what is the sickest thing you ever saw on the trail??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see sounds interesting mountaining biking - not for me anymore - last year showing my kids how we use to make jumps with plywood my demonstration ended when I went over the handle bars and for this foolish act I was awarded a plate in the wrist. So no mountain biking down Dead Moose Alley into something called "Nose Dive" ( from that article) for me. Unless I can ride with one of those roller blading wrist protectors.
File under dumbest things off the trial. Dads and ramps don't go together.

chuck said:
I see sounds interesting mountaining biking - not for me anymore - last year showing my kids how we use to make jumps with plywood my demonstration ended when I went over the handle bars and for this foolish act I was awarded a plate in the wrist. So no mountain biking down Dead Moose Alley into something called "Nose Dive" ( from that article) for me. Unless I can ride with one of those roller blading wrist protectors.
File under dumbest things off the trial. Dads and ramps don't go together.
:eek: :D I did almost the same thing recently, but avoided any serious injury, just my pride, really.
We had a ramp and a pile of mulch at the bottom of the drive that my boys were FLYING over.
It looked like so much fun, I just HAD to try it... :eek:

Thanks Chip, only a couple of people I know thought that I was not crazy. The worst was sitting on the side of road holding my wrist with all the nieghborhood kids standing around and asking if I was alright. "Oh yes fine , Fine , you know what I'm gonna take down this ramp down. I don't want any of you kids to get hurt"

I just remembered a sick thing I saw on a trail well temporarily sick. On Wildcat October two years ago. First snow/new snow about inch I forget which letter summit but up near one, the part with the puncheons (those little wood walkways over wet parts) came around the bend to all white new snow but everywhere going out like 10 feet was what appeared to be blood sprayed out everywhere. We stopped dead in our tracks thinking it was a large animal kill and some predator was near by . We only saw slightly covered boot tracks in the snow and no animal prints. Then got real scared thinking we had walked up on a murder scene or something. closer inspection we realized it was red gatorade or punch. Not sure why someone would pour it around so much. They probably didn't realize what it would look like walking up onto the area.

Sick as in scary:
While hiking near Moriah(full packs) in an area of extreme exposure, my wife who was leading, took a bad step and backflipped off the trail and disappeared over the edge. As I dropped my pack and hustled to the edge I was thinking "my god she's gone". :eek: I look over the edge to see her in a perfect self arrest (reverse push up with feet down hill and toes jacked into the slope.) :cool: Below her several hundred feet of drop. :eek: I pulled her up and she started off again as if nothing had happened. Freaks me out to this day!
Sick as in Gross: Filter water, guzzle, start up stream only to find a maggot filled moose carcass in the water on the same side of the stream. Yuuch!
Sick as in amazing: Standing in a brook fishing, a Bald Eagle lands in the straw 5-6 feet away hops around awkwardly gathers up clumps of straw and flies off. Soooo cool. Peace and Joy to All

I took my girlfriend at the time to a swimming hole in Vermont in a few years ago (Old City Falls). We were swimming there for about twenty minutes and this elderly man (couldn't have been younger than 80...no joke) hikes towards us totally naked and starts to swim. I think he actually hiked from his car nude. He didn't care that there were about a dozen other people there as well.

I guess it's more odd than "sick", but thought I'd share that :)

Last edited:
Then again this thread has currently gotten over 2,500 views, so plenty of folks must find it interesting/funny/educational?

FWIW, I am definitely not a 9-year-old boy (check today's birthdays--woohoo!!) :D but I do admit to loving South Park. :D And I do think this thread is funny and interesting.

About the Kingdom Trail, "Dead Moose Alley," the dead moose in the well this year was actually the SECOND time it's happened! :( I actually spoke to one of the KT guys about putting some sort of cover on the wells (one on Moose Alley as well), but I don't think they took the suggestion seriously. :mad:

Me too

Kevin Rooney said:
Am in the minority here, along with Jade. Have said my piece.
Kevin
Part of the silent majority, maybe. :rolleyes:
This whole thread seems like chatroom stuff to me - folks trying to out-gross each other, no? I'll avert my eyes............

it appears to me that the moderators actually can have fun with a thread. shame on them!!!
:D

happy trails and happy holidays

peace and joy

To Kevin, Jade, Beverly and others,

It's the Christmas season. Let's all hug and laugh now.

Kevin, I do understand a repulsion from trash, but the 9 year old male comment insults all posters. Somehow, throwing a little back didn't make me feel very good, espescially since I mispelled "psuedo". D'oh!!!

I'm likewise disgusted with modern deminished social standards. For example, tonight we found a package ( no boubt a Christmas present) eroniously delivered to our house. We took the time to find which "neighbor" was the intended recipient. It turned out to be a yuppie New Yorker second home-owner. My wife called her and this blue-state bitch didn't even say "thank you" or anything else freindly. She was annoyed that she had to drive down the road to our house, instead of us bringing it to her. Go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There have been many political comments on these threads, specifically anti-American comments, which I find ignorant and inapropriate. Although they don't belong here, we can't expect the moderator to step in on every dubious post, and we need to let some things go even if they bother us. I think I share with you a desire for a dialog about hiking, our shared passion. To enjoy the benefits of this treasured forum, maybe we'll have endure or ignore portions of it.

Happy Trails!

forestnome said:
I'm likewise disgusted with modern deminished social standards. For example, tonight we found a package ( no boubt a Christmas present) eroniously delivered to our house. We took the time to find which "neighbor" was the intended recipient. It turned out to be a yuppie New Yorker second home-owner. My wife called her and this blue-state bitch didn't even say "thank you" or anything else freindly. She was annoyed that she had to drive down the road to our house, instead of us bringing it to her. Go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There have been many political comments on these threads, specifically anti-American comments, which I find ignorant and inapropriate.......

“Blue state bitch”? Ignorant and innappropriate would be a mild description of your post above, FN. Just in case you are not aware of it, women from New York are Americans, too......

As far as “modern deminished social standards” go, you might try posting when sober..... :rolleyes: ..... at least I'm hoping that's your excuse!

Me thinks there are many people feeling Holiday or year end stress. Best Holiday wishes to all and I hope that disagreements over this thread do not divide members of this site any further.

After the criticism the moderators have taken here and more so in private communications, its closed unless Darren decides to either comment or reopen it.
This thread was "interesting" as the moderators walked the line between members having fun (some of which I found a little tasteless), and wanting folks to have fun with it. However, there were a few outraged PMs, enough to have contributed to this thread's closure.
I do know that some people believe the moderators must lurk over every thread, even when we too are enjoying the Holiday season with families.

Status
Not open for further replies.