What have you found in the woods?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While bushwhacking about half-way up Donaldson I found a horseshoe... actually probably a muleshoe used duing the logging days.

While exploring the north side of the Dix cirque I came across and old deserted hunters campsite with a hut cut into the hillside. Inside it was filled with beercans. Outside there was a half keg container. What does one of those weigh filled?

While hiking over Shepherd's tooth, a sparkle caught my eye in a rock crevice. Turned out to be a pair of eyeglasses ... very old and quaint looking. I didn't see any bones nearby.

While camping at Lost Pond peak I came across a stack of wood neatly piled between two posts. The wood had not been chopped. It had been neatly cut with a saw.

While bushwhacking up the side of Gothics I came across a biodegradeable urn. Iniside were the ashes of some 46er hiker who I suspect loved the Daks and wanted to be laid (dropped from a plane) to rest there. Not really. But that is my plan in the near future for me. So if you come across my urn, just let it be, okay? The rains will return it all to the elements.

Panties

If you find panties along the trail, would they be considered Lost and Found, or trash?

On top of Mt. Mansfield last month, stepped away from trail to pee and found a tag that apparently was inside someone's urn. "Pineview Crem. #414 Queensbury, NY 2005". Not sure why I kept it, next time I'm up there I think I will toss it back.

I found these poor souls along the Sherburne trail (ascending Pico):

O14.jpg

oops, I meant soles! :D

I regularly collect pack parts, silverware, tent stakes and other useful refuse from the trail. I have never bought a set of nesting eating utensils, but I have about 4 sets put together from trail finds.

While I was out Winter hiking one time lower down on the way out I had taken my Crampons off and strapped them to my pack because they were no longer needed. When I got off the trail I noticed that one of the Heel Bails on this particular stepin model had fallen off and was lost. Thank goodness it was lost when it was and not when I needed it. The odd thing was that the next time I went out, in a totally different area than I had hiked previously I found the same exact Heel Bail that someone else had lost!Very Odd.

TheChez said:
I regularly collect pack parts, silverware, tent stakes and other useful refuse from the trail. I have never bought a set of nesting eating utensils, but I have about 4 sets put together from trail finds.

We too bring back treasures...one of our guys always starts digging around old hunting camps....finding silverware, parts of whatever, tools..stoves lanterns, pots and pans...he's our "resident archaeologist" :rolleyes: