What's best? Snowshoe bag or strap them on??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocahontas

Reaction score
Being fairly new to winter hiking I was wondering what most winter hikers do w/ snowshoes when you know you may need them but not at the lower elevations

What is the most efficient way to carry?

Do most strap them on your pack in a snowshoe bag or just strap them on directly?
Is it worth it to buy a bag?

I have a few daypacks I use in winter, one is my regular summer pack and I simply stick the tails of my snowshoes in the side pockets and use a bungee to lash the tips together and biner the binding to my top strap. But there are many winter daypacks that have a snowboard vertical carrier which I find adapt well to carrying snowsnoes... with a biner to back it up so it can't slide out. Some of the winter packs will also have back access so you can grab things inside your pack with the snowshoes on the front...

So, you can see if you can adapt your pack or spend some $$ and buy a winter specific pack. As far as a bag, I don't use one but some do. I would keep a storage bag of some sort in the car for post trip, lest you want a small puddle of water in your car on the drive away.

Jay

Strap 'em on. Bag seems like a waste of money.

A loop of elastic across the back of a pack (the thicker variety, but not bungee-grade) is a quick way to access snowshoes without diddling around with straps.

Thanks to all who replied I appreciate all the responses
everyone had some really great suggestions!

Looks like the best way to go is to continue to strap/lash them on!

Thanks again everyone!