What breed of dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about...

I don't know a lot (anything) about breeds but last year we acquired a rescue dog that is pure mutt and a great hiking companion. The best we can tell is that she is part collie and part shepherd and part other stuff. She is well behaved and listens most of the time. This past spring we were coming down Mt. Ascutney at dusk when I noticed her sniffing a stump which turned out to be a porcupine. She came over to me the minute I called, which I was grateful for.

I would encourage anyone to at least consider going to an animal rescue and see what might be available that would fit in with the family. Also you might consider fostering some dogs to see what types work for you. Although, a word of caution, we've had some great foster dogs and we've had some scary ones.

My dog Virga fits your qualifications, but you can't have her...

We got Virga, a lab/beagle/hound/border collie/x mutt at a shelter and we immediately knew it was the dog for us. Small (a compact 40pounds), athletic, and affectionate (and short haired). She showed all these qualities right away. We went for an adult, and she was 3 when we got her. If it's cold, she wears a coat, but nothing warmer than 10F seems to bother her.

I honestly think that any dog that you meet at a shelter that looks athletic and is happy outside when you meet it will be able to hike with you. Dogs like the outdoors, so I'd simply shelter shop until you find a dog that you bond with outside, and it's your dog!

Don't mean to oversimplify the process, but you'll know him or her when you meet!

Originally Posed by Paradox
My labs climb up into my lap all the time. I have females and keep them light about 60 lbs. IMHO they are the ideal hiking/peakbagging dog.

DrJJFate: "Perhaps it is time to approach Tom about cloning Atticus. . ." i have to agree you should PM Tom & Atticus (actually Tom, Atticus never returns PM's )

I agree, however, Atticus does take great photos.

Last edited:
w7xman said:
I honestly think that any dog that you meet at a shelter that looks athletic and is happy outside when you meet it will be able to hike with you. Dogs like the outdoors, so I'd simply shelter shop until you find a dog that you bond with outside, and it's your dog!

Don't mean to oversimplify the process, but you'll know him or her when you meet!
I agree. I've had 3 dogs over 47 years and they were all pound puppies. Actually the 2nd one came out of a street pack in New Haven, but he would have wound up in the pound.
WARNING: It's not easy passing by dozens of dogs to find the "right" one. They tend to put the "hard to place" dogs out front. Also, if you are set on a breed 1) there are breed specific rescue groups and 2) pounds in or near more affluent communities get more purebreds. Yuppie Scum buy on a whim and then abandon :mad: .

I saw a Shiba Inu once on the trail and thought it was the neatest dog I ever saw. Reminded me of a small Akita. Our first dog (pound puppy - half shepard and half lab cross) died several years ago and we are starting to look again. I love border collies but worry about how much run time they need. My wife and I both love labs as well. We are still mulling it over.

This is a good thread. I would like my next dog to be able to camp with me when I go.

Keith

Go to Puerto Rico - get a sato. Some people I know have a small sato -- this dog has some chihuahua mixed in and it is small, incredibly hearty and fit and wicked smart -- more intelligent than your average human. Good hiking dog.

http://www.saveasato.org/

-Dr. Wu

SAR-EMT40 said:
I saw a Shiba Inu once on the trail and thought it was the neatest dog I ever saw. Reminded me of a small Akita. Our first dog (pound puppy - half shepard and half lab cross) died several years ago and we are starting to look again. I love border collies but worry about how much run time they need. My wife and I both love labs as well. We are still mulling it over.

This is a good thread. I would like my next dog to be able to camp with me when I go.

Keith

Had a Shiba once, its in the Akita family. Bad hiking dog- at least mine. It has that hunting instinct which is what they were bred for and she'd run at the drop of a hat after anything or we'd have to battle to control her.

I'd caution against any of the long backed/short legged breeds if you want a miniature -- eg, the Cavalier King Chas Spaniel or Corgi. I'm just thinking that the miniatures are already working harder on the jump ups and through deep snow cover because of their small size and adding a long back/short leg combo to that equation seems to me to be alot of stress on spine & joints. From the sounds of your criteria I'm assuming you are looking for an easy keeper and not a dog who may require surgery/rehab -- hiking injuries rank pretty high in certain breeds -- due to thier body structure. Any size dog with a straight rear or a small breed not built for work would be a red flag for me (given the distances I like to hike).

Temperment on Terriers (Jack Russell, Welsh, etc) and the Corgi will likely require alot of management. Prey drive on the Terrier breeds and Herding Instinct in the Corgi, specifically. I personally find that the miniatures with the tough attitudes are tougher to manage than a medium sized or large breed, because its harder to get your hands on a small dog or body block if you need to -- they just skirt around you or go between your legs -- little dogs are great evaders -- and they know this.

Have you considered volunteering some time at a local shelter as a dog walker? Perhaps this is a good way for you to "try on" some of the small dogs there, get to know them, see how they react to outdoor situations, and get a feel for how they connect with you before committing?

If you intend to put alot of training on your dog (and yourself) then consider those hunting/working types. People who go for the serious working or hunting breeds are generally very much "into" dog training as their hobby. This goes parallel with the drive on work dogs and hunting dogs really increasing in the past five or so years as more and more people are getting into dog sports/competition, these breeds are getting more refined and intensified for their "job". If that's not you, why not find a small retriever/mix, easier to manage especially for a first time dog owner .

Finally, and this may be common sense, but I'll add..just because you know someone who's got a dog that you admire -- it doesn't mean that you will end up with a carbon copy. Dogs take work and committment and sometimes its years before a great dog is made from a wiley pup.
There are plenty of small to mid sized mixed breeds out there in need of a good home ....check them out, too. :)

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
Shelties are miniature "Lassie's", very cuddly and cute, and super smart, too.
We brought a Sheltie puppy into our home in early June and must say he was 100x easier to train than the Husky. I read somewhere they are in the top 5 of the smartest breeds when it comes to training. He's also very cuddly, a great house dog, and great with the kids, especially the baby. He's also not shy about mixing it up during play-time with our husky and a friends' German Shephard. I haven't had him on the trials yet, so I have no idea how he'll take to hiking. I expect he'll do well as he's very eager to please, no matter what the activity.

The siberian on the other hand is a pure trail dog. She'll hike anywhere, over anything, always in front "on point". She's actually a seppala siberian sled dog, bred for pulling light sleds in short "sprint-distance" races. To help with heat management, this line is bred with a short coat, yet still a double coat for insulation. As a result she's good from about -10 to the low 80's without many problems. She knew what to do in a harness the first time I put her in it, and she hikes very well on-lead, even in open woods. She just seems to "know" which side you want to skirt around trees and obstacles. She doesn't shy away from sketchy terrain, and if she needs a carry her 42 lb frame makes it fairly easy.

The downside: She didn't take to training easily (very independent and dominant, eh Dugan?), I don't trust her off-lead due to a high prey drive and instincts to run flat out for a long distance, and she's not much of a house dog. If she's cooped up inside for too long (more than a day), she'll get an irritable bowel and lose it all over the house. She's a sweet loving girl, eager to please while working, but definitely not for everyone.

Good luck with your search for your new friend!
Smitty

smitty77 said:
We brought a Sheltie puppy into our home in early June

Ok now you really need to post a pic of this new addition, pulllllleeeeaaase!
:p

Smitty, that was a great post! You did an awesome job outlining the different temperments in dogs, and describing how important it is to fit a dog to your whole life, not just outdoor activities/parts of it.

My humble opinion is that its far more important to fit a dog to your whole life and your temperment. A relationship with a dog is for many one of the most rewarding relationships one can share with another being -- I think in many respects this stems from learning to communicate with, understand, and work in tandem with an intelligent being that doesn't speak our language. To me that's what makes the relationship special and unique and I think alot of dog owners out there can relate to this.

Reading about and getting recommendations from others is a way to start, but I think getting out there and meeting alot of individual dogs of many breeds including mixes is far more informative. A person needs to get hands on experience and first hand knowledge not only of the individual personality of the animal but the tendancies of the different breeds themselves. Sensitive smart dogs generally don't do well with "macho" type human personalities (this combo always makes me cringe), while challenging, independant and dominant dogs do not do well with pushover human personalities, and some breeds like the happy go lucky retrievers earn thier popularity because they are good fits with most human personalities.

I think since you want this dog to be a good fit for your human family primarily I'd find a breed with a very social personality. Most any dog will be physically capable of a few miles of varied terrain in the temperature range you are describing; and then there are always those cute little dog sweaters.

Last edited:
jime said:
I don't know a lot (anything) about breeds but last year we acquired a rescue dog that is pure mutt and a great hiking companion. The best we can tell is that she is part collie and part shepherd and part other stuff. She is well behaved and listens most of the time. This past spring we were coming down Mt. Ascutney at dusk when I noticed her sniffing a stump which turned out to be a porcupine. She came over to me the minute I called, which I was grateful for.

I would encourage anyone to at least consider going to an animal rescue and see what might be available that would fit in with the family. Also you might consider fostering some dogs to see what types work for you. Although, a word of caution, we've had some great foster dogs and we've had some scary ones.
I second this. Mutts are the way to go in my opinion. I only suggested satos because they are oftentimes mixed with chihuahua which would satisfy your size requirement.

I am a big proponent of mixed-breed, mongrel dogs. They are oftentimes smart and healthy and tend to avoid genetic issues inherent in pure breeds. If your civic minded you can get one from your local shelter.

-Dr. Wu

I have read all of your responses and appreciate what has been written. A small dog is a requirement. My wife does not want a 40 pound dog in her lap while watching TV! I am more concerned about a dog and how it will deal with the heat when hiking in the summer. We have been looking at a Westie (White West Highland Terrier) as a possibility. I also met this dog on Mt. Belvidere on the Long Trail in Vermont - does anyone know what breed this dog is?

Your picture doesn't show a very typey dog. In general, I don't care to play "guess the breed", because the genes are there for a huge variety of phenotypes at the first generation past cross.

una_dogger said:
My humble opinion is that its far more important to fit a dog to your whole life and your temperment.
That really says it all.

For example - I think a Border Collie would be an outstanding match for me in terms of hiking and running. Could I live with one? Never!

Sato dogs can be good, but like any other mix, you take your chances. More often than not, the SATO's I've seen tend to have personality problems - more from being in a less-than-great match than being bad dogs, and also some health issues. With the match, you can hedge odds in your favor with a careful selection. One of the very best dog-person matches I've seen has been a SATO. As for health - if you're looking for an athlete, I would assume that you'd be looking for a purchase contract with both a health check and a soundness clause. One of the least sound prospective athletes I've seen has been a SATO.

As for mixes, from the stats I've seen, it isn't so much that mixes have fewer health issues, as that those of purebreds are more predictable.

The overwhelming reasons I see for opting for a purebred over a mix are:
-specific physical qualities met by particular breed(s)
-specific temperament/character met by particular breed(s)

What you gain with a purebred is a greater predicability about the dog. If you opt for a purebred, I suggest checking out breed rescue. It's a great way to help out an animal in need, while getting the type you want, as well as the advantage of the usually greater resources of breed rescue.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm glad you're putting some serious thought into it. That will help find you a good match for you, your family, and your home.

askus3 said:
I have read all of your responses and appreciate what has been written. A small dog is a requirement. My wife does not want a 40 pound dog in her lap while watching TV! I am more concerned about a dog and how it will deal with the heat when hiking in the summer. We have been looking at a Westie (White West Highland Terrier) as a possibility. I also met this dog on Mt. Belvidere on the Long Trail in Vermont - does anyone know what breed this dog is?
One just came into my office (with it's owner) that looked similar. It is half Yorkshire Terrier and half Shih Tzu. I believe yorkie's and shitzu's do not shed.

Last edited:
askus3 said:
I also met this dog on Mt. Belvidere on the Long Trail in Vermont - does anyone know what breed this dog is?

Hard to say, there are a number of tiny terriers that have a similar look.

A bichon might be an option if you're going the pure-bred route. Small, sturdy, non-shedding.

If you're open to mixes, but concerned about the "predictability" of it's temperment, my suggestion would be to get a pup from a litter where you know the ingredients, or work with a shelter-less rescue group (like Great Dog New England - but there are others).

The dogs are fostered in people's homes, so you get a much better idea of what their temperment is like than you would with an animal living at a shelter.

griffin said:
...A bichon might be an option if you're going the pure-bred route. Small, sturdy, non-shedding...
Judging from a very small sample (1), I would advise against the bichon. My wife brought one home a week after our lab died (about 4 years ago). It's still not reliably house-trained! It doesn't shed, but needs to be sheared 3 or 4 times a year, and brushed in between unless you want to have a walking rat's nest. It doesn't come when it's called unless it wants to. It's got roughly enough grey matter to control its autonomous functions. I wouldn't take it hiking on a bet, and not just because people would point and laugh.
I will agree that it's sturdy: I ran it over with my truck in the driveway (hey, I figured it had enough sense to move). Other than the tire marks across its little white belly and a couple of stitches, no damage done. Doh!

Last edited:
Oldsmores said:
Judging from a very small sample (1), I would advise against the bichon. My wife brought one home a week after our lab died (about 4 years ago). It's still not reliably house-trained! It doesn't shed, but needs to be sheared 3 or 4 times a year, and brushed in between unless you want to have a walking rat's nest. It doesn't come when it's called unless it wants to. It's got roughly enough grey matter to control its autonomous functions. I wouldn't take it hiking on a bet, and not just because people would point and laugh.
I will agree that it's sturdy: I ran it over with my truck in the driveway (hey, I figured it had enough sense to move). Other than the tire marks across its little white belly and a couple of stitches, no damage done. Doh!

Are you sure in the picture it isn't dead? :D

Keith

I'd say that yes, that is a very small and unrepresentative sample.

I can't know if your dog's problem is bad breeding or bad training, but both of the bichons I had the pleasure of hiking with were smart, trainable, and, well, a pleasure to hike with.

Yes, dogs with hair - as opposed to fur, which sheds - will require buzzing. If your main concern is allergies and shedding, that's the trade-off.

askus3 said:

I had a Westie years back. She loved to hike and hiked with me in the Catskills both summer and winter. She was all terrier but still obedient enough to earn her CD. In at least two of her three qualifying trials she took the best of terriers honors. She loved the water also. As a very young pup I remember taking her out on the beach at Daytona Beach (it was allowed in those days) and she walked right out through the waves -- she just let them wash over her head and kept on going. She was afraid of almost nothing although I do remember her dropping her tail in the face of a St. Bernard.
She did not like the heat, however. When it got really hot she would refuse to walk and just go and lie in the shade.

I'm presently working with a Welsh Terrier pup. He fits most of your requirements but in a typical home with moderate handling he would already have torn the place apart. He takes more work than any other dog I have ever had. I believe in the end, though, it will have been worth it.