What's your least favorite part of summer hiking 2004?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Least Favorite part of summer hiking 2004

• Rain-Rain-Rain

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Bugs

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Mud

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Crowds

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Heat/Humidity

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Bears

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've gone hiking only twice this summer. Both were Presi traverse attempts. The first one we turned around before we got to Adams because the wind and rain were too much (quite the experience). The second attempt was the best weather I have ever experienced in the Presidentials. Perfect temps, light wind, great company. But the crowds on Mount Washington are awful. Of course that didn't stop me from having two egg salad sandwiches and a whoopie pie, but I'd trade that in to get rid of the cog and the hordes of people taking pictures on the summit who didn't earn it.

Oh, and the bugs sucked too. Bring on the cold.

My least favorite part of any season is that there is never enough time to hike. I answered Heat/Humidity, although only the humidity has been bad. I dislike the obscured views more than I mind the discomfort. Rain and mud has not been an issue in the Catskills this summer -- it was very dry until mid-July, and even now we are getting less than average rain. Adk_dib is right that the bugs (compared to other areas of the northeast) are never very bad in the Catskills - that based on my 30 years of hiking in the Catskills, Adirondacks, and some in New England.

I have no complaints about this summer. I will be sorry to see it end, even if it does usher in autumn, my favorite season.:)

Another vote for traffic.

Get in a car and try to drive in any direction from Boston and you'll know what I mean.

It's even more of a moodkill when you finally get out of the city and as you are cruising up through NH or into the lower 'Dacks you hit more stand still traffic. Grrrrr

Having to deal with some access issues this season was pretty lame as well.

You forgot to include plant life such as STINGING NETTLES! Hate them. But if I had to choose from your list, I guess it would be the bugs.

Nothing (other than not enough days!). Despite having to wear an ankle brace (from a slip in BSP), not being able to sit comfortably (from a slide down Willey), and cutting my head (walking into a tree while looking for bear tracks - seriously) this has been a great season. I've been lucky enough to get out 30 days in calendar 2004, and hope to hit 40+. I've also been very lucky to meet quite a few borad members, and hike with them - that's my highlight!

Life is very good indeed!

I voted bugs even though they haven't been bad this year. I don't mind the heat. The mud is just annoying. I avoid the crowds.

Crowds get my vote, although sometimes it is the quality rather than the quantity. Large groups who walk side by side, thus forcing solo hikers off the trail, are among the most bothersome. Fortunately, I get to hike a lot in the beautiful mountains of Western Maine, where this happens less. Bugs get second place, but this has been an easy year for them.

truepatriot09: yup. 30 days. That includes my injury shortened winter dates. Once back on the trail in April, I went out 6 weekends in a row for at least one day. I've been fortunate to have hiked in BSP and Western Maine, the Whites, and the High Peaks this year. I was planning to head to the LT for 4 days this weekend, but my mother-in-laws bypass surgery changed my plans (she's doing fine). I hope to get out there soon, possibly in 2 weeks. I find myself going stir crazy if I don't hike for 2 weeks:)

If I have one complaint from the summer hiking, it's the traffic on the way back from some of those hikes!

Noramally I hate summers but this one has not been too bad. I did not hike as much but that is typical for me in the summer. I like to use the Mt bike more as well as the Kayake.

We have had a summer where it is humid for a few days followed by cooler temps. The bugs have been well behaved. Crowdes are never an issue for me. Plus having a new baby made this summer better than any other. I even had the oppertunity to get her out on short hikes and she is only 5 weeks old now. :)
and I finally got in as a Park ranger.
Of course I am always ready for Fall and winter though

What haven't I liked:

Medical issues that dragged trough winter into late spring, keeping me off the trail.

Then smashing my knee and shin into rocks underwater in the Pemi chasing my wifes boot.....don't ask......... :)

All the rain.
All the traffic.

I have enjoyed hiking, otherwise, all Summer long.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Haven't really experienced any of the bad stuff this year. Voted for crowds because I had to share a lean-to for the first time ever this year.

The worst thing to happen to me was NO BLUEBERRIES! While hiking in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness in mid-August in the past, there were always tons of blueberries to be had. This year? I found three. Not three bushes, three blueberries.

Man, I wish I had the time to hike that SerpaKroto has. God bless you, SherpaK, enjoy the time that I don't have.

What rain?

Hmmm. A lot of people said the rain.. I've been hearing that a lot this summer. My son, who spent 5 days a week living in a tent in the Adirondacks and Catskills tells me that he didn't find the rain that bad at all this year.

For me, we had 10 days of trailwork, and it only rained on one of them.

My biggest complaint isn't in the list. There were so many trailwork outings, that I didn'T have enough time to do any hiking for pleasure.

I found a new “least favorite” that I over looked in my previous post. I vote for “US” the users of the trails who do not help maintain the trails and I count myself among them. After traveling 400 miles to get to the Adirondacks, all I want to do is climb - poor excuse. If it were not for Pete and other dedicated trail crewmembers all of us would be complaining even louder about the conditions. Thanks Pete and thanks to all trail crewmembers.

Not getting out enough .. although the times I have been out have been great this summer. If you pick the right times and/or the right trails you can miss alot of the crowds.

Least favorite ??

Let's see, I have all of New England at my doorstep, any time I can find the time and a little gas money to get out there. What's not to like?

Rain – Yes, I could have used more rain, particularly to keep navigable into summer some of the smaller creeks that I like to paddle.

Crowds – I have never understood this one. Every 'tourist', 'flatlander', 'weekender' etc. is just someone like you and me who hasn't yet hiked enough to join our club. I find it a great pleasure to take new people out on trips. My wife and I spent much of the summer welcoming a new person into the world.

Traffic – What traffic? That's just me, and you, and the next guy getting out into the woods.

Bugs – So few, I hope the birds and bats are doing OK.

Heat – Coolest summer I can remember.

Mud – There was almost no mud on the Long Trail this Spring, when the GMC discourages hiking. Then, after Memorial Day, tons on mud! Go figure, but who doesn't like mud? It's just like water, and leaves, and talus, etc. It's just part of the fun.

Bears – Alas, I have not seen a bear yet this summer. I wonder how many have seen me? Well, there is still time.

The only thing wrong with summer is that its not fall, winter or spring. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Bravo! Tramper Al says it all and says it best . . ..

G.