Unsuccessful Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a very unsuccessful season. I swear not a single climb that I have attempted this winter has worked. From turning back b/c of a broken pack to impassable waist deep snow near Adams to winds that almost blew me off Lafayette the same Saturday that guy got lost up there to starting to drive up north on 2 consecutive weekends only to be stopped by some major snowstorms that would have forced me to drive from Boston at 15 MPH, I have not had a very successful winter. Yet I just keep going back. Luckly we have another month or more. Anyone want to share some moments of failure?

The simple fact is you can find fault with anything if you try hard enough.

I believe everybody has experienced some degree of failure in every hike. The part that I find interesting is when the day is done, and after the mind has an opportunity to relax and reflect, it's the good stuff that seems to stick around. Sure, there are lessons learned from the failures (hopefully) but the successes keep me coming back for more.

I could probably find my failure(s) on every hike, if I work hard enough at it. I prefer to take the lazy approach and remember the good stuff. It's more satisfying. It raises my sense of urgency to return. :)

Earl

Last edited:
Jkrew81 said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a very unsuccessful season. I swear not a single climb that I have attempted this winter has worked. From turning back b/c of a broken pack to impassable waist deep snow near Adams to winds that almost blew me off Lafayette the same Saturday that guy got lost up there to starting to drive up north on 2 consecutive weekends only to be stopped by some major snowstorms that would have forced me to drive from Boston at 15 MPH, I have not had a very successful winter. Yet I just keep going back. Luckly we have another month or more. Anyone want to share some moments of failure?

Broken pack? :eek: What you are kidding. Unless it exploded and sent your stuff sailing away into the ether you should have had the tools/knowledge/bailing wire/whatever to handle that. ;) Some of the other stuff I might have bailed on the plan but not the trip.

I have had trips that didn't work out exactly as planned but the goal was to always just get out and get some time outdoors. ALL OTHER GOALS WERE SECONDARY. Because of that. I can honestly say I have never had a bad day out in the woods. All "plans" were adjusted as necessary. ;)

Keith

no such thing!!!!

two weekends ago, hiking pass the ice climbers in the flume with 35-40ish pound, 3day 2ngt packs, breaking through the snow and ice almost falling into the river and trying to whack to the flume slide trail in 11/2 to 3 feet of snow and deeper drifts in the upper part of the flume. ha!

we soon decided the trip as planned wasn't gonna happen, especially cuz i assumed, wrongly, flume slide trail would not be broken out. we trekked back to the van and drove to the OBP/falling waters path to just do a smaller loop on the ridge assuming all those trails would e well packed out. well, my buddy who hadn't backpacked in years and brought along the kitchen sink was certainly not gonna make even the shorter plan.

we ended up just spending lots of time on the mtn, only summited little haystack and enjoyed sweeeeeet pototoe ravioli and some great brews at the woodstock inn.

we did very little as planned, but F it! we got to spend lots of time in the mountains, see a ton of snow (i forgot what its like) and had a great time together.

some might consider this unsuccessful, but we were just happy to be out there, can you dig it?!

I have had an unsuccessful winter hiking season because my knees will not permit me to hike at this time. I will confess to living vicariously through all the trip reports here, while at the same time cursing under my breath from jealousy ;)

Likewise, I have been unable to put in my usual 4-hour marathon XC days. It's not a good condition when it comes to maintaining one's figure :(

On the plus side, I have been able to tolerate some short ski sessions, and I've been doing a little snowshoeing around Andover (MA) during lunch. Yesterday I found 3 spots where 4-5 deer had been bedding, including fresh tracks. No animals were seen, however.

Tim

it wasn't meant to be : ) remember there is always a reason something doesn't happen. someone was watching out for you : )
kmac

A bad day outdoors beats most good days indoors!

Enjoy your time in the mountains and make the most of it.

Some of the best stories come from dealing with adversity.

bikehikeskifish said:
I have had an unsuccessful winter hiking season because my knees will not permit me to hike at this time. I will confess to living vicariously through all the trip reports here, while at the same time cursing under my breath from jealousy ;)
Tim
I'm with you on this one Tim. I am finally back to doing 1 hr walks on mostly flat trails. It has been 15 months since the "accident" and I have been through numerous relapses. I reinjured myself several times just trying to do too much. Last week my vet referred to my dog as a"walking museum of orthopedic deformities". My only consolation is that Bernie and I have something really big in common and poor Kodi has to put up with two of us.
I guess you could say that my hiking has been most "unsuccessful" this year but I love all the trip reports and the pics. They help keep my spirits up and I look forward to more adventures in...I HOPE... the not too distant future. Things can always be worse so I count my blessings each time I take my one hour hike with my "walking museum". He helps me to keep everything in perspective because no matter what, Bernie is always in a state of total bliss.

I have been there as well, but chose to push on. I've done some hikes when it was probably too bad for most people, and risked it, but it's when I feel the most alive. Those are also the ones I've remembered fondly and mean the most to me.

I've also driven home, via the deep south (Portsmouth) at 20 mph in a snowstorm in a friends car with bad tires (so it took twice as long, almost 7 hours), but I see the events differently. To me they're learning points, something to correct and not have happen again. Eventually everything goes smoothly, but in any case it's a good time, just not as I'd planned.

Only you can make the most of the moment, other's cannot make it for you no matter how hard they try.

The only unsuccessful season I've had is the winter my ankle broke ('99). Six weeks of an hour a day on a stationary bike :eek: prevented me from going completely insane.

Oddly, I ultimately had a very good running year, so perhaps there's a silver lining in YOUR "dark cloud" too! :eek:

Jkrew81-- cheer up! As you say, there is still about three weeks left of calendar winter, and much more time to play in the snow.

I'm trying to recall what I would consider any hiking failures this winter, and ya know what? Since I hiked pretty much goal-less all winter, I feel wildly successful! :p

We sure can't control the externalities; be it bad weather or bad gear, but we can adjust our 'tudes to make the most of it. Lemme see....you do sound like you've had a bunch of bummers this winter, but there's gotta be something good from all that!?

{{{{{{{{{ :p }}}}}}}}}}}

Cheer up is right!
There is plenty of snow left - the worst snow I have hiked in seems to be in October and May - so you have plenty of chances...
I have never had a bad season, but I have had plenty of planned hikes that have not gone the way I intended...some of the lowlights...

1- slipping during a break and hitting my head on a rock - the great cocoa incident
2 - being very stubborn and driving three hours up to Gorham to the Carter Moriah trailhead to meet LarryD, MEB and LittleSister knowing full well that my intestinal bug would not allow me to hike on a day as cold as this...did not want them to wait endlessly for me so I drove up to tell them I was not hiking...that was pretty dumb.
3 - I believe the day finally did the Castle Trail (one I had been dying to do) was actually the 4th time I had planned it - all the others have been on days with too much rain in the forecast.
4 - Ankle sprain # 1 - Waumbek - April 2005 - not smart enough to know about traction aids...
5- Ankle sprain # 2 - Crawford - February 2007 - not smart enough to take the tails of my MSRs on descent - at least I have matching ankles again. :D

All in all, I have had my share of altered plans, aborted attempts, injuries and total failures. But, my next hike will be my 80th since I got back into this in late 2004 and I get where I want to go over 90 % of the time - but I really do not care - because the real goal is getting out in the mountains. It is all good! :)

Seemed like a pefectly good, if late starting, winter to me until a snow snake bit my ski and sent me to the hospital. And snow conditions appear to have only gotten better since then.

Doug

"Sometimes your the windshield...sometimes your the bug"

Sure I've missed a season or parts thereof, usually from various injuries, colds, poor timing etc etc...

yesterday

Yesterday I climbed the Jewell and across to Jefferson. Forgot ski mask, had no sunglasses and had to use my felt head windbreaker to protect my eyes. Made for limited vision, but great trip. Hopefully I can keep my setbacks on that level.
Sometimes I have gotten 20 feet up a trail and turned back. That's not a failure. That's listening to your body.

I feel your pain

Cut jkrew some slack - I know where he is coming from. I know he isn't a list peak bagger and enjoy's above treeline hikes and climbs. - Here is a shocker - some people actually go to the mountains to get out of the woods and if you can't do that - maybe it feels like a wasted weekend. nothing wrong with hiking cabot, but if your planning to climb a gully or get in the alpine zone and the weather or whatever keeps from not doing that - its a huge buzzkill. List baggers hit sheltered peaks on bad weekends and that works for them b/c it helps them get their patch, scroll, 12 pack whatever is given - it don't work for others.

don't get me wrong here, nothing wrong with list bagging or forest hikes, its juts some folks don't like to do that all the time.

Jkrew - I hear you loud and clear. It seems everyweekend I have planned things, it was 100mph winds, rain, or high avy danger - this weekend included. And it seems the 2 big snows (that are great overall), just came at the wrong time for me and I don't like driving 160 miles to walk around the woods either.

There is always beer, drugs and rock n roll..................

Last edited:
..or ice cream. I enjoy many different pursuits, and I don't mind the short hike out my backdoor into the woods. I generally have the opportunity to go out and enjoy the outdoors everyday of the year, either by biking to work, or my longer weekend trips in the woods, on the snow, or in the water. Many of my trips are not to far away places, sometimes, a 2 hour hike after work outside my backdoor or perhaps a longer bike to work (take the long way home). In this way, I'm not really laying on the line everything. Nothing has a schedule to me past 2-3 weeks, no way I know what I will feel like doing a month from now. Maybe that makes achieving my goals easier? Possibly, but perhaps it is nicer this way to go with the flow. If it snows, go skiing, if it rains, go hiking, if not, maybe a nice mtn bike ride or a road bike on a railtrail. I'll plan certain events a few weeks in advance, but most things, I play by ear and how I feel.

Enjoy the woods!
Jay

Jay said:
Enjoy the woods!
Jay

of course, I just do that 2 miles from home rather than 160!! I love making love to the woods as much as the next guy :eek: :D :eek: :D

in fact, with 50 degrees down here tommorow, I might just do that.