Two Whiteface Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
This one's easy ... in getting to the reservoir trailhead from Keene, should we take 9N to 12 in Upper Jay to 86 in Wilmington to the Whiteface Mem. Hwy. or stay on 9N all the way to 86 in Jay and turn there? I can't tell because the ADK High Peaks map has 12 drawn as a dashed line.

Second question is about Esther ... is there anything special not listed in the book that we should know about taking the side trip over there? In particular, how to distinguish the unmarked path with the illegible sign from all the other old signs and former ski trail junctions that are mentioned? We'll be visiting Esther after we summit (for Tom & Laurie's wedding), so we'll have seen all the side paths already on our way up, if that helps.

Thanks!

Either way

is okay. I take the left turn in Upper Jay where 9N bends to the right. That must be what you refer to as County Rt. 12. The road is paved. Stay straight on this road until you reach 86 in Wilmington, turn left and go straight at the stop sign for the auto road. This is a little shorter than staying on 9N to 86 in Jay.

If anyone is interested, I plan to be at the ASRC about 10:30 or so and can take 3 or 4 people to the summit.

teejay

Route 12 is good. Turn left after the bridge next to the hotel in Upper Jay. The herdpath to Esther might be a little swampy in the col, other than that it is a normal adk herdpath. It was marked by a good size cairn shortly after an old Ski Patrol Cache (a couple of years ago).

I think there is a pretty big Cairn at the turnoff to Esther coming from the ASRC. Guinness and I did that trip earlier this winter. The side trip to Esther is not bad, it goes up over a couple of false summits but there is a plaque at the top so keep going til you see it. The plaque is starting to show signs of age now that it's a few years old, it can use some more cement. It was raining when Guinness and I did it so we didn't stay long either...

Jay

Pamola said:
I'll be popping over to Esther as well, MichaelJ. If you don't mind company, we'll fare it together.
You guys are going to have to hike fast if you plan to get to LPPB on time! :eek: :D :D :D

Too bad you can't spot a car where the herd path that goes down the other side in/near a stream bed hits the road! :D

MichaelJ said:
In particular, how to distinguish the unmarked path with the illegible sign from all the other old signs and former ski trail junctions that are mentioned? We'll be visiting Esther after we summit (for Tom & Laurie's wedding), so we'll have seen all the side paths already on our way up, if that helps.

The guidebook has mentioned these signs for years, but I didn't see any of them, let alone the "old illegible sign that points NW" at the Esther junction when I went through on two weekends in 2004 (once for Esther, then again for Whiteface after a thunderstorm turned us back the first time).

As others have mentioned, however, there's a fairly significant cairn at the Esther turnoff, and the unmarked trail itself is no problem to follow. The only concern I had when climbing Esther was navigating all the mud puddles! Waterproof boots and gaiters should be enough to neutralize this annoyance.

Hi MichaelJ
The entrance of the umarked trail to Esther is marked with a big cairn in the middle of the trail, you can hardly miss it.

Here is a picture of the cairn I took last month:
http://huiyengchang.com/hike/07adk_may/day5/album/slides/IMG_2112.html

The rest of the trail to the summit is very easy to follow, to quote a hiker we ran into that day: "...even Stevie Wonder can follow it" :D IMHO, Whiteface and Esther are the relatively easier hikes in ADK. The views on top of Whiteface is just awesome!

Have fun!

Last edited:
Esther herd-path cairn - another photo

Here is what that Esther herd-path boulder looks like with about a half-foot of fresh snow. I took this on Dec. 28, 2006, ascending from the weather station. I was new to the area and didn't have much by way of descriptions or a map, but found it to be unmistakeable.

Thanks again, everyone.

One quick other question ... is there water up there on the summit for a refill?

Water?

MichaelJ said:
Thanks again, everyone.
One quick other question ... is there water up there on the summit for a refill?
There's a friggin snackbar. Have a chilidog and ice cream!

beverly said:
There's a friggin snackbar. Have a chilidog and ice cream!
Yeah! There is bottled water! But I just refilled 2 liters in the bathroom.

BTW folks, there is a bathroom at the bottom of the stairs, but none at the summit, just something to keep in mind before heading up to the 2 hour ceremony! :eek: :D

Actually, we just went over it with the pastor last night. Summary:

Intro by the pastor
Song by my brother Bob, on the guitar - 'You raise me up, so I can stand on Mountains' by Selah
Pastor's message
Vows
Rings
Prayer

That's it! :D

And in the tradition of something old, something new, ... look for the 'Blue Beaner'! :D

Also, we just got a beautiful set of mugs from Kerry, celebrating our W46 Finish. I'll bring one with us to show it to y'all, and eventually post a picture of it. She's quite talented!

Okay, it sounds like the water sources are at the castle, not the summit, so I'll just carry all I need, no worries. Thanks!

Last edited:
MichaelJ said:
Okay, it sounds like the water sources are at the castle, not the summit, so I'll just carry all I need since I don't think the castle is in our hiking plans? Anyway, thanks!
When you get to the road, you can continue up the trail to the summit, or take the road, (slightly longer) to the castle, and then up the stairs to the summit. Or, you could even summit, take the elevator to the parking lot, walk a short way to the castle, get water, and return to the summit via the elevator for the descent. Either way, go get the water! :eek: :D

There will be other liquid refreshment at the summit, right Pamola? :D

You Betcha

The Summit Kiss IPA has been aging nicely in my cellar for about a month now and it's itching to be used. There will be 12 or so ice-cold bombers waiting for folks and the lucky couple at the top.

I did try one. You all will not be disappointed.

Pamola said:
The Summit Kiss IPA has been aging nicely in my cellar for about a month now and it's itching to be used. There will be 12 or so ice-cold bombers waiting for folks and the lucky couple at the top.

I did try one. You all will not be disappointed.
Aaaaaaaaawwwwwwesome! :D