Where Would You Live?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
werdigo49 said:
Interesting that NOBODY has mentioned anything in the Adirondacks. A place like Keene Valley, or Keene, maybe, ought to appeal to someone. Any particular reason for this non-New-York outcome?

PS: My ID says Newcomb but that's just a summer location. I definitely wouldn't want to retire there.

Actually, it looks like Randomscooter is high on Keene and Switzerland.

werdigo49 said:
Interesting that NOBODY has mentioned anything in the Adirondacks. A place like Keene Valley, or Keene, maybe, ought to appeal to someone. Any particular reason for this non-New-York outcome?

I'd love to live in the Daks but the whole "need to make money to live on" thing gets in the way!

I would really like to have a camp up there someday for retirement/weekends.

timmus said:
I haven't travel much, and I can't talk about the places I never been. Vancouver was nice. It's close to Seattle, that could be fun. But it rains all the time.

Hmmm if that is true who do we have a burning ban all summer? And that is so almost every year.

Oh and a belated congrats on finishing the 48 timmus

Kevin Rooney said:
Actually, it looks like Randomscooter is high on Keene and Switzerland.

Ah, thanks... I missed him, even though I'd noticed that his location was Keene :eek:

Frodo said:
The places that I will NEVER live (or even be buried at) :D

Newark, New Jersey

The armpit of America! Ack! I lived in Elmwood Park, NJ, about 30-185 minutes away, depending on traffic. Never again. Quite the opposite of where I am now, and for that I am most grateful.
:p

Very good question.

Here are my 3 choices.

1. Lake Placid, NY.

2. Pittsburg, NH.

3. Lincoln, NH.

Great question...

Just completed Year One in Waterville Valley, NH, and we're still thrilled with our good fortune to have moved there (now I wish I could spend more weekdays there!). We have (just about) everything, so it's still the top of my list, if reality weighs in the decision.

Otherwise -- access to mountains and good skiing/hiking rule my world, but I would prefer a "real" place over a glitzy location like Aspen or Vail:

- Crested Butte or Telluride CO
- Chamonix or other French alpine town

bandana4me said:
Right where I live now! B-Town ummm Bethlehem NH. It is nice to live and work right where you want to be!

Another vote for Bethlehem,from May to December. Then it's off to live on the sailboat in Exuma from Jan to April.

Got the place in Bethlehem.
Got the boat.

Getting closer every day...

Great responses!

It was interesting to see how many times Santa Fe, Jasper, & Durango came up...I've never visited any of those towns, so I'll have to add them to the list.

- Greg

I'd love to live in Hawaii for a year or two....hey, wait a minute....I already made my dream happen. :D

- darren

If it's any place in the world, the closest I've ever been to Paradise is in the Vanoise national park in the Savoie region of France in the heart of the Alps.

Here in the USA while I have a great affection for Colorado, I think I would pick someplace near Ashville NC. I actually have been thinking about doing just that.

Can the answer to this question be that I'd love to be mobile for a year? Meaning, hiking the AT, the Long Trail, the John Muir Trail, driving cross country in a sleeper van exploring the US and Canada, etc? If I had the money and the time, that would be what I would want to do. There are so many places I haven't seen!

But if I had to choose a spot to stay for one year, I'd see it as an opportunity to see a new place, and I would love to live, no strings attached and with full time on my hand to explore and enjoy:
1. The Bend, OR area
2. Alaska (I'd love to go back to Denali and hike around for a year!)
3. Colorado (maybe around Boulder)

On the other hand, in "real" life, I live in good ol' Topsham, Maine, which is close to the ocean and only an hour and a half or so from the mountains. Great access. Can't complain much :)

I love the idea of this thread! It's fun to see where everyone would want to live!

This is kind of the where would I retire arguement:

Reality: not far from my kids, (they are up the creek if they get jobs in Iowa!) :D

Married to my wife, likely someplace equidistant to Mountains & beach. I need some beach time too so CO really doesn't work. (Solo I'd be willing to be much closer to Mtn's but I want to drive less than 7 hours to an ocean warm enough to swim in say mid- to late September)

Someplace in NC or maybe near Kingston, NY area on Hudson, not too far from Jersey Shore or ADK's with Catskills in backyard would make sense. Out west the whole coast with the Cascades but water temp, fear of quaking earth & fire breathing mountains might be an issue. Doesn't bother me visiting, living there full time might be against that whole secure retirement thinking, So inland & north of San Diego maybe

Internationally, around the Alps, maybe Austria but near Italian & Swiss border. Was there a cute translator thrown into the where to live without financial worries fantasy too? :D

Lincoln, New Hampshire...where we will be moving in...let's see...36 hours. (Doing little more than writing and hiking for a year.)

What? Leave Camp Chinook In Wonalancet NH??? Never!

Oh, wait, did leave, but moved back in 1.5 months...

:p

I lived in Anchorage for 2+ years, and would move back in a heartbeat.

I would love to try Colorado, or Seattle on for a spell.

My new employer grew up in Chamonix, and the photos on her fridge of home, and the view she had growing up, well, wow! I would give it a go!
(She claims she is moving back, I don't blame her.)

Nova Scotia is nice too, ocean, hills, good music and Alexander Keith's, what more could a girl need?

:rolleyes:

chinooktrail said:
My new employer grew up in Chamonix, and the photos on her fridge of home, and the view she had growing up, well, wow! I would give it a go!
(She claims she is moving back, I don't blame her.)

:rolleyes:

She must be a Wild Thing :D