where's my *&$#(@! headlamp?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually drag everything out of my gear locker and place it in the middle of the living room floor. I will pack my tent and sleeping bag the night before, but I like to pack everything else the morning of the hike, otherwise I end up unpacking just to make certain I packed something.

If this reply does not give away the fact that I am a librarian... :D

My gear is basically in small sacks that go into my pack...

emergency gear
food
extra clothes
food
Camelback

After each hike the food and Camelback come out...the other stuff stays unless it needs to be replenished or cleaned...if that is the case that gets dealt with and the stuff all goes right back in the pack.

The morning of the hike the Camelback gets loaded and the food too...

The outside pocket of my pack has my compass and multitool (which I wear on my belt when I hike), as well as my raincover, rainpants and tp...

Top pocket has whistle (I sometimes where the whistle too), maps...

Pretty organized...the small sacks help to keep things organized and dry, and they make it a lot easier to use a different pack...

My current packing endeavor also includes work clothes because I have a two-three day project up in Whitefield, NH....AND my dog Carmen will be joining me (not on the traverse), so I've got all her stuff to pack too....I am a rather organized person so my mess probably looks rather orderly to the average person (not that anyone here is 'average')......

My headlamp is right where it should be, next to the extra batteries and first aid stuff! And, Dugan my vetwrap is all set now.......

Ok, like I am SO excited, I just want to be there now!!!! :D :D :D

...Jade

Charlie built a shed a few years ago, ends up looking like some floors of Hilton's Tent City. It has:

1. 4 or 5 kayaks on the ceiling.
2. several bikes hung from the ceiling
3. a kayak gear area
4. a shelf for just backpacks
5. a box just for hydration
6. a clothing rack for skiing, winter stuff
7. skis organized in slots on the side wall
8. the four sets of crampons are kept each in their original box

With all this organization, we still lose things like crazy.
Where is x map?
I still can't find a camp shoe from the long trail section 2004.
Headlamps - I'm notorious for sticking headlamps in jacket pockets.

Mostly, I try to keep everything that I'll use in my day pack, stored in the daypack.

-L

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread. I am trying to bring my son to the level of self-reliance. so I have him pack his day pack and backpacks. He has come a long way.

My wife is waging a personal war against entropy. She is highly organized. She may get some of you organized for a nominal fee.Although she hikes I would never consider her an outdoor type. She might get you organized alphabeticaly so all Mountain Hardware will come before MSR and The North Face.

I have Bankers Boxes on racks in a room in the basement. One is Winter, one is Food, one is Always Bring, one is Maybe Bring, etc.
As long as I get everything back in the right box AFTER a hike, I'm usually okay. Since I'm often packing for the mini-chips also, I have wound up with all the TP and matches in one pack, 3 knives, 2 Headlamps and a flash light in an other and all the food and water in mine, but...

I'm always half packed....

so I only have half a disaster area going on when I pack. ;)

I always get the food in order first. :D

I always do a mental check list before walking out the door (especially since that time I left for the Catskills without my tentpoles, or the time I left for the 'Dacks Highpeaks in October without the stove- though I had plenty of fuel). :(

I always forget one thing, anyway- and I have come to terms with that. As long as it is not something indispensible- ;) and I have I rarely leave something essential home anyway. I have often had to come up with some creative ideas to make a trip go.

After nearly four decades of gear accumulation and no dispersal, things are now totally out of hand around here. I tried to stay organized for years, but it was futile. Now that my kids have grown up and (mostly) moved out of the house, my gear has expanded outward into their former rooms, not to mention the garage, kitchen, sundeck and living room. Fortunately my girlfriend, who doesn't live here, is also an outdoor-obsessive and understands. When the time comes for me to sell this house and move, I don't know if I'll list it all on Ebay, have a outdoor gear lawn sale, or simply burn it all in a backwoods bonfire of the vanities. Probably all three...

porky

Yeah, wow, this is the view behind the curtain.
The kids, and some friends who adventure with us seem to think this organizing and packing just happens- POOF- Magic time!
Our basement too is a tidal pool of gear which just barely makes sense to me, the keeper of the mayhem. I keep core essentials in one mesh bag which can wind up in a day pack, climbing pack, multi day pig, or kayak/canoe dry bag, This little bag of essentials keeps me from air head gaps in packing despite switching activities (no it doesn't)
My wife has begun to take charge of "her stuff", I guess because I must have done a real sucky job one too many times. She puts everything in ZIP LOCKS which are now available in huge sizes- I fear she may one day put me in one :eek:

jade said:
What does your 'getting ready for a hike' area look like?

...Jade

Except for a simple summertime dayhike:

1. About a week ahead of the trip, I'll make a list.
2. After the list is made, I'll look for each item to make sure I can find it and I'll inspect or test it to make sure it works or has all the parts.
3. When it's packing time, I pile each item on my bed.
4. After everything is on the bed, I put them all in my pack and check the item off the list.
5. I put the pack, boots, etc. in the car.

When I return from the trip:
1. I unpack everything.
2. Dry out whatever is wet.
3. Launder as required.
4. Store everything in its usual spot.

I've found that organized unpacking is the key to preparing for the next trip. (Something I've learned from swapping leads on long rock climbs where the person following a pitch removes gear and racks it neatly to reduce the time needed to rack up for leading the next pitch.)

My husband and I each have "the bin." These are those big Rubbermade bins, filled with all of our smaller gear. Backpacks are hung from a closet pole (snap the hip belt around the pole and it's a great place to hang them) and jackets, pants and fleeces are in the coat closet, but everthing else lives in the bins. My bin is semi-organized; in the summer, all the winter and fall stuff goes to the bottom, and in the winter, all the summer stuff goes to the bottom. But the first aid kit, fire starters and headlamp are always on top, along with the huge plastic bag to line the pack. They always go in first no matter what time of year it is, and then I just throw in the standard clothing and food for the season on top of that. Tuck a couple/three water bottles into the side pockets, map, compass and knife in the little front pocket, and off I go. Packing for a hike usually takes me a grand total of 5 minutes. I guess that's what happens when you've been doing it since you were 10 years old....