Where Would You Live?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess it would be cool to experience all 12 months in a row at my camp in Rangeley Plantation, Maine.

On the other hand, I have lived in the northeast all my life and it would be cool to melt the perma frost in my bones and live in a warm climate for a year. Guess I have to agree with Fisher Cat on Hawaii. Never been there, but his descriptions and Darren's photos have convinced me it's a place worth checking out. Besides, if I get lonesome for snow, I can go climb one of those mountains/volcanoes and descend back to the tropical warmth :cool:

I love this hypothetical stuff...

Fort Lee, NJ
Bhopal
Three Mile Island

OK - in reality - or fantasy -

Wales and/or Scotland
CO -loved Estes Park - great base for hiking
Santa Fe, NM - ditto

But really - I just love Jefferson/Randolph, NH

Ooohhhh so many!

I'm with Gris - Telluride, CO - "To Hell You Ride" - already lived there, but would go back in an instant :D (Got invited to a dinner party at Oliver Stone's house there, but wasn't initially impressed because I had never heard of him. :eek: :D )

Portland, OR or Anchorage, AK

International - Queenstown, NZ - again already lived there (south of Christchurch), but for good reason. :)

spent an afternoon in Lagano, Switzerland once - small lakefront city with awesome buildings surrounded by the foothills of the alps - would love to spend more time there

Colorado seems appealing, have never been, but some of my high school friends have recently relocated there. The balance of outdoors, career prospects, live music scene, and its allegidally a place where many people stay single later in life (as I plan to be, actually I may already be there, depending on who you ask).

Of course, I am way to close to my family to ever leave New England. As it is right now, I live what is considered (by my family's standards) very far from CT, where most of them are.

Last edited:
Vancouver
Burlington, VT
Bishop

You're right Marty. Hawai'i is incredible. I had no desire to go there thinking it was just beach stuff(which I'm not into)and then she pulled out her ace and told me there was hiking there and that did it. Last summer we hit the Waipio Valley on the Big Island and had the chance to hike ancient switchbacks used generations and generations ago, likely made by original inhabitants flleing to safety on an impossible cliff to avoid the more violent Polynesian invasion. Stay away from resorts, eat at the mom & pop places, and hike your 'okole off. One hike encompasses 7 of the 8 climate zones, everything but arctic. Volcanoes, rain forests, the smell of a ginger forest, Mauna Kea at 13,796 feet, yea its great.
But my first choice in the end is my home state,Live Free or Die.

It took us several years, a couple of road trips, and lots of effort, but I'm where I'm supposed to be - in the little town of Inyokern, CA. The picture below is of my wife and our dog, with a Sierra peak (Owens, 8,453') in the background - the gate is at the end of our 10 acres. The sign on the right is "Rooney Home" in old Irish. I am, as Kevin Klein said to William Hurt in The Big Chill - "dug in". Have got the new house nearly built, and will start the studio soon.

If this place didn't exist, then one of these places :

Mt Shasta, CA
Dubois, WY
Durango, CO
Vancouver, BC
The NE Kingdom
Dingle Penisula, IE

b_b.jpg

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Reality check: I live just south of Lincoln, NH, and would love to move to Randolph, NH, at the foot of the northern Presis. But I have too many local friends, and too many ties to the Boston area to move so far north. So when all is said and done, I am perfectly happy where I am :) :) :)

Another vote for Thornton, NH. I actually thought about this very same question for a long time before deciding to buy into Thornton. No regrets.

Wonderland Point of Acadia National Park
Santa Fe
a certain body of water in the Adirondacks

Exactly where I live now. I have no intentions of moving when I retire. There are all sorts of hikes in the Catskills, Gunks, and Hudson Valley that I will be able to do even when I am 100 years old.

But if I was forced to choose something else:
Portland or Eugene, OR
Port Angeles, WA
Vancouver, BC
Queenstown or Te Anau, New Zealand
the Lake District, England
the fjords, Norway
the Black Forest, Germany (in the SW corner where it is still green)
La Grande-Motte, France or Bora Bora. OK, OK, think hiking, Mark. I do like southern France though. So perhaps Cassis -- the Calanques remind me of the Gunks, and I could rock scramble forever.

Maybe Palmer Station, Antarctic Peninsula, or a similar self-contained place in the Arctic that wasn't melting.

dr_wu002 said:
Hey Wu, "everybody knows THIS is nowhere." ;)

OK, seriously:

some little town near Chamonix
Portland, OR
Paris (assuming we could afford to live comfortably, right?)
the Maine woods (ditto)
Lots of places I haven't seen yet.

Oh, and before I forget, Kevin Rooney's house in CA!!!!! :D What a spot, Kevin!

I'd like to live in a tiny remote village in Alaska... Maybe Ketchikan, or perhaps a little more warmer like Valdez or perhaps even downright posh and chose Sitka or Haines....

Jay

Boulder, Colorado fringe area like Nederland, Ward.

Fine outdoor stuff nearby, lots of mountains to play in, but all the comforts of small city life and the BEST damn Whole Foods Market on the planet!

BTW, Kevin, nice digs! Love the pic of the Missus and Brutie. :)