Vermont Governor Chased by Bears!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Shumlin said Friday he still puts the feeders out in the morning for the birds, but vowed to always take the feeders indoors in the evening."

Perhaps this fool would like to see the photos from my former neighbor showing a sow running off with a feeder in broad daylight from the neighbor's yard, while her three cubs watched and learned a very bad lesson. Ugh. :mad:

A few years back a resident of Shelburne NH would repeatedly call fish and game rgarding bears in his backyard. The local fish and game officer would go visit and tell his to take down his bird feeders as they were attracting the bears. The resident wouldnt take down his feeders. His grandchildren apparently were coming to visit and the bears were still around as the feeders were still up. The individual shot the bear and claimed he had to as he was worried that the bear would hamr his grandchildren. He was cited and fined for taking a bear out of season.

One of my neighbors in my development used to feed his dog in the garage and leave the door partially open to let the dog in. The bears apparently were also visiting. One night they closed the garage door and got woken up when a bear clawed a hole through the door.

It may be an amusing article but its setting a poor example how to habituate a wild animal and most likely get it set up for an early death by a bullet. Do note that I have read many studies that trapping and relocation rarely works as where they are dumped have a resident bear population which will most likely drive the new bear out. Apparently the trapping is mostly done as a way of political corrrectness.

I do have some issues with bears in my raspberrie patch but a 21 mile rated electric fencer seems to do the trick.

"Shumlin said Friday he still puts the feeders out in the morning for the birds, but vowed to always take the feeders indoors in the evening."

Perhaps this fool would like to see the photos from my former neighbor showing a sow running off with a feeder in broad daylight from the neighbor's yard, while her three cubs watched and learned a very bad lesson. Ugh. :mad:

Do you still have access to the pic? You should mail it to him, not that it would do much good.
I have good friends that leave their feeders and I have had this discussion with them time and again. It falls on deaf ears.
The bears are habituated and keep showing up. I fear one day there will be a serious problem. The feeders are very close to their grill and deck and it appears that the visits are getting more frequent. :mad:

I agree that this story is funny/sad.

Funny just imagining a man being chased across his yard in the buff. :p

Sad that as a well known public official he is obviously not aware of (or compliant with) basic rules of what to do in bear country. :(

It's true about relocation not really working well..quite a few years ago I had the opportunity to assist in live trapping a huge boar (in a culvert that used to be in the Pemi wilderness!)(kidding) that was a major problem on the East side of Berlin NH..he was ear tagged and transported to the great wilderness of Pittsburg NH, of course after he had attempted to break the grates of the trap on both sides to attack the people trying to load him onto the F&G trailer...two weeks later he was on the East side of Berlin again raising havoc and again trapped to be never heard of again...similar to the moose who was ear tagged in the Milan Hill State Park area then was hit by a TT unit up near Bangor Maine on I95..wildlife does move more than we may know.....Lefty E PS real VT boys do not wear pjs course VT was part of NH at one time...

A friend of mine who lives NJ, keeps a rathe large feeder on her back deck. After coming home one afternoon, she found her poor beagle bleeding with slash marks from a bear paw swipe. Thankfully, the dog lived, and she learned a valuable lesson. The feeder is no longer on her back deck.

Apparently there is an some type of epidemic of late involving wildlife attacking state officials:

“Wait until you get attacked by a turkey, you will know the fear that a turkey can evoke in a person,” said Shortey, R-Oklahoma City. “So I beat it with a club. That’s all I could do. I wish that I had a gun with me.

Ralph Shortey was attacked by a Turkey

No word if the clubbing was done in the nude.

We (well, not me, I live near the beach) get bears in the foothills regularly that come into people's backyards, jump in their hot tubs and pools and nibble on whatever they can find. Just the other day F&G or whatever they call them here shot one with a dart and hauled it back to the wild. One was killed last year, if I remember right and the neighbors were very upset about that.

Maybe the governor could organize a "Running of the Bears" like they do with bulls in Spain. That would be a sure way to attract the tourists.

If I had just woken up from a 6 month nap and was trying to get a snack and a guy tried to chase me away, I'd give him hell too! I'm with the bears on this one. :D

Perhaps the animals have finally had it with us...[/QUOTE] Penguins are known for their cognitive powers and polar love.Maybe that penguin took issue with Newt's position on global warming?[note;not a socio economic comment, just a reflection on bird behavior]:D

Last edited:
<moderator hat>
A friendly reminder about political posts is warranted... so far it is in ha-ha territory. Let's not let it get out of hand. (If you have to include the disclaimer about not being political, you are acknowledging that it may be interpreted as such.)

Thanks,
Tim
</moderator hat>

I have fond memories of feeding birds here year round. Thats all they are now -- fond memories.

We've been in the same house 23 years. 10 years ago we were targeted by the neighborhood Ursus Minor Trip Advisor as #1 or #2 in the neighborhood for good eats. We know that one very healthy sow has had twins x3 and trips x 2.... and all her kids living in the area have us in a red light zone. Good neighborhood for her........ LOLOL.

That restaurant closed, quite hastily. Black bear may be close neighbors, which is one reason I like living where I do.....but far be it from me to offer them a McD's Menu of sunflower hearts, safflower, thistle and that amazing suet with dried fruits, nuts and seeds.

The native blueberries, cranberries, and the blackberries, raspberries, the fallen apples, acorns and beechnuts...... I'll share.

But I'll be flogged before I'll buy bear bait.

Breeze

Speaking of triplets...

Bears.jpg

and no, the feeder has not hung on the pole for years now (and the pole is now gone too...)

Tim

A few years back a resident of Shelburne NH would repeatedly call fish and game rgarding bears in his backyard. The local fish and game officer would go visit and tell his to take down his bird feeders as they were attracting the bears. The resident wouldnt take down his feeders. His grandchildren apparently were coming to visit and the bears were still around as the feeders were still up. The individual shot the bear and claimed he had to as he was worried that the bear would hamr his grandchildren. He was cited and fined for taking a bear out of season. .
I met a dude two years ago that had a very similar story,except that his version was that the bear was into the household garbage with a vengeance and the homeowner had asked for help from fish/game but was rebuffed.The episode had happened in the Gorham area.Maybe same story ,different versions?:confused: