Ways to Hike the 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do it and stay at campgrounds/tentsites most of the time:

Going from north you can stay at Jefferson Highland/Dolly Copp/Carter Notch/Pinkham Notch/Mizpah Spring/Ethan Pond/Sawyer Pond/Osceola Vista/ Guyot/Garfield/13 Falls/Lafayette Place. Some nights you need to stay in the wilderness but it's good to try to maximize the nights at established sites.

If you are trying to lose weight - it's probably one of the better programs out there for it ;) Especially if you carry everything from the start ;)

Mats actually did this hike with by brain wrapped in a paper towel and tucked in his pack. The rest of my body was frozen in ice at the trailhead for nearly 10 days.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Mats, you rock. Thank you. You just did Step One for me. I guess I have to take over at some point... o:

Dr_Wu, if you're not careful, I'm going to make you come do this with me. It'll be easy: I ride in the shopping cart, and you push.

Giggy had an interesting variation on "doing" the NH48:

2390349550088437879S425x425Q85.jpg

-Dr. Wu

just havin some fun here - I think we called it - feckin the 48 - I still haven't finished the 48 - maybe this year, then I can be in the kool club...

All 48 while you are 48 seems like an interesting way to do them.

(I just turned 47 so I have almost a year to plan for this)

The NH48-SEX list. Sex on each of the 4,000 foot peaks.

I've been considering this list for some time. Mrs. McRat assures me it will be even more challenging than originally planned. Apparently, it will be a solo attempt.

You know, between Bob and Geri's new plan for a thanksgiving dinner grid, and the Fool's Scout Ball (which i will attend in my former (and useless) wedding gown someday...) I have a new suggestion.

How about a full, Soup to Nuts, Thanksgiving Dinner on each or the summits?!

LenDawg, are you out there?

On one of my first VFTT hikes MEB brought a wonderful homebaked apple pie.

How about turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, boiled onions, fresh green beans, home made rolls, real butter, french onion soup to start and a cheese plate to finish, on every one of the 48? Oh, and your choice of dessert of course. I always choose Kevin's chocolate cheesecake.

Did I forget anything? My family tradition is also Waldorf Salad, but I steer clear of that.

Of course, this would have to be served in style, no sandwich substitute.

Real plates, tablecloth, real flatware and glasses. Table is optional. Has to be warm and yummy.

Hum... I am liking this idea more and more...

;)

There was some discussion at the last Lakes region VftT get together we discussed having a "Whiffle Ball baseball game on top of Mooselauke. If all goes well we might put togther a NHW-48 list. Then of course we will need a Whiffle League. Get in soon for the best price on caps, jerseys, and bobbleheads.

There was some discussion at the last Lakes region VftT get together we discussed having a "Whiffle Ball baseball game on top of Mooselauke. If all goes well we might put togther a NHW-48 list.

Depending on the winds you could easily bunt a home run or find it impossible to hit anything but a foul ball "into the backstop". :)

Depending on the winds you could easily bunt a home run or find it impossible to hit anything but a foul ball "into the backstop".

I've never used the wind as an excuse for that before...

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about the NH48-Snog...

I dislike when people respond without having read the entire thread...but I haven't read the entire thread...so...:eek:

I'd like to overnight as close to the summit as is allowed. Spending some more time on the summit at sunset, midnight and dawn.