Weekend With the Wife - No Kids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
Ok. Last weekend was the annual June backpack with my brother in law.

See Whiteface / Tripyramid June 19 - 20, 2009 under Trip Reports

A last minute cancellation has presented an opportunity for my wife and I to go on our first backpacking weekend trip. In Friday afternoon out Sunday morning early. She is in good shape, but never done it.

Where do you go to make it enjoyable?

If it's really her first time backpacking, you may want to consider spending only 1-night out. If she's adventurous and/or enjoys hiking, then 2's probably fine.

For a 2-nighter, you could start @ Lincoln Woods and tent at 13 Falls on N1 (an easy but long 9-mile walk) and Guyot Shelter/Tent Site on N2 and make one huge loop, but expect some company (or a lot of company). The weather's gotta be good for this one though.

I second 13 falls and Guyot/Bonds. 13 falls is a backcountry water park and the Bonds are not to be missed. Have fun.

13 Falls is worth a long day trip, especially with recent rains. It's really an awful lot of fun. The only hitch is the first thing I ever learned about black flies: "They like to breed in fast-moving, clear mountain streams." That would define 13 Falls. Bring headnets, etc.

Rainman19, I'd make sure your wife's OK with doing things like schlepping an overnight backpack up from there to South Twin, though. That kind of climb almost finished my Dad off 10 years ago on a family weekend... sustained climbing with weight is a bit of a wake-up call if you aren't used to backpacking. Fortunately we still hike together, and he is now in better shape than me.

Weatherman

This place has been on my list for a long-time. It is worthy of a long-day trip? Or should it really be enjoyed overnight?
You can do it as a long day trip, but you will not want to leave especially if it is a hot day, so plan on an overnight. After dinner sipping wine or your adult beverage of choice while sitting in a shallow pool while watching the sun set is a must.

Last edited:
Sorry to high-jack the thread a little bit =)

In other news, there's a new book by the AMC called something like Best Backpacking in New England. It's full of great 2-3 day options.

How do you feel about 2 nights in the same place? Covers less ground, but gives you (and your wife) a the opportunity to carry less weight on the middle day.

Stay at Osgood, hike up Madison and Adams.

Stay at the Perch, hit them from the other side.

I agree with the previous options (the Perch is beautiful high ground). Also mentioned earlier is Imp Shelter, which provides a nice hub for many possible spokes. And if there are views this time, the Carters are good for that. Same is true for Garfield Shelter and Hermit Lake.

Hiking with Wife

I would recommend Adams (& maybe Madison & Jefferson) from Lowe's store on route 2. Lowe's allows parking for a very small nightly fee.
Go up Lowe's path & stay at Grey Knob cabin on Friday afternoon (about 2-4 hours climb). On Saturday, attempt Adams, Madison & Jefferson, depending on endurance, weather, food supply, etc.
Stay at Crag Camp, descend Sunday to Appalachia, hitch back to Lowe's store.

I've done all components of this hike, but never altogether.:)

With the weather that we have been having, I would opt for something out West. The Desolation Wilderness above Lake Tahoe is nice.

Desolation Wilderness... perfect. My wife and I hiked a nice 3 day loop in there back when we were dating, on her second backpacking trip ever. Even with an extra unplanned night out due to stream crossing and routefinding issues (trail junction buried under feet of snow), she still loved it.

The drive out and back from New England is a bit long, though. :)

Weatherman