What do you bring as emergency sleeping arrangements?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hikingfish said:
Sure thing! If you start winning the argument, I'll just up the pace until you can either argue or breath lol. I'm sure you'll choose hiking vs arguing.
That is a little bit presumptuous... What let you think you are faster than me ?

hikingfish said:
Seriously, I don't talk much while hiking, but always enjoy company. Don't think I'm heading out this weekend, but definately the weekend after that. Perhaps we should organise something!
Fish

I am doing Gray and Skylight this sunday, can't go the week-end after that. Maybe nov 12th. PM me on that.

Even on a day hike I always carry a pack, which is larger in the winter. For the summer I usually have my Bivy (from Ebay, $50), enough food, and other emergency items (first-aid, flashlight, etc).

In winter I always carry my Bivy, a lightweight sleeping bag, food for a few days (even if it's just freeze-dried), first-aid, flashlights, and some extra clothes. I think the day pack weighs about 12 pounds, which I don't even notice. It weighs more if I bring the crampons, snowshoes, or skis, but that depends on the trail.

Like Pete said, enough to survive, but not be too comfortable, all I'm looking to do is make it long enough to spend the night or get help.

Good fuel can often be found still on the trees, like at the base of pine trees. While the outside is wet, when you strip away the bark it's usually dry enough to use. If you look around and use your head you can usually find what you need not too far away.

additions

On day hikes in the winter I carry a solid fuel (esbit) stove and a few fuel pellets along with instant coffee and or hot chocolate mix with a plastic cup in a camping coffee pot. I've started pretty wet wood with one of these pellets. Haven't packed in with a sleeping bag but I do bring one of the cheapee emergency adventure medical type bivys. I think a foam pad is a great idea and plan to add my old ridge rest to my winter gear (no weight penalty but a little bulky. May have to get one of the fold up variety for this purpose.

There's a design that ERD let us know about a while back on the 3500 Club listserv. It is basically space blanket-type material in layers w/ space within to allow trapped air. There is a British product known as the Blizzard Bag. Here is another version of the product available here in the states:

http://www.northernmountain.com/detail/529916

It's more expensive than the standard emergency bivy, but it seems as if it would offer more in the way of heat. I think I'm going to buy one.

Matt

I'm usually solo, so I don't screw around... especially in the winter. In the summer I always have my bivy with me. In winter, I bring a bivy and -40 sleeping bag, loosely stuffed in my "full pack". Water bottles go in the sleeping bag... they're still warm at the end of the day. If conditions warrant, I'll also bring a shovel. Looks really heavy, but it's only a few pounds more than my regular day pack. Weight distribution is better too.

I have one of those glorified space blankets that Adventure Medical kits sells in a yellow stuff sack. I bought that for my sister a long time ago when she was thinking of using it as a bivy but she decided not to use it and gave it back to me. So I will take that along on odd occasions. I also have those freebee mylar sheets you see sometimes at marathons or on the Mt Washington run. I've kept mine just for future use..

Jay

The grandaddy of all winter pack and clothing lists IMO comes from Johnnycakes and can be found right here.

Enough to survive a night in the woods....

IN the summer thats pretty easy, siltarp, bivy food, and the rest of the essentials.

IN winter the same goal, survive the night! For shelter an ID Salathe GoreTex bivy, 5x8 siltarp, stove, food, and either an appropriate sleeping bag or down pants along with a down parka if the temps are more moderate. It only adds about 5 pounds to the pack.

Bibler makes a lightweight "Winter Bivy", it's small light and around $100.00.

And YES Ridgerunner, DON"T dare forget the Laphroig!! That peaty taste will keep the innards toasty!

Last edited:
Survive The Night?

What if the situation requires you to remain out two or more nights. Many of the pollsters here seem to be assuming they will be in ok condition to walk out the next morning after a night out. We're talking an emergency here, anything goes, broken bones, torn muscles or ligaments,etc...
I think of how cold I get waiting a half hour for folks at trailhead parking lots. The idea of sitting all night in the snow shivering as I slip into deeper states of hypothermia because I did'nt pack a pad and bag seems like hell.
You do'nt have to freeze to death, you just have to get cold enough were your judgment becomes impaired. Things could go down hill real fast after that. I picture myself surviving the night only to get lost taking the wrong trail or trying a "short cut" out of the woods where I fall into a steam before I lay down in the snow for a nap. Body heat is a terrible thing to waste. Reserve,Conserve,Insulate.

I had used a bivy sack but got rid of it. It felt too much like being inside a body bag and I swear it tried to kill me more than once by suffocation. Once a heavy snow load closed the small opening I had in the bag and I (luckily) woke up with an incredible headache. I suspect carbon dioxide poisoning. I also found it absolutely useless in summer. It might be useful in winter in a survival situation but I prefer a tarp. YMMV.

In my normal kit for emergencies when I go solo, I carry an old (crazy creek type) chair and a 10x10 tarp with cord and my 20 degree down sleeping bag which is so light and compressible as to be virtually unnoticeable. I also carry several small, cheap Bic lighters scattered throughout my gear and clothes as well as extra socks and clothing. I can use the chair for sitting, sleeping, or splinting. It has 4 carbon fiber stays as well as the closed cell foam pads that I could use to make nifty splints. Not that I would necessarily be able to splint myself. That would depend on my injury. What I also, always, carry for emergencies (and so do you) is first and foremost, my large simian brain :D . OK, technically you don’t carry my simian brain but, yours is probably better than mine anyways. I tried filling it with information and then testing that information in real world conditions which then gives me experience. That combination, knowledge and experience is likely to hold off panic, on my part, if things go south. I also carry an amateur radio with a fairly good external antenna and I know how to use it. No matter what happens, I know I have the knowledge to keep myself warm and dry and probably be able to get help if needed. While I might not be comfortable, I know I should be able to survive and probably get in touch with someone for help. Doing that will also reduce the amount of looking someone should have to do for me so I will be found faster and have more rescuers available to assist me since they aren’t searching my entire route of travel. Of course, I never expect that I will be the one being rescued. :D I carry all this stuff more for others but, one never knows. I also carry some limited medical supplies but not as much as I carry if actually on a search or a rescue. I am of course assuming that I can’t get myself out. If I could splint and self rescue I would chose that if possible. I usually have enough food for at least one more day than I expect to be out. I can also use the radio to let family members know not to call for rescue because I can let them know I will be late. That helps keeps the rescuers safe and gives my wife some piece of mind.

Keith

BEUCS said:
What if the situation requires you to remain out two or more nights.
I was just thinking about that as I was planning a solo 2 nighter. No one's going to notice I'm missing untill late Sunday night but what if I become immobilized on Saturday morning?
Excellent point.

BEUCS said:
What if the situation requires you to remain out two or more nights. Many of the pollsters here seem to be assuming they will be in ok condition to walk out the next morning after a night out. We're talking an emergency here, anything goes, broken bones, torn muscles or ligaments,etc...

Right, but I think probability and calculated risk.

If I wanted to be perfectly safe, I wouldn't do half the things I do.

Here is what works for me, I carry a down hooded parka and bibs instead of a sleeping bag, a closed cell pad, and a space blanket.My "bivy" is an old north face winter pack that has a long spindrift sleeve that reaches to my waist when I get in it. I use the space blanket to form a bubble over my upper torso and light up 2 fat candles in my drinking cup, loosen up my shoe laces and settle in for the night.I've tested these things while I had a tent and sleeping bag set up next to me in case they wern't enough.I didn't have any problems, the candles put out quite a bit of heat. I haven't winter camped in years but I carry these things on my winter day hikes.The bibs and parka made nature calls easy, and making breakfast and breaking camp was a snap.

Reasonably Safe?

Pete I think you've hit on an interesting point, which is "what's reasonable to carry while hiking in the event something goes wrong". I'm sure everyone would agree that the weather and terrain one's going to be hiking in would dictate what's wise to carry.
Still I've seen many people who winter day hike with little to no back up gear, some have barely what it takes to make it through the hike their doing at the time.
I guess I'm just one of those folks who would rather carry some gear that I did'nt end up using then one who did'nt carry the gear and found myself in a situation where I wished I had.

BEUCS said:
I guess I'm just one of those folks who would rather carry some gear that I did'nt end up using then one who did'nt carry the gear and found myself in a situation where I wished I had.

I may be a different type of hiker. I don't carry much and I just deal with the circumstances. I am not scared of difficult situations, and I know from what I experienced that I can be tough. All those hikes that I said "I wished I had this or that" are the ones with the greatest souvenirs. I want my life filled with those adventurous days. Even if that means dying on the mountain (I think that's better than dying in my living room).