Winter Hiking Boots Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer true cold weather climbing boots with a full shank and rocker sole. I've been using Millet Alpinist boots for the past 3 years and they have been perfect in every way. I've been in some extremely cold temps and my feet were always warm, dry & comfortable.

Whatever you do make sure you get a proper fit. Make sure the store you go to has a knowledgeable boot fitter or better yet do lots of research and "test fittings" on your own to refine your boot fitting skills and you'll be better off.

It's surprising just how many outdoor retailers have no idea on how to properly fit boots. Rigid sole boots, especially plastics are fit incorrectly 90% of the time in my opinion. If you do end up going with plastic boots feel free to contact me and I'll gladly share with you how I go about fitting plastics. It's worked 100% of the time for every person who has used my method which was taught to me by a friend who lived in Alaska and was a boot fitter for clients who were climbing Denali.

...Rigid sole boots, especially plastics are fit incorrectly 90% of the time in my opinion. If you do end up going with plastic boots feel free to contact me and I'll gladly share with you how I go about fitting plastics. It's worked 100% of the time for every person who has used my method which was taught to me by a friend who lived in Alaska and was a boot fitter for clients who were climbing Denali.

How about sharing that knowledge with the whole gang.

I have Columbia Ice Crushers (or maybe Dragons, I don't know who the boot's mascot is, I've never seen him). Anyway, the boots are fine. Comfortable, warm, good sole. One of the benefits of having ultra-low standards is that I can wear a garbage product and be pleased with it.

I'll agree with you. I wear the Columbia Ice Crushettes (the women's version) and I've really enjoyed them for my winter hiking (yes, this includes 4000 footers).

North Face 4 Shadows did the trick for me last winter..Fit my wide toe/narrow heel foot...lace securely with no toe bang..great in snowshoes or spikes..I only used crampons a couple of times last winter but they were fine for that as well.

they weigh nothing

Worn out of the box..never got wet feet all winter..I liked them so much I got a second pair so as to rotate them this winter

A few of you requested the method I use to fit plastic boots so here it is.

It's actually quite simple to properly fit double plastic boots. The key to getting the correct fit is to NOT fit the whole boot, meaning the liner and the shell together. Here is the fitting process.

1) Remove liners from outer boot & set them aside.

2) Take a short 6" metal ruler and put it into the boot.

3) Adjust the metal ruler so it is snug up against the heel area of the shell.

4) Wearing your typical winter sock system put your foot into the shell (without liner) and slide your foot forward until your toes are touching the front of the shell. Make sure you're standing up nice and straight when you slide your foot forward.

5) Have a friend make sure the ruler is snug up to the heel of the shell while you make sure your toes are touching the front of the shell.

6) Look down at the ruler (still standing up nice and straight) you want to see about 1" of space between your heel and the heel of the shell.

7) This is the size shell your feet require.

8) Fit the liner by buying a liner in the same size as your shoe size. Some people may be 1/2 size down or up just as most people are with regular shoes.

My shells are size 9 and my liners are 10.5. The only problem with using this method is stores wont let you mix & match liners and shells. I was able to do this because I got mine from my friend when he was living and working up in Alaska. He was a boot fitter and this is the method he used for years and years with great success.

kasari -

It sounds like your system would require the purchase of two pairs of plastic boots for most customers.

I don't know if/where this fits in to your custom method - it's my understanding that some makers of plastic boots make a boot capable of fitting multiple sizes, and then use a liner boot of various thickness to make the shell fit a multiple of foot sizes.

It also can be difficult to buy just a replacement liner - the manufacturers want to sell you the entire boot.

Kevin,

That is exactly what most plastic boot mfgs do and it's also why fitting plastics is so difficult. The big problems start when the liners get packed out a little. Most liners aren't very high quality and they pack out quite quickly.

A solution would be to size the plastics using my method and then buy 3rd party liners such as Intuition Denali liners. This way you get the correct size shells and liners which are VERY high quality. I would contact Intuition and ask them how thick the liners are and then compare them to the stock liner thickness. My Koflach plastics are in dire need of new liners so I'll be going with the Intuition Denali liners when I do get around to buying them.

Last edited:
I have two pairs of Salomons. B-52s for -12 temps and Tundras, rated for -40 with light weight aerogel insulation. Both boots are light weight, warm, waterproof, and great fitting. Crampons and snowshoes work great with both pairs.

I'm a Salomon fan and I've had my B-52's for about 4 or 5 seasons now. I've worn them to 10 below without any issues. I don't even think about trying to find my plastics anymore.

JohnL

Wow, those look really nice. I want to like Salomons so badly, but I think they are cut too wide for my very narrow feet... end up with terrible toe-bang on descents :(.

I have narrow feet and often get boots in women's sizes. I've never had a problem with the Salomons winter boots.

I agree with the comments that they are very warm, I've worn them up to several 4,000 footers in winter and they seem to hold a crampon nicely.

That said I wouldn't wear them up to Mt. Washington.

I have narrow feet and often get boots in women's sizes. I've never had a problem with the Salomons winter boots.

I agree with the comments that they are very warm, I've worn them up to several 4,000 footers in winter and they seem to hold a crampon nicely.

Why not? :confused::confused::confused:

I think you probably could. I've worn my Solomon winter (leather) boots up Washington in the winter. I used strap on crampons. The wind chill that day was -40. My feet were sung as a bug.... I couldn't have asked for anything better. :)

I think you probably could. I've worn my Solomon winter (leather) boots up Washington in the winter. I used strap on crampons. The wind chill that day was -40. My feet were sung as a bug.... I couldn't have asked for anything better. :)

My statement was based on the advice of others that plastic boots where needed to stay warm on top of Washington. I'm happy to be wrong on that statement because I really find the Solomon boots much more comfortable.

My statement was based on the advice of others that plastic boots where needed to stay warm on top of Washington. I'm happy to be wrong on that statement because I really find the Solomon boots much more comfortable.

Then you'll be happy to know you're wrong. :D Or, rather, whoever told you that was wrong. I've been quite warm on plenty of subzero hikes w/o plastic boots, in -50 wind chills above treeline, in snow and sleet and slush, etc. Other body parts get cold well before my feet do, and I've never owned plastic boots.

I work for REI. My thoughts and opinions do not reflect those of REIs and I do not speak for REI in any way.

Okay then.

I have hiked in plastics for the past four winters. While I have always been warm, they weigh a darn ton, even the lighter ones, in comparison to some of the soft boots. I would still use my plastics for "in tent" overnights and obviously for ice climbing, but I am looking at a set of soft boots for day hikes. I just can't justify hauling the plastics on a day hike.

My buck O five.
Joe.

Lots of people rave about the Salomon B52s.

I will be trying out the Garmont Momentum Snow GTXs this year:
http://www.zappos.com/garmont-momentum-snow-gtx~2

I had the opportunity to check them out at a friend's house this past weekend. Fairly lightweight (looks like they are a little over 1lb lighter than the Ice Dragons), VERY stiff sole for a non-mountaineering boot (not that it matters because I almost never use crampons) and solid construction.

Bought a pair last week...Look and feel pretty nice..Use SF Thermal insoles

I adore my Salomons. I think they are the "Snowtrip" variety (black with red details). Not plastic, but very warm, waterproof, and they seem to work just fine with crampons. Have so far held up very well with fairly frequent winter use, including about 20 of the NH 4,000 footers. The specs say they are rated to -40 degrees. I tend to be a cold-feet person; but have been plenty warm in these. (Coldest I've tested is about -10.)

Sooooo much more comfortable than my summer boots, which are Asolos. My feet rejoice now that it is winter hiking season. Finally, a women's boot that is wide enough in the toe, without being too wide in the heel. I got them on a great sale, and I paid about $67 dollars for them (new). Worth every penny!

Last edited:
moving on from plastic boots

Does the thinsulate make a big warmth difference. I contemplating going with a pair of inov-8 390 GTX (non-insulated) boots and an overboot like these:

http://www.40below.com/products_Results_overboots.php?CategoryName=overboots

Only problem is I don't know how they'd work with microspikes.

Or I'll just go with one of the other good suggestions on here.

Does the thinsulate make a big warmth difference. I contemplating going with a pair of inov-8 390 GTX (non-insulated) boots and an overboot like these:

http://www.40below.com/products_Results_overboots.php?CategoryName=overboots

Only problem is I don't know how they'd work with microspikes.

Or I'll just go with one of the other good suggestions on here.

I've considered overboots and posed the question here about why they aren't more popular in the northeast.

Overboots work in terms of keeping your feet warmer, but they're big and clunky. Hard to get snowshoes and crampons on. Plus, usually they don't have any tread to speak of, so not only they cumbersome - so look a little silly trying to stay upright.

But, if it's -70F, and you moving slowing over short distances - just the ticket.

You might look into insulated supergaiters. I have a pair, and they work fairly well. Just put them on your boots in the comfort of your home - not on the trail - as they are a devil to get on.