Winter Car Question???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Now I know this is a NE hiking site, but I have a very serious NE related question that I am sure that all of you could relate to. Being the avid hiker myself I travel up to New Hamphsire every weekend and stay at my GF’s place at Tenney Mtn. Being that this has been my first winter out of school I have had all my weekends free and have made the most of them. Now I am in the pursuit of getting a new car to replace my 98 VW Jetta. It has been a good car but is not the best in the snow. All of these car review sites you go onto will tell you all about the car BUT never tell you how it does in the snow. I am sure you all know it only takes getting stuck once to see how you really feel about your car. So here goes, good winter cars??? NO SUV’s please. I am in the anit-SUV revolution. I don’t know about you but I get sick seeing the mass migration of gigantic gas guzzeling SUV’s traveling up north with TV’s in the back for the kids. I am also trying to find something $16,000 or below used. My main pic is the Toyota Matrix AWD. Anybody have any thoughts. Gas mileage is HUGE to me as well, so I am not thinking of anything that does less than 30mpg on HW. Sorry to those of you who thinks that this post goes against this site, but this def does affect how easily I get to the Mtns.

AWD of course is the easy answer. However, I have found that good dedicated snow tires make a big difference in winter performance (compared with M & S all season tires) for either FWD or AWD. So, if the Jetta is otherwise fine, I would try that first.

Good luck with your 'revolution'.

For AWD in a car, you are looking at Audi/VW and Volvo perhaps, but more affordably Subaru (by far the most common make I see showing up for winter hikes).

I second the suggestion for snow tires. Early during the first year I owned my Honda Civic, I hit black ice and ended up skidding into a ditch, the next weekend I put studded snow tires on the car and I cannot tell you how many times those tires have saved my life while driving to and from the mountains. I will always invest the extra money for snow tires during winter.

Do a search for winter tires and the old thread with suggestions should come up. Good Luck,

sli74

A used Subaru Legacy Outback or perhaps a 2.5RS.

Third the good snow tires, I previous car, a BMW was pretty good in Blizzak in the snow as long as it wasn't too high. The stock Bridgestones were horrible though. Traction control was helpful when moving but wasn't that great at a standstill.

Nokians make pretty good snow tires and I liked my Blizzaks thought they are fairly soft and will wear fast if you don't drive in snow alot. I've heard the Michelin snow tires are a good mix of grip in the snow while being longer lasting than the Blizzaks. I forget the model but it's a Michelin.

Jay

If you are looking at AWD, you chances of getting 30+MPG are pretty small. There really aren't any/many models to choose from that get 30 or above. Check http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ for particular models. The Matrix AWD is listed as 31 highway, but my guess is that in the real world you'll get slightly less.

Snow tires will help any car do better in the snow. The Jetta can be a fine winter car with 4 snows.

-dave-

AWD is nice but the problem with most AWD vehicles is you won’t be able to get better than 30mpg. AWD and 4WD add more resistance to the engine than a 2WD. This is because the engine has to power two axils instead of just one. I have a ’98 Forester and I average 24 – 27mpg mixed city and highway. I’ve gotten as good as 30mpg and as poor as 22mpg with it. I’ve had no problems with it in the snow and only got stuck once for a brief moment when I was trying to drive through a 3’ snow bank. I just backed the car up and got through it on the second try.

Last edited:
Winter car

I have a TDI Jetta and have never had an issue in the snow, I echo the previous tire statments, I commuted for 50 miles each direction for a long time and it has served me well. I easily pull 50mpg. A friend of mine got a 2005 Golf TDI and would echo the same feelings. The Golf TDI would be in your price range and its a hatch back great for fitting packs and stuff.

good luck

I love my Subaru Outback. It's great in snow, but sketchy on ice (as is any AWD vehicle). I run Futura All Seasons on it (made by Cooper, sold by Pep Boys) and they were great this winter. Best thing is that if you are shorter than 6 feet, you have a reasonably comfortable travelling hotel. FWIW, I get about 25.5 mph with the 4 banger.

Besides, The Subaru Outback is the Official Vehicle of VFTT :D

I just picked up a 2003 subaru legacy awd. I woke up to the snowstorm on lake Erie Sunday morning. I had no trouble driving out in the wet heavey, sluchy mess.

For the record I do not dislike my Jetta, my main concerns with it would be getting stopped going up a hill and not being able to get going again. Other than that I have no complaints. As long as a Jetta is moving in snow it is not a problem. Does anyone now why Jetta have such a bad rap for maintenence, b/c mine has been fine. I guess it is b/c I have the 2.slow instead of the 1.8t

Front wheel drive + snow tires + common sense will work for most cars. Studded snow tyres are even better if you can stand the noise :) It also doesn't hurt to throw a container of sand in the trunk.

Of the three ingredients 'common sense' is the most important. On my 400+ mile round trip hiking commute on I91 it's always the 'I'm invincible' SUVs that are littered by the roadside in the crappiest of conditions. The laws of physics pay no heed to the type of vehicle you drive!

Bob

I currently own a Mazda Protégé and drive to NH from CT every weekend. So far I haven’t had a problem with the snow, but I do plan on getting snow tires next winter just for added insurance. I too find it interesting that the majority of cars that go off the road on I91 in Vermont are SUV’s. I do have to admit that I do get a perverse sense of joy when they have NY plates (sorry).

HikerBob said:
Front wheel drive + snow tires + common sense will work for most cars. It also doesn't hurt to throw a container of sand in the trunk.
Uhh... Sand in the trunk: Don't do it for weight in a FWD car--not over the drive wheels. (Ok if you just want some to throw on ice or have a RWD car.)

HikerBob said:
it's always the 'I'm invincible' SUVs that are littered by the roadside in the crappiest of conditions.
4WD/AWD makes it easier to go fast in snow, doesn't help maneuverability, braking, or driver IQ.

They say 4WD/AWD just enables one to get stuck in deeper.

Doug

I'm with Ruger and Dave Metsky here - I owned a TDI Jetta for a few years back when I used to pound out miles between PA & NJ. I used snow tires in the winter and was fine - even in snow/ice at AT trailheads. You can also get it with what they call Anti Slip Regulation - AKA Traction Control in other vehicles.

Only problem is (As I am continuosly finding with this state) is that you cannot buy a diesel vehicle in MA.
On a sad note, the Jeep Liberty with it's new diesel gets 27 MPG - Almost as good as the Subaru, but again, I cannot buy one here.

A freind of mine in VT who commutes 30 + miles per day to work over a mountain gap has really been loving his Toyota Matrix. Loves the milage and AWD. Gas prices forced him to dump the old Suburban.

I've owned a VW Rabbit, Rabbit GTI and Golf GTI with manual transmissions and they all were fine with 4 snow tires and all got 30+ mpg. However, my Subaru Legacy with auto and 4 snows works even better in snow, but it only gets 25 mpg.

jkrew, don't give up on the Jetta if it is mechanically sound. Indeed, studded snow tires on all four wheelswill help tremendously. We did this with our Golf and had good results. Usually the only problem you may have is driving during the storm. They road crews up north do a pretty good job on the roads I think. I now have 2WD(rear) and have had good luck so far with four studded snow tires. Carpooling with a friend who has AWD has been helpful too. Perhaps pre owned Subaru AWD would be your best bet if you needed a new car anyway. Drive safely and good luck.

Ohh I am not giving up on my beloved Jetta. It has served me well and has just over 100,000 miles on it and keeps ticking. I have just come to the conclusion that even though I do not want to get rid of it, I have to think ahead and begin to prepare for things to start going wrong with it. Pretty much I cannot afford to have a car that requires repairs worth more than the value of the car. I like the Subarus, but the Matrix wins the vote here I think. Even with FWd, it gets better gas mileage than any Subaru in creation and it is pretty damn near impossible to beat Toyota for reliabilty. Thanks for all of your thoughts guys, snow tires win over AWD and it is cheaper too.

Doug - Yes, I meant for throwing under the tyres (or boots!) in an icy lot and not for weight.

Bob

Winter Car

AWD vs. FWD, it doesn't matter on ice unless you have studded winter tires. I've always used them on every car I've owned. Being a former ski racing coach (and current hockey parent), I've never had any trouble getting where I want to go in winter (including various mountains in Maine, New Hampshire and Quebec).

I currently drive a Saturn (front wheel drive) with studded tires. It gets great gas mileage (recently - 3 tankfuls from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Bethel, Maine and return).