Vasque Breeze GTX - Comments?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaddock

Reaction score
So the search for new boots has started. I finally wore out my Montrail Torre GTX's and my physiotherapist said I needed something with more arch support.

I tried on pairs today and like the Vasque Breeze's but was wondering if they were stiff enough for ADK like terrain. Thought the mesh might break down after a lot of trail use too. Anybody have these and can comment?

The other boots I tried on and fit me ok were the Dunham Waffle Stomper Premiums (full leather upper).

I have a hard time buying boots, my foot is fairly narrow and it's a size 13.

Kindest regards,
Shayne

Good luck. I need extra arch support also, but it seems most boots are designed for neutral feet, and you have to add your own supports. If you find a boot with arch support, let me know. :)

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but oddly enough my Montrail Torre GTX just died this past weekend, and I too was looking at Breeze XCRs. I don't need arch support, but I do have wide feet (and both boots are offered wide sizes). I killed the Torres in less than 400 miles :mad:. Does anyone have any comments on the durability of the Vasques?

I have a pair of the Vasque trail/approach shoes and they've held up pretty well, but they've never seen use outside of daily walking.

I am currently planning on buying two new pairs of boots, one light dayhikers, and one full grain leather backpacking boots for longer trips and winter hiking.

I bought the Vasque Breeze's and right after I found a sweet mail order deal and bought another pair of Torre GTX's. I still prefer the Torres for ADK terrain and I wear them all winter too up to about -22C.

I bring both sets with me when I go. Nice to have a dry pair for back to back days. The Vasque's have been good on moderate terrain, I really haven't put them to the big test though.

-Shayne

I bought a pair and got a good deal from EMS I think. I've had them for sevearl months now. I have been very satisfied with them so far. Almost no break in time and I find them very comfortable. I have never owned boots with Goretex so these are a first for me. I love the Vibrum soles. They seem to grip very good on wet rock which is a tremendous improvement over my previous boots.

Keith

I depend on my insoles, not on my boots, for arch support. In fact, a boot with built in arch support won't allow me to use my insoles. The latest favorites are Spenco's which fit my high arches well and have soft foam which is easy on my Morton's neuroma.

I have the non-gore-tex version of the Breeze, and use them instead of trail running shoes if I am carrying a big pack of cameras. I normally "live" in Vasque Velocity trail running shoes, and supposedly this boot borrows quite a bit from that design. Great boot, especially when paired with a pair of "Sole" heat-moldable insoles!

I'm wearing a pair of them right now! Got them from EMS; the guy there said they were good for folks w/ narrow feet. I wear my orthotics with them & they helped me finish my NH4K's (incl the Bonds & Isolation) last year.

They seem pretty good & durable, although the soles have started to separate from the shoe in the back.

I also have a pair of North Face boots, I forget the variety but they are very comfortable as well. My feet/ankles are messed up (flat feet + other stuff) & I've found it almost impossible to find good regular shoes (Rockport has one that's passable), so lately I've been wearing my hiking boots most places, as they seem to have better structural support.

arghman said:
They seem pretty good & durable, although the soles have started to separate from the shoe in the back..

I have been hiking in the Breeze XCR for over a year now. Got them at EMS. Was very pleased with the comfort and no break in time. Have never had a problem with blistering or foot discomfort at any distance. Was not so thrilled with the vibram soles. I found them extremely slippery compare to other boots I have owned and used. Any wetness, even high humidity conditions are treacherous. I would never use them without my poles.

As arghman points out the soles will likely begin to deliminate after just a few hikes. I have raised this issue with many folks on the trail who were raving out their Vasques. When we checked out their boots, just about every sole was separating. Now the toes on my boots are beginning to separate also. I have used shoe goo to reattach the heels but this is separating also. I have never had this problem before with any boots I have owned and for $140 I paid for the boots, I must say I am disappointed.

kerry13 said:
I have been hiking in the Breeze XCR for over a year now. Got them at EMS. Was very pleased with the comfort and no break in time. Have never had a problem with blistering or foot discomfort at any distance. Was not so thrilled with the vibram soles. I found them extremely slippery compare to other boots I have owned and used. Any wetness, even high humidity conditions are treacherous. I would never use them without my poles.

As arghman points out the soles will likely begin to deliminate after just a few hikes. I have raised this issue with many folks on the trail who were raving out their Vasques. When we checked out their boots, just about every sole was separating. Now the toes on my boots are beginning to separate also. I have used shoe goo to reattach the heels but this is separating also. I have never had this problem before with any boots I have owned and for $140 I paid for the boots, I must say I am disappointed.

Same here. Supposedly waterproof too, but the slightest humidity soaks right through. Soles coming off and slippery as hell on everything. Won't buy any of their boots again, that's for sure.

Kevin

kerry13 said:
Was not so thrilled with the vibram soles. I found them extremely slippery compare to other boots I have owned and used. Any wetness, even high humidity conditions are treacherous.
I also had this exact problem with the Vibram soles on my first pair of Montrail Torres...to the point of almost taking them back the first week. I couldn't believe how slippery they were. Damp rocks were bad enough, but brook crossings were absolutly hair-raising. They did get better over time, and I did get another pair after 3 years. The second pair looked like they had the same soles but were much less slippery.

Dave

I've had a similar experience with my pair. They are about the lightest, most comfortable shoes I've used but the problems are starting to outweigh the good points. I've noticed that the soles tend to slip a lot, they aren't very waterproof and the soles are slightly pealing away. Every pair I've seen with some use is delaminating although it is usually just in the very back. This started after only a couple trips for me but hasn't progressed any further though. They have still been a decent pair of boots but I wouldn't buy them again especially considering what they cost.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. With how hard I am on mid-weight boots I have a feeling I would destroy these light-weight boots in a matter of weeks. I just made an order to campmor for 4 pairs of mid/heavy weight boots. Hopefully one of them will fit my feet :(

I realize this is an old thread, but I can't help my vent my 2 cents. I bought a pair of the Vasque Breeze a few months ago and was initially very happy given their comfort and light weight. My happiness quickly diminished while walking in damp grass recently. So much for the highly advanced XCR Gortex guaranteed waterproofness; they are completely soaked through to my socks in 15 minutes. I have tennis sneakers that are more waterproof. I honestly thought/think there must be a manufacturing defect in my pair, but reading the other posts makes me wonder.

On a side note, I foolishly bought them at a local hiking store in northern NH instead of my usual EMS or REI. Customer service is dismal - they can mail them to Vasque for me and have a ruling in 4-6 weeks. Had to return a pair of boots to EMS a couple years ago and they do it a little differently - bring in the boots, tell them the problem, and they swap them for another pair.