What does VFTT mean to you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We've probably all seen the thread Darren started about his brother passing away.

IndianChris got me thinking about all the people I've met (including him and Coldfeet) and what has come of those meetings. I've met and hiked with over 100 people from this board. That's great, but it has also lead to more volunteers at the Balsam Lake Mountain Fire Tower, several lasting friendships, and great travel opportunities.

Aside from some great hikes, and of course, some awesome beer nights ( :D ), what else has VFTT been directly or indirectly responsible for? Did you meet the love of your life here? Did you read some advice that just might have saved your life?

The Trail Conditions have certainly made trip planning easier for me, it is possible if unlikely that avoiding certain conditions based on negative reports has saved my life

I have been to events with Spence and Jay and a couple of private hikes

And I have gleaned a lot of info about history and odd locations

One of the things I appreciate about the forum is the opportunity to see how diverse the ways we experience the Mountains are.

Another is seeing the trip reports people put up to the exotic places they go, like the Alps, Canadian Rockies, Himalayas, Southwest, Northwest, etc. Places I may never go myself.

It means I can still be connected to the New England hiking scene. Will be up in April and will hike at least once. Most likely Monadnock.

VFTT has certainly been:

- An invaluable source of advice, tips on gear, route suggestions, conditions reports, etc.
- A place to meet people with similar outdoors interests
- A place to have discussions of all levels of intensities
- The workplace "smoke break"
- A community / family, as demonstrated by numerous personal tragedies and celebrations, not the least of which include Darren's father and now his brother, Doug's broken leg, Bobby's wife, Bushwhack Bill, Ray Loring to Tom and Laurie and MichaelJ and Sabrina's weddings, Seema's gourmet gatherings, Pat and Audry's potlocks, and numerous Barnes Field (and other) gatherings. Even though I haven't met every one of these people, and I haven't been to any gatherings, I have shared in the loss and the gain of many people.

Tim

Well I'm pretty new to the ranks, so VFTT has most directly impacted me by giving valuable trail conditions, which help with planning hikes.

That said, I really enjoy reading about people who who have more experience than I and are in elite shape doing some pretty amazing feats of mountain hiking. It inspires me to improve my knowledge and abilities. :)

Lastly, I value the wealth of knowledge and experience concerning gear, skills and all things hiking that the community possesses and willingly shares.

...- An invaluable source of advice, tips on gear, route suggestions, conditions reports, etc...

I agree with Tim's summary.

Also:
-- Winter hiking. Doubtful I would've considered it before reading about it and learning about it here. Previously the winter season had been the time to spiral out of shape.
-- Strange hikes. Never ever would've done (or even been aware of) a Pemi Loop or Presidential Range traverse before reading about them here.
-- Photography. The photography forum has covered just about every question I've ever had about outdoor photography. Although I'm still an amateur hack, my photography skills have increased 10x because of the technical info covered in the forum, and also because I've shamelessly stolen some of the techniques and styles of those who post photos here, especially pudgy_groundhog and Tim Seaver.
-- I spy. Fun to see people on the trail who I recognize from this site.
-- Lastly, because of this site, places such as EMS and REI have succeeded in separating me from a significant portion of my salary.

Last edited:
Trail conditions, Nov to April first and foremost. Lots of information regarding trails, gear, and hiking. Also some inspirational posts, and some very funny people :D. Thanks for all the help and fun.

Friends!!!

I have met so many wonderful people here who share my love of the outdoors. I spent so many years hiking alone and being the "weirdo at work who hikes all the time". I've met my bestest friends and my BEST friend and husband here.

:)

VfTT is a place to come to talk about the mountains. In the mountains, I come alive. On VfTT, the mountains come alive during the times I can't be in them!

Thank You, Darren, for starting VfTT and for keeping it going all these years, and for Dave and Alan for keeping the peace.

Really enjoyable reading all the comments. It's all about the friends, information and keeping in touch with the mountains while away from them. And like people like Sabrina....:D

I ran into VFTT long ago early in the sites history. At the time despite living right in the White Mountains, the number of folks in the area who actually hiked was pretty low (and still are) and the ones who did tended to hike with the same people they grew up and tended to be pretty closed groups.

There was really no source of trail conditions especially in the winter. About the only way to plan on a packed trail was to go out the day after a scheduled AMC trip ;). When the 98 ice storm hit, the woods were impassable and VFTT was the source for finding out what trails were passable. Due to the characteristics of the damage, it was mostly the lower elevation trails that got hammered and there was a distinct possibility that someones selected escape route would be impassable so knowing what was open was essential. When the Saco ranger district started using VFTT to report which trails were cleared and other districts followed it was affirmation that the VFTT trail conditions were the default for the whites.

Another aspect was reading about what others were doing and the utter amazement at some of the feats people were pulling off. Just as interesting was many of the reports to places off the beaten paths over the years.

Of course any discussion of VFTT has to include "the lists", I expect a high number of those working on the various lists have come to VFTT to find out the latest info on the best way to bag the latest one on their list. I dont think the Isolation bushwhack, the Black Pond bushwhack, the Brutus route and the Firewardens trail would be much more than a foot note if they were discussed on the site.

The Gatherings, always a member organized event, were a great place to meet the diverse hiking and other outdoor activity crowds. It was also a place where at least at first many people felt "safe" going to a event in person to meet people that they only knew by their postings. Many folks came and went over the years and a lot of the friendships were formed. Of late for various reasons, the amount of new members has lapsed a bit and many of the "old timers" have moved away or lost interest and new forms of media have replaced the activity on the trips and events forum. Despite a lack of recent formal Gatherings, a few of the spawned events, like UFC's event and the ADK BBQ and arguably Flags on the 48 still are going strong.

Hats off to the moderators over the years and to Darren in trying to maintain a civil discourse, I realize that some people just couldnt live with what I considered reasonable moderation, but the site is better for it.

May it last in some form for many more years !

Information and support.

Information -- trail conditions, detailed trip reports, how various hikers deal with unexpected setbacks.

Support -- new friends and a general sense of companionship. I also love the fact that the posters here are not a homogenous bunch; respectful debate is a joy to read.

In my book, which will be published early next year, I discuss VFTT and credit it for teaching me as much as one can learn online about hiking the Whites. Maybe Tom brings up VFTT in his book as well..? As a result, even more people might become members/lurkers and therefore also benefit from Darren's wonderful gift to the hiking community.

Thanks for all your hard work, Darren. Thanks also to the moderators!

1. Great up-to-date information on trails, equipment, etc.
2. Meeting some quality people with whom to share hikes. I am glad to count these people as my friends.
3. Beer nights.

Thanks to Darren, the mods and all the contributors who make this a great site.

I heartily agree with everything that has been posted. In addition to that, VFTT means the following:

• Enabled me to pursue lists, such as the New England 100 Highest and the Winter NH 48, which I would not have considered otherwise. On second thought, I still have scars from Scar Ridge.:rolleyes:;)

• Allowed me to meet a group of really great people, who I hike with often and are my close friends.

• Reinforced my faith in human nature. There are many kind and caring people here, as I found out first hand with the outpouring of support for Jason B and me after Ray Loring's untimely death. For that, I will always be grateful.

My sincere thanks to Darren, Alan and Dave.

Marty

Last edited:
Friends I've just met, hiked with, and haven't met yet...

3 years ago when I decided I wanted to do Rainier, in blind desperation for someone to join me, I sent a PM to the 3 or 4 people here that I had hiked with who I thought might be interested. 2 responses came back that they just couldn't, no problem, the last came back "Yeah, I think that'd be cool to do." Paradox, who had joined me on one hike, a "Flags on the 48" peak that I lead, thought it was a good idea. We spent that winter doing overpacked overnights in the Whites to train.

I appreciate this site, the knowledge available, and the people I've met.

Thanks to Darren and his brother and the Mods !

It's an excellent site and there's something about it that keeps me coming back to it even after extended absences. I first discovered VFTT about 10 years ago and immediately enjoyed the information and discussion. Unlike others, I never really used the site much for actual real-life socialization as I spend most of my time in the hills alone. I don't engage or say as much as I used to but still enjoy popping in ... particularly during the winter months when the information on the site is the most useful.

I've always liked Darren's on-line persona and respect the way he's run the site over the years.

Good responses all around.

Conditions updates, interesting destinations or routes I hadn't thought of, great photography, a place to share the occasional photo or story of an exploit with people who are at least a little bit interested ...

I think the biggest benefit for me has been the way it keeps me psyched about getting out for a hike, during the in between times when it will be a little while before I can get out again.