Whiteface and Esther (and a Wedding!), June 23, 2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Mileage: 12.8 round trip
Gain:3600 for Whiteface, a bit more added with Esther
ADK 46 numbers 13 & 14

It's 4:00 am on a saturday and the alarm is going off. We've got a wedding to go to! And its on a mountain top, what could be finer? I get to go to a wedding, I don't have to take a day off from hiking to do it! But the best part is the opportunity to witness two wonderful members of our hiking community sealing thier committment to one another and beginning a new phase of thier lives.
The ride from Vermont to the Wilminton Trailhead for Whiteface and Esther Mountains went easily, thanks to some suggestions from TeeJay and PigPen.

We hit the trail about 8:45am, with 5.2 miles and 3620 feet to climb to make it to the Whiteface Summit. With the wedding happening at noon, I was a annoyed that we hadn't left Vermont earlier. I told MichaelJ, "we need to maintain a 2.5 mph pace for the whole way up"..and.."I'm going to be at that wedding!". We struck off at a strong pace and held it. The trail was forgiving and climbed easily for the first two miles. On the way up, we passed through a beautiful open stand of hardwoods. We saw a large porcupine zig zag across the trail twice. Large square boulders dotted the sides of the trail as we climbed.

I admit we were hoofing it pretty fast, with the wedding foremost in our minds, I didn't pay too much attention to the trail. I knew we'd be coming back this way, and we'd see it all on the way down. The trail reaches the first shoulder on Whiteface, and through the trees the tops of neighboring mountains come into view. The trail steepens and becomes rocky, but never extreme. The sugar maples give way to white birch and gradually fir dominate, as the 3400 ft mark is reached. The trail became wetter and rockier, and a few slabs here and there added interest to our climb.

We rounded a bend and began climbing up a steep pitch, and we came upon three hikers. The first of which smiled and said "You're Una_dogger, I recognize you from your avatar! Where's your little dog???" It was Alan (Peakbagr), hiking in a group with rhihn and his lovely wife, Joanne. It was realy great to meet up with them! Peakbagr let us know that we had plenty of time to make the summit, and we were relieved.

We chatted for a bit and then MJ and I headed off, meeting up with them several more times on the hike. The trail reaches a high point, then drops into a boggy col, where it stays for nearly a mile. I was now hiking a bit ahead of MichaelJ, and came upon two more hikers. It was HarryK, who shouted out a "hello Una_dogger"! Its so great running into other members of the hiking community. I was also pretty impressed with myself for having caught up with HarryK ! (He must have been having a slow day... )

HarryK introduced me to Jean, and we all chatted a bit. MJ caught up to us -- and after some small talk, we said goodbye until the summit. We reached a large boulder in the col, that marks the start of the herdpath to Esther. MJ made a mental note, and we continued. The trail now has about 800 feet to climb to the summit of Whiteface, 4867 ft. The climb is gentle and breaks out of the woods near an impressive retaining wall that supports the toll road.
After crossing the road, the trail climbs a large ledge and then remains above treeline for the final half mile or so to the summit. The hike itself is relatively easy, and we were happy to have arrived at about 11:35, just in time to hang out, see old friends (Peak_bagr, Brian, TeeJay, Tom and Laurie) and meet new ones (Pamola, Marchowes, Kerry).

The summit was crowded with tourists and wedding goers alike. Tom and Laurie were happy and totally relaxed. They both wore thier ADK 46er tshirts, a great choice! The wedding was a wonderful assemblage of hikers and family, Tom and Laurie created a perfect way to blend all of the important people in thier lives on this very special day. I could say so much more, but I will save the details for them to share.

We left the summit about 1pm and headed back down the trail on the way to the Esther herdpath. Pamola and Marchowes hiked with us to the boulder, and then we parted ways.

I loved the trail to Esther. Only a week before hiking this peak, I learned the story of its namesake, a young girl name Esther who against her parents wishes, struck off in the woods on her own to climb Whiteface, missing that summit but becoming the first climber to reach Esther. The trail to Esther winds its way through a magical emerald green forest, and as I hiked, my thoughts kept drifting to Esther. I imagined her walking this same path, and seeing the same things we were now seeing.

Before leaving the summit of Whiteface, we were given some great advice by all -- "when on Esther, stay to to the right of the swamp, and you'll be fine". The trail drops to a col, and then ahead in the swamp, I spotted a HUGE pile of lumber -- right in the middle of the swamp..gulp...we knew that Pete Hickey and other maintainers would be out here tommorrow building bog bridges, looks like they'd be getting a bit muddier than they planned. (big thanks to all the volunteers, the swamp is a pretty one and the surrounding forest is seeing alot of erosion as hikers like us try to avoid it and its bootsucking mud).

A few more easy climbs beyond the swamp and we'd topped out on Esther. A memorial plaque to Esther McComb is embedded in the summit slab and it says at its base "for the sheer joy of climbing". Finer words were never spoken, Esther is a joy to climb!

We made our way back to the car, arriving about five pm. On the trip down my quads really began to complain, but we kept going. MJ took the lead and was a great motivator. After all, there was FREE BEER waiting for us at the Lake Placid Brew Pub..thanks again, Tom!

We took Rt 86 from Wilmington to Lake Placid, a beautiful road that follows the West Branch of the Ausable River, and offers commanding views of Whiteface. As we drove along we passed a number of cyclists, and I just couldn't stop commenting what a great ride Rt 86 would be. It turns out there is an IronMan Triathalon in Lake Placid next weekend.

At the brew pub, we hoisted brews with just about everyone from the summit including Maddy, along with a surprise visit by Pete Hickey, whom we assured, "the wood is there". Tom and Laurie were so happy and thier joy was contagious, I think we all had a great time! Thanks again, Tom and Laurie, and I'm so happy to have been able to share your big day!

Whiteface and Esther make ADK 46 13 & 14 for me, and Esther makes number 8 for MichaelJ.

Today, we rounded out the weekend with our first 40 mile bike ride. Woo hoo! What a great weekend, picture perfect weather, great friends, a super hike, yummy beer, and best of all -- seeing two of our own tie the knot.

'Twas a very good hike :)

Congrats to Tom & Laurie!

It was a very cloudy day at first which was a bit disappointing, but as we were on the HP to Esther (We = Pamola, Melissa, hardrain, and I) the clouds were beginning to rise. They held steady at about a 4200-4500' ceiling for a while before burning off a mere hour (or less) before we summited. Sure enough as we reached the summit the 4200-4500 ceiling clouds were off in VT obstructing the summit of Mansfield and barely missing Camel's hump. Meanwhile the Adirondacks had pretty much completely cleared up!

view or Great Range at 11:45:
greatrange.jpg

Nice meeting you all, so many familiar faces and new ones too! :)

<hijack>
My TR and other pictures are here:
http://hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NY/Whiteface070623/
</hijack>
:)

That was an awesome Trip Report Sabrina! :D

And it's not because it was about my wedding either, it simply was a great TR!

Anyway, back to me! :D I mean US! :eek:

Laurie and I got up to LP Friday afternoon, and it was raining. We were pretty sure the weather would clear up the next day, but as the old saying goes "The mountains make their own weather", especially large ones that stand alone. Early the next morning, the mountain was indeed making its own weather, with a standing cloud on the summit forming, breaking up, and reforming again for several hours. But the trend was clearing slowly.

It was chilly at the Hotel, and a tad windy, and I was trying to convince our relatives that it might be very windy and very cold on top, in spite of the mostly sunny day that was setting up. At about 10:15, we started the drive up to the top. When we got to the gate, the chalk board said it was 40 on top! It turned out it was really only 38! :eek: The parking lot was definitely windy too. There was a red fox hanging out on the grass beside the castle. It had no fear of people, which made me nervous! After a bathroom break, we took the elevator up to the top. Andy was our guide, and he told us what to expect when we got to the top. He was a very friendly member of the staff, who is a budding peak bagger! Thanks Andy!

From the top, we could see Montreal, and just about every mountain in NYS! :D Vermont and other places were visible too of course. Several people were already on top, and a steady stream of people were arriving from trails, slides and roads! :D

My sister and father were running a little late, and the ceremony was delayed for these important guests. When the elevator opened and out stepped my sister, I thought we were all set, but some of my family were still down at the bottom of the shaft. Another few minutes went by and we were finally ready to start. The ceremony was pretty cool. My brother sang a song, accompanied by his wife, and then the pastor had his message. He encouraged us to love each other, defining 'love' as a long term commitment. Then we had the vows, and the ring exchange. It was pretty simple, but pretty profound. The smiling faces and awesome back drop of nature were a nice mix.

After a summit kiss (or 2!) we had Summit Kiss IPA from Pamola! :D It was a beer brewed in tribute to a beer that Pete Hickey suggested to him, which was a beer brewed in tribute of LPPB's Frostbite IPA! (BTW, it's being renamed again to Lake Placid IPA!) The label has Whiteface on it and a picture of Laurie and I kissing on Allen (our final W46), plus some other nice details. Pamola had brought enough for everyone to have a few sips, and it was mighty tasty! :D It was served in a ceramic mug that Kerry made for us. Thanks again dude and dudette! :D

link to pics ........

We hung out for a while, receiving hugs, hand shakes and congratulations from the assembled masses. After a while, we made our way back down to the cars and the Cascade Inn for a family reception. By about 4:30 we were over at LPPB hoisting some cold ones as HarryK would say, with another assembled mass of hikers. A few more people who were unable to make it to the summit joined us here. We took over the back right corner of the bar for a few hours and had a blast.

What a day! Thanks everyone! At the risk of leaving anyone out, our thanks, in no particular order, go out to:

Pamola
Melissa
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger
Maddie
Bush Whacker
Unadogger
MichealJ
Warren
Miss Margaret
Marchowes
HardRain
The Hihns
Kerry
HarryK
Jean
Elie and friend
Pete Hickey
Fred Bloom
MountainMeijin and mom
TJ
Pete Fish
The Whites
Joe Cedar
The hiker with a 46R tattoo on his arm, and a cigar in his mouth!
And anyone else who was with us in spirit!

Tom and Laurie -

It was a pleasure to witness 2 friends united in this way and in this beautiful place. May the years be kind to you and the downs only on the trails.

Best wishes and good luck,

Alan

What a day. Best introduction to the mountains (and the people of the mountains) of NY possible.

Great to meet everybody, from Tom and Laurie's respective famililies to all the VFTT folks. Great chatting with MichaelJ and Una_dogger on the trail and Harryk and jean in the pub.

And of course, a hearty congrats to Tom and Laurie. What a great place to tie the knot. Thanks for the beers and the oppertunity to join you on a day like this.

Happy trails!

Congratultions Tom and Laurie... Sounds like a great day with a wonderful way to join your passions, your friends, and your loved ones! Here's hoping the path you share in your lives is as adventurous and rewarding as the ones that brought you together.
Happy Trails :D

CRW_0306.jpg

I don't have much to add to una_dogger's excellent trip report. We flew up that mountain in about 3 hours, easily the fastest ascending pace I've ever done. I got to the top just a few minutes after her, and was incredibly psyched to have gotten that out of my body.

CRW_0404.jpg

The wedding was simple, beautiful, and wonderful to witness. Huge congratulations to Tom & Laurie!

The hike over to Esther was not nearly as bad as some folks made it out to be. The swamp was small, and as of the next day has bog bridges; the few blowdowns were easy to navigate. It was a small but nice little summit, and then we were back on the trail for a quad-stretching high-speed descent.

CRW_0455.jpg

Unfortunately, I've had some troubles with the Topo and Google Earth images because I left the GPS on for the entire drive back to Vermont. However, their absence will not diminish the enjoyment you'll find in looking at the entire photo album :D

As always, my thanks and love to una_dogger! She surprised me with our first 40+ mile bike ride the next day, which was huge fun as well as my fastest hill yet at 39.35mph. Woo-hoo!

MichaelJ -

Nice pictures - looked like a great time for all.
Be careful looking at your spedometer on the bike when you are going 40 mph downhill (I am assuming you were going downhill!) :eek:
I wonder if there are any other mountain weddings in the works... :)

MichaelJ said:
Thanks MJ!

To answer a few of your caption questions:

The pastor was Marlow Dunham.

The young lady with the familiar camera was my daughter Christine. The guitar player is Bob Rankin.

The guy with Margaret and Warren was Joe Bogardus, aka Joe Cedar, also the president of the 3500 Club.

sapblatt said:
Be careful looking at your spedometer on the bike when you are going 40 mph downhill

Oh, I don't look at it at all on the hill - I wait and check the max speed afterward!
:)