Water shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinhawk

Reaction score
Any reccommendations for water shoes? Good grip on slippery rocks, lightweight, and cheap.

Do Tevas give you good stability in a moving stream? I've got "slip-aphobia".

I love my solomon tech amphibian water shoes. I've even hiked several miles in them (over wilderness, thoreau falls and ethan pond trail). Get some dirt in? Stick foot in stream and dirt gets washed off. Also works GREAT on slippery slimey dock (essential when carrying one's $5000 rowing boat balanced on one's head).

Bought a pair of these for a canoeing weekend. Very comfy, converts into a clog, has lots of holes in it so water doesn't accumulate and very cheap (30$ CDN).

http://www.comfortableshoes.com/item_preview.cfm?ID=1719

Edit: I also portaged a bit with those and they were fine (except for that one portage where a rock came in my shoe...)

Last edited:
skinhawk said:

Like anything, you need to take your time. I find if you have one planted and are using trekking poles they hold quite well. I certainly would not stroll across at a normal hiking pace!

skinhawk said:

Have used Tevas for many years around water wether hiking or kayaking.

Check out the Teva Website - they also sell water shoes, trail runnning shoes and much more. www.teva.com

For a Sandal you might look at either the Universal Buckle, Terra Fi, or Guide Pro.

Last edited:
I bought the North Face Sieve on sale for $30-something recently at EMS (last year's color, I guess). I haven't really used them yet but just today immersed them, pulled out the liners, and put them in the sun to dry. In full sun they dried in about 2 hours. They seem fairly rugged but light and will double well as camp shoes.

"Keen" makes some very good sandals that can be used in the water & grip fairly well. In the $75-$100 range @ EMS & a little cheaper @ Kittery Trading Post in Maine.

A second vote for the KEENE water sandals. I use them kayaking and they feel great and work great too.

water shoes

Bought a pair of Tevas look alikes at Walmart for 7 bucks and they seem fine. What the hay, probably made by the same factory in China.

Yeah I live in my $8 WM sandals all summer. I bring 'em for fords and the like. I really think a lot of brand name stuff is a rip. But of course the WM stuff rips off the kids in China who make it...(angst).

hockeycrew said:
I love my solomon tech amphibian water shoes.

I second the Tech Amphibians. You can find them for about $50, they're comfortable, and convertable from shoe to slip-on. Drainage holes and mesh protect, ventilate, and quicken the drying process. I've only had mine for about a month, but so far they're great.

3.jpg

Thirding Crocs. I've been lusting after them ;) since a friend showed me his Waldies (same concept).

I just got mine so I haven't really trail tested them yet. But, they've made good boat shoes! Plenty of grip.

My issue with Tevas is the drying time. If you stream cross in the afternoon, Tevas are still wet at camp at night. Grrrrrr. I like to put on my clean next day socks to keep warm. I certainly don't want them wicking water off the sandal straps. I know, picky, picky, picky....

Plus, Crocs weigh and cost less than most other options and fit my wide feet.