Using ski trails.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furry

Reaction score
Here's a question I think I already know the answer to, but want to confirm: When completing the various "lists," can a ski trail be used as a hiking route to bag a peak? What if you climb up and ski down - would the peak still "count?"

Thanks!

If skiing down didn't count, I would think buttsliding down wouldn't count, either! :D

And if that is the rule, I quit all lists!

Skiing down is just fine, as long as you carried your skis up with you. As far as I know there's nothing in the rules specifically about using ski trails to descend, but since people have been doing it for years without a comment from the committee, I doubt there's a concern.

-dave-

skiing up or down counts, biking and sledding do not, but skiing does. Also I cannot see whay you couldn't use a ski trial, you are still hiking, why should it have to be on a recognized trail, as bushwahcking or walking on the autorad are also permitted, any way you walk/ski/snowshoe up counts

If not I need tecumseh again, as I hiked down the ski trail in summer(highly reccomended-great views) and I hiked up, skiid down last weekend

David Metsky said:
Exactly. If you carry it up, using it to slide down sounds fine with me.

-dave-
I guess that means you can't use your partner for a sled unless of course you carry him/her up.

From the 4000 footer Q&A

Q. What are the rules for climbing 4000 footers?

A. The basic rule is very simple: You must climb (on foot!) to and from the summit of each peak on the list. In winter skis and snowshoes are both allowed.

jmegillon149 said:
walking on the autorad are also permitted, any way you walk/ski/snowshoe up counts...

If you're referring to the Mt Washington Auto Road, IIRC walking up/down that road is a no/no if you wish to play by the rules.

Otherwise, generally speaking, if you get up the hill on your own steam without mechanical advantage, you can hike, walk, run, slide, or ski down and still 'count' it.

Kevin Rooney said:
If you're referring to the Mt Washington Auto Road, IIRC walking up/down that road is a no/no if you wish to play by the rules.

Otherwise, generally speaking, if you get up the hill on your own steam without mechanical advantage, you can hike, walk, run, slide, or ski down and still 'count' it.

really? I wonder why, keep in mind I am not talking about being in a vehicle, but walking the entire road, I know its actually not unheard of for nighttime descents, never done it myself, but was under the impression it was ok, as long as you are walking.

Here is the FAQ page from the official website,

http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#rules1

Its kind of vague about whether or not hiking the whole road is allowed or not.

"Drive to the trailhead then walk (note that you are not allowed to use the auto roads on Mts Washington, Mansfield and Equinox). "

While this is ambiguous (just like the mtn bike rules :) I'm sure this means you can't drive the auto roads, not that you can't walk them.

RoySwkr said:
"Drive to the trailhead then walk (note that you are not allowed to use the auto roads on Mts Washington, Mansfield and Equinox). "

While this is ambiguous (just like the mtn bike rules :) I'm sure this means you can't drive the auto roads, not that you can't walk them.

I agree.
It's stating that the upper lot isn't a trailhead, for people who might think hiking up the stairs and over to the summit equates hiking Mt. Washington.