Wireless RF remote

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmorgan

Reaction score
Long Island, NY Avatar: The REAL Dylan goe
Got tired of sitting outside with my camera trying to coax birds into range for a picture. My IR Remote wasn't working well due to the sun/distance, and the birds weren't getting close enough with the whole 2 feet of cord on the wired remote.

After doing some searching I found this site RF Remote for Canon Rebel XT which had been reviewed by another site.

Decided to take the plunge and order ($10 off right now) and I should have it early next week and will write up a review for the forum after playing, er, I mean, testing it.

Not too easy to find RF remotes for the Rebel... Darren, how do you get such great bird shots?

Kevin

Uh oh...somebody's getting a new toy.

I think some of my favorite bird shots have been with wide angles on wireless remotes, as a bird flies into a feeding station. Don't forget to REALLY experiment when you get this going!

Interesting. I would like to try something similar for my 5D. The Canon's wireless transmitter is probably great but it's huge and costs pretty penny.

I use the Pocket Wizard system for both the XTi and 5D. Different cables are needed for each camera.
The Zap-Shot system does look much more compact and inexpensive, although the range is quite a bit less.

That looks lliek a good deal. I've wanted a RF trigger for a long time but the ones I have seen are always big bucks. It is a bummer that the $89 Zap Shot doesn't work with my 20D. I might have to build my own one of these days - just rip the guts out of a $20 radio shack remote control car and get the right cable interface for the 20D.

As Jim said, I would love to have a RF remote trigger and use my 10-22mm super wide angle lens and have it very close to a bird feeder. That could produce some very cool shots.

My bird shots right now are taken with my 100-400 soom at around 370mm. On the 20D with the 1.6x crop , that puts me around 600mm. I shoot from my living room out a window to a bird feeder that is about 8' away. I have it all set up and thought out in advance. The feeder is just past the minimum focus distance of the lens. The background is a pine tree about 18' away. At that focal length and distance the background blurs out nicely, even at f8. I made a blide from foam core and stick it in the window and shoot through a cut out in it.

I'll see if I can take some pix of the set up and post a thread.

- darren

ps: anyone know of a cheap RF trigger for the Canon 20D? Less than $100...

Pocket Wizard

Tim Seaver said:
I use the Pocket Wizard system for both the XTi and 5D. Different cables are needed for each camera.
The Zap-Shot system does look much more compact and inexpensive, although the range is quite a bit less.

I love the pocket Wizards. They are great for setting up remote wireless strobes as well.

I used a Pocket Wizard and a 17-55mm set up on top of a ladder close to the bird house on these:

00_Bird%20Watching.jpg

06.jpg

and a 300mm f2.8 w a 1.4 converter for this:
02.jpg

More pix here: http://www.thepaivas.com/family/Birds/index.html

darren said:
That looks lliek a good deal. I've wanted a RF trigger for a long time but the ones I have seen are always big bucks. It is a bummer that the $89 Zap Shot doesn't work with my 20D. I might have to build my own one of these days - just rip the guts out of a $20 radio shack remote control car and get the right cable interface for the 20D.

<snip>

ps: anyone know of a cheap RF trigger for the Canon 20D? Less than $100...

Adorama has one, supposedly, (20D Remote ) but it looks like, from the photo, that it uses the mini plug like on my Rebel XT. They do sell adapters, but the little things are almost $50.

If you're handy you can also make an adapter, here's a page detailing how to do it: Adapter

Kevin

PS. Got my release today. Gonna check it out later, will keep informed. -- KJM

Last edited:
That is weird that they list that remote for the 20D when you would clearly need an adapter.

That remote hack page is cool. I wonder how long a cable you could get away with. Might not need to get a RF remote if I could just splice my wired remote and get it working far enough away. I only need about 20' or so.

- d