What breed of dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron,

If I were you, I'd go get a Boston terrier for your wife - personality plus like a pug without the wheezing, small enough for her lap, and if it takes to hiking, it's a bonus for you.

Dugan gave the million dollar answer - look for a dog to live with, not to hike with. Sounds like the pup will be 99% hers anyway.

I have been looking for a dog myself, and I have to agree with those who have mentioned shelters.

These dogs can be quite amazing, most of my friends have shelter dogs, and they seem to appreciate being in a loving home more than your average doggie.

I am actually dog sitting a friends shelter dog, a Pit Bull of all things, right now. He is snoring happily on his bed which he has pushed up next to a radiator. This dog was in a shelter several times, once returned because of a landlord, once for an alergy. I can't believe I am saying this, but he is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. He has NO IDEA he is a Pit Bull, I think he believes he is a cat. I am NOT reccomending you get a Pit Bull, I am just saying that shelter dogs seem to know what the alternative may be for them, and are more appreciative of the love and care and affection they receive.

A dog is a decision you really need to think about, with any luck he/she will be a part of your life for many years, I agree, hiking is important, but being able to live with the dog the other 95% of your life is more important.

Good luck! And let us know when you get the new addition to your family.

This is a great topic because I was going to ask a similar question about my puppy, who at ten months seems to have plateaued at 12 pounds. "How far can these small dogs go on the trail"? would have been my question and it has been answered here.

Driven by a similar requirement- a dog my wife would enjoy- I got a mixed breed from a friend at work whose dog was having puppies. The mother was part Corgy and Jack Russell terrier, and the father is suspected to be a Bichon Frese.

The result is one of the cutest dogs, best mannered dog and my wife who was never very warm to our other dogs (both big labs) has fallen in love with her.

She has a great trail sense and spirit and loves to take walks and hikes.

We have been looking at a Westie (White West Highland Terrier) as a possibility.

A Westie would be a good choice. We have two females, the bigger one goes around 24 lbs (about as big as they get), the smaller one weighs about 18 lbs. Great companion dogs, loyal, affectionate, pretty gentle, don't shed.

As their name implies, they were bred as field dogs for the West Highlands of Scotland, rugged country with some nasty weather. So they do very well in the outdoors. They are a hardy tough little breed.

My two have summited several ADK High Peaks and other lesser summits, have come with us on numerous 10 - 12 mile winter x-c ski or snowshoe trips. Because of their double hair coat, they can get ice balls forming on their feet, chest, belly and haunches, but a little Mushers Secret on their pads, and covering them with a little doggie sweater or coat takes care of that.