parking their vehicles in front of our house on Wood Road, instead of driving to the parking area to access the trail to Round Pond. Yesterday, there were three cars doing this, despite only two cars parked in the lot, so there was plenty of room for them. Once one vehicle is parked there, the rest follow suit. These are probably people who have not used the area before. We think this is happening because people assume the trail starts where the pointed sign on the power pole reads "TRAIL". We have spoken to several people and this is their reaction. One guy yesterday was combative when we told him to go park in the lot. This is uncalled for. They apparently have no clue they are passing through private property with a right of way easement.
And the other:

I've not had a recently pleasant experience with hikers either. Somehow they think they own the land and don't understand it's easement access via privately owned land.
I just had my meeting w/ the State Conservation folks who monitor the Easement, and we discussed this and many other issues. Couple highlights...
The easement allows for parking for 5 cars, the rest are supposed to use the little overflow turn out on Bickford road. At times of late there have been upwards of 9 cars in the parking lot –even a bus. I advised the State that I was going to change the parking lot dynamics with trees and other defining objects to reduce the parking area to accommodate the 5 cars per the easement. They are obviously fine with that since it's stipulated in the easement.
We are going to address the after hours issues by putting up a sign; the after-dusk parking does not appear to be a hiker issue, it appears to be youths who drive up there after dark to park and drink.
There is a leash law in NH/Gilford, but it is rarely obeyed on the trails by hikers. They have gotten downright nasty with me when I explain it's private property and they need to keep the dog on a leash per the laws. So, we're going to address the issue via a more comprehensive Kiosk sign as you enter the trail from the parking area. The one now doesn't identify that the hikers are on private easement property.

As you can see there is a lack of respect for Landowners and this does not sit well with them. I certainly agree and it should stop. We are fortunate to have the access on their property and future incidents such as these do not help matters.
I hope this will help in the future. Lets all be more respectful of private land.
Hal Graham President Belknap Range Trail Tenders (BRATTS)

Thanks for posting Hal.

It's good for people to understand just how many trail miles and trailheads sit on private property. The owners and their property should be treated respectfully and they should be thanked for their generosity. Most people do the right thing but it only takes a couple confrontational issues to become a problem.

Thanks for posting this. As I hike, I greatly appreciate it when their is a sign indicating the easement so I know what to expect (and to be thankful!). I think the new kiosk idea is great. A lot of people are ignorant to many of these concerns, so making it harder to be ignorant is generally a good idea. :)

Unfortunately, the is par for the course for a small group of hikers. Sometimes appropriate signage may help but its amazing how someone who voluntarily wants to go for a hike will ignore many things to park 50 feet closer the trailhead. On rare occasions I have actually called folks out for parking inappropriately and at best I get some lame excuse that for some reason that the rules don't apply to them. A popular one is that the person was told by someone that the its okay to park because the owner doesn't mind or is not home.

Much as I appreciate the landowners who allow easements on their land for public use, I don't know if I would want to be one of them.

I'm amazed that landowners will go through this type of trouble and disrespect and still allow access. It sounds to me, Hal, that your and your organization have done an amazing job in partnering. Thank you.

Given the hiking traffic on any mountains, even a very small percentage of problem hikers would try the tolerance of adjacent landowners. Sounds like a sign stating that the parking area and trail are (insert distance) ahead instead of the existing 'trail' sign might solve some of this. Perhaps asking the town highway dept to post a sign that says 'trailhead parking ahead. Vehicles parked here will be towed' will get the attention of most.