What's The Best Country You've Hiked In?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
The Machu Picchu thread on this forum got me thinking about this one. There are some very interesting folks on this board, so I was curious as to how many of you have hiked in countries other than the U.S.

So for those who have hiked elsewhere on the globe... What country would you say is the best country you've ever hiked in?

Though I've traveled quite a bit I can't say I've hiked anyplace else but the U.S. (Unless you want to count stagerring from beer hall to beer hall in Germany as hiking).

Looking forward to the replies. :)

I actually did hike in Thailand many years ago (it seems) while on a year long honeymoon - compliments of the Air Force :) It was quite nice.

New Zealand! Of course, it's the only other country I've really hiked in so far... but it still rocked. :) The scenery was just spectacular. We did two four-day backpacking trips -- one along the beach and another in the mountains and even my non-hiking hubby loved it.

- Ivy

Each place has it's unique beauty and offer special rewards. I don't think I could pick one over the other.
I spent a bit living in England with my cousins and walking the fells in the Lake District. I loved that because of the wide open spaces and the views. I've gone back a few times under the auspices of visitng family, but with the intention of working on my list of fells :D
When I was in the army in the late 70's, I was stationed in Fulda Germany and did some hiking in the Rohn Mountains as well as down near Munich. I loved the small villages and the ability to pop into the gasthauses in the small mountian villages for a cold beer.

On our honeymoon we were in the French Alps for a couple of days - I was swept away by the beauty, tranquility and endless peaks (and views) and the wonderful trails.

Hmmmm. I don't think one is better than another. I am just fortunate to have been able to hike a few other places...

Kyrgyzstan

While Nepal was cool, its hard to beat Kyrgyzstan for variety...

From Central asian steppes, to wide open U shapped Glacial valleys to sheer talus. Finally Alpine/himmalyan peaks and 60KM glaciers...it has it all, but tought to get to.

Nepal, US and France/Switzerland are other nice ones

Nepal was great, excellent scenery and very nice cultural experience. But it lacks in the wilderness experience department for me.
So I say, USA all the way, so far! I LOVE Colorado. Have backpacked in Indian Peaks Wilderness, Rocky Mnt National Park, Roosevelt Natl Forest, West Elk Wilderness, and La Garita Wilderness. I personally want my ashes scattered in the La Garita when I die.
I'd love to trek northbound through the entire country of Italy someday, and Peru, Bolivia and Patagonia are also high on my list; as is a thru hike of the PCT and the Colorado Trail (which I may attempt in May 2006).

Ahhh...so many trails...so little time.

Sabrina

una_dogger said:
Nepal was great, excellent scenery and very nice cultural experience. But it lacks in the wilderness experience department for me.
So I say, USA all the way, so far!

I read somewhere that North America has a lot more wilderness/undeveloped land than Africa. It is quite nice here when you get away from suburbia.

We recently returned from hiking the Haute Route (Chamonix, France to Zermatt, Switzerland). Amazing doesn't begin to describe that scenery! Also two week-long hikes in Canada (Yukon, Newfoundland). Other than that, I once hiked a small mountain in Korea in my "spare" time many years ago, courtesy of Uncle Sam. That's about it, I think.

Wilderness Areas USA

I read somewhere that North America has a lot more wilderness/undeveloped land than Africa

I hadn't read that but I have read that despite our wilderness areas, our large mammal biodiversity is lower because we have created alot of "islands" where some species actually can go extinct "locally" through isolation.

Shameless book plug:
"Walking the Big Wild:From Yellowstone to the Yukon on the Grizzly Bear's Trail" by Karsten Hueur
for more info on the island effect, the need for wildlife corridors to connect wilderness areas, and the struggles of a novice backpacker.

Sabrina

I just spent 10 days in Ecuador, and while I didn't get a chance to hike much, the scenery in crossing the Andes from Quito to the jungle was simply spectacular. 20k ft snowcapped, steaming volcanoes. Amazing. I'll bet New Zealand was awesome!

I've hiked in Ireland, Switzerland, & Austria, but nothing so far has topped Alaska!!!

I'd love to see the Himalaya, Andes, and New Zealand. At the rate of 1 trip a year I'll have to keep going into my sixties to finish the wish list!!! :eek:

Scotland.
You might be surprised.
The elevations above sea level are humble, (only eight 4,000 footers) but the 284 or so "Munros", peaks above 3,000 ft., are diverse, varied, and striking. At this latitude, there's some pretty nasty mountain weather and the craggy peaks such as on the Isle of Skye can give you quite a test. (One's nicknamed "the Inaccessible Pinnacle"). A "Munroist" here has really earned his or her patch.

My dream trips would be Tibet/Nepal and New Zealand, but I haven't gotten to either yet.
Ecuador was spectacular because of the climate - they graze cattle at 15K ft, and the temperatures at altitude are moderate.
All in all, can't beat the US of A for variety... :)